Anybody try green tea to aid in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    There may be 'articles' talking about the benefits of weight loss, but most if not all, don't have any references to back up the claim. There are also articles on benefits of cleanses and fad diets, too. Unfounded.
    brower47 wrote: »
    I drink green tea everyday. I've lost over 50 lbs.

I drink water everyday. I lost over 30 lbs.
    I've been drinking water, soda, juice, coffee and tea...37lbs down.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lost weight, then quit and gained it back
    drinking green tea for life
    i don't care if it's water intake, caffeine or what

Or co-incidence.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lost weight, then quit and gained it back
    drinking green tea for life
    i don't care if it's water intake, caffeine or what

Or co-incidence.

Much more likely. The amount of caffeine in an average cup of green tea is about 25% of the caffeine in one average cup of coffee (95-200mg for coffee vs. 24-45 for green tea, according to the USDA Nutrient Database), so it would be akin to saying that drinking a quarter cup of coffee every day would boost your weight loss (or cause you to gain if you quit drinking it).

Nothing wrong with green tea, it's tasty and appears to have some health benefits - but as far as weight loss, it's not going to make any significant difference.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day. With copious amounts of cream and sugar. I've lost almost 20 lbs:)

OP, green tea won't change your caloric deficit, which is the thing that REALLY helps you lose weight, but it can, much like my coffee does for me, keep you straight when you're having cravings or feeling hungry in your brain but not in your stomach. Not because of anything special about green tea, but because it gives you something to do with your hands, and it can be a good coping mechanism for an oral fixation (I've got that issue, smoked a long time because of it and gum just wasn't cuttin' it, now I'm a quitter!!!). I used t jam food in my mouth after quitting smoking because I have an oral fixation attached to that action that I was once addicted to. Hot fluids seem to handle it for me, so maybe they'll help you out too:) But obviously don't do it unless you like green tea and want to drink it regardless of your weight loss goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I just started drinking decaf relax tea. I certainly hope I don't gain weight back. :D

I kid.

Seriously, green tea is wonderful, along with the other calorie free beverages, but the only requirement to lose weight is to eat at a calorie deficit.

However, the way I see it is....if I'm drinking a non-calorie beverage, whether it be green tea, water, whatever, instead of filling my tummy with food that is not needed (because calorie restriction is my goal), then I'm doing okay!
  • TheDaintyArrow
    TheDaintyArrow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I just started drinking decaf relax tea. I certainly hope I don't gain weight back. :D

I kid.
    lol, you won't. My 3lb gain was due to me eating up to 1000 calories over TDEE every day for a week. Winter bulk ;)

OP, what everyone is trying to say is that it doesn't matter what you eat or drink, it matters that you burn more than consume.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Tamarawr43 wrote: »
    Yes, of course but on top of all the exercise and calorie deficit is what I'm getting to. I'm not asking if it's a miracle working weight aid because I know it's not lol just wondering how much is actually helps on top of everything. Thanks for the facts though guys

If you're really curious about this, you can look for the studies and read up on it yourself. Most of them haven't shown much. There have been some studies that show a very, very slight increase in metabolism (the oft cited 4% from a 1999 study - or about 50-100 extra calories a day). But that's within the margin of error for most people who calorie count.

If you want to drink green tea, go for it. But there's no real solid information on how much you'd need or what kind of interactions it might have for us to give you.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    No only as a preworkout. Didn't help.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Still drink green tea cuz it's great for health, but it's all about CICO (calories in, calories out).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day and I have lost over eighty pounds. Green tea has been researched to death for potential health benefits, which are really quite small. A cup of lightly sweetened green tea is delightful however.

I carefully measure my cheese because it is quite calorific. Most helpful for losing weight is weighing and logging food intake and staying close to your calorie target for the day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »
    Still drink green tea cuz it's great for health, but it's all about CICO (calories in, calories out).

How..?
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think people latched onto the 'increased metabolism' thing because of articles stating studies had shown that but what they choose not to realise is that they'd have to drink a pond full of green tea every day for it to make any significant difference to their metabolism, which is impossible.

The myth has done wonders for the profits of tea manufacturers though B)
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago, and I saw no noticeable effects from it. I drank it as tea and also consumed it in capsule form.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I took green tea extract for a while...I lost zero weight. If you are already restricting your calories to lose, green tea could be part of your healthy diet. It MIGHT have very slight impact on increased metabolism. In all honesty, my understanding from research I've done is that the only thing that, over time, really speeds up your metabolism is lifting weights. By all means, keep drinking it and if it helps with your deficit, then great. If not, at least it tastes good.
  • cwthx
    cwthx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea every day and take a green tea extract. People always say that I don't look like I need to lose weight. So, it must have helped to slowy weight gain. Four days ago was 100th day and I lost 15.6 lbs. Whatever fat on my tummy is gone. I will continue to drink tea and take supplements.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Green tea ice cream for me:

yiwgjmyou7ef.jpeg

That is one ice cream that I don't wanna eat ! Yucky!!!!!
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Green tea ice cream for me:

yiwgjmyou7ef.jpeg

That is one ice cream that I don't wanna eat ! Yucky!!!!!

We agree again :o:p:)