Anybody try green tea to aid in weight loss?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwthx wrote: »
    I drink green tea every day and take a green tea extract. People always say that I don't look like I need to lose weight. So, it must have helped to slowy weight gain. Four days ago was 100th day and I lost 15.6 lbs. Whatever fat on my tummy is gone. I will continue to drink tea and take supplements.

Are you saying that you lost this weight without a calorie deficit due to green tea?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Green tea ice cream for me:

yiwgjmyou7ef.jpeg

That is one ice cream that I don't wanna eat ! Yucky!!!!!

We agree again :o:p:)

Hell may be freezing over now . lol
  • treezy83
    treezy83 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I drink one 16.9oz diet green tea a day. Ive been doing it for over 6 years. I use to drink root beer soda all day long but decided to switch to something more healthier. One bottle of green tea and water for the rest of the day. It says green tea helps with weight loss but in my opinion I don't think it does. If you read more into it, it helps push out all that extra sugars and crap your body is storing that you don't need. One of the side affects is excessive urination. That's the green tea getting rid of all the stuff and trust me it does happen. Yesterday, I think I peed about 15x and Im not exaggerating. If your looking into getting started with the green tea, its a good choice. No cals, sugars ect. Very good choice. Altho, I did have to get use to the taste.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    treezy83 wrote: »
    I drink one 16.9oz diet green tea a day. Ive been doing it for over 6 years. I use to drink root beer soda all day long but decided to switch to something more healthier. One bottle of green tea and water for the rest of the day. It says green tea helps with weight loss but in my opinion I don't think it does. If you read more into it, it helps push out all that extra sugars and crap your body is storing that you don't need. One of the side affects is excessive urination. That's the green tea getting rid of all the stuff and trust me it does happen. Yesterday, I think I peed about 15x and Im not exaggerating. If your looking into getting started with the green tea, its a good choice. No cals, sugars ect. Very good choice. Altho, I did have to get use to the taste.

What "crap" or "stuff" is my body storing that I don't need that can be pushed out by green tea? And what specific ingredient or ingredients in green tea is pushing it out that I couldn't accomplish with a cup of coffee or plain water?

And before I trust you that it does happen, could you please explain the mechanism by which it happens and maybe link me to a scientific study or two about it?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    treezy83 wrote: »

What exactly is the tea removing from your system ? Please explain further as to why you feel green tea is " pushing out extra sugars and crap" .
    Do you think this green tea is more effective then just drinking water or coffee ? Explain why please
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    She's probably talking about the anti-oxidants, I'd guess. I have never read that they have an effect on sugar, but they do make green tea a great choice of beverage, imho, if you can 'take' caffeine. (If we really have to go through the science on anti-oxidants beacuse I said that, I'm going to have to walk my dog first).

I don't drink it because I don't know how it affects my GERD. I do like the taste, though. The ice cream looks yummy!
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Green tea ice cream for me:

yiwgjmyou7ef.jpeg

That is one ice cream that I don't wanna eat ! Yucky!!!!!

We agree again :o:p:)

Hell may be freezing over now . lol

Fa shizzle! Lol
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i eat and drink everything except green tea and lost in a year..........

95069916.png
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Everything helps beside green tea protects your cells so go for it. But green tea is not a main source to lose lots of weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Tea is to quench your thirst and lets face it, green tea is yummy. Caloric deficit is for weight loss.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Green tea - as with any tea - I find helpful in supressing hunger. Definitely better than plain water for me in this respect - although I've never tried drinking hot plain water.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Green tea - as with any tea - I find helpful in supressing hunger. Definitely better than plain water for me in this respect - although I've never tried drinking hot plain water.

This does work for me. It helps avoid boredom eating for sure because plain water can be a bit umm...plain! Flavored green tea definitely helps curb unnecessary snacking.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Duhigg in his book Habit, suggests that toothpaste took off as a national habit because of it's minty fresh taste. Teeth can be cleaned with flavourless powders or creams, but then we don't get that rewarding minty tingle.

Flavoured water and teas give us an additional reward for hydrating and for filling up calorie-free. I'm drinking Perrier in the evenings these days because of the tingly bubbles. It helps me feel that I'm getting something out of the exchange.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good article on green tea and its effects, with links to reviews of studies. The paragraph about green tea being used to prevent tooth decay made me smile. I find the NHS website to generally be full of reliable information.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/superfoods/pages/is-green-tea-a-superfood.aspx
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I drink green tea everyday. I've lost over 50 lbs.

Correlation is not causation.
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink it for the health benefits, not for weight loss. I crave hot drinks a lot, and as these things go, green tea just packs a punch.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    cwthx wrote: »
    I drink green tea every day and take a green tea extract. People always say that I don't look like I need to lose weight. So, it must have helped to slowy weight gain. Four days ago was 100th day and I lost 15.6 lbs. Whatever fat on my tummy is gone. I will continue to drink tea and take supplements.

I drink green tea daily too. My belly is still there, mocking me. I will still continue to drink green tea because it's delicious and is especially flavorful in my smoothies.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I drink it for the health benefits, not for weight loss. I crave hot drinks a lot, and as these things go, green tea just packs a punch.

What health benefits are those?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

What health benefits are those?

We're frequently told to steam our vegetables instead of boil them, as so many of the micronutrients get poured down the sink when draining them. The way I see it, tea is the opposite, you throw away the vegetables and drink the water :-)
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Think about those countries where people drink tea (yes, green tea, black tea, whatever tea) regularly for hundreds and thousands of years. If this is really that magical for losing weight, there's no such term "obesity" "overweight" "weight-loss" in their countries/ languages, and the local companies selling weight-loss products might have gone bankrupt already.

It's a zero cal drink with a pleasant scent and high variety of choice. That's how I see it! (And plus, bad diet choice and bad oral hygiene can easily ruin whatever benefit that green tea might bring us)