Nausea with Protein Intake

Options
I experience mild nausea after eating a protein-rich meal. For example, for breakfast often I make a 3-egg scramble with sausage, peppers and onions with shredded cheese sprinkled on it. This will cause a bit of nausea after I eat it (I don't eat fast). Similarly, with eating chicken and turkey I feel a bit nauseated after my meal. Now I can't tell you exactly how many grams of protein are in these intakes because admittedly I've been slacking on my calorie counts. I'm just curious about this and if anyone else experiences it. I've ruled out some other causes by eliminating them and switching up my meal routines, and it comes down to meals with more protein (happens with protein shakes, too, and that is 30g per serving). It's not enough to really bother me or make me sick, it's just curious to me.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I need to drink copious amounts of water (16-24 fl oz) when I'm eating a meal with over 15 g of protein or else I get nauseous.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My diary is a bit old; I was lifting a lot at that time, but not so much now, so my need has been decreased.
  • CraziJessi
    CraziJessi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Taking a digestive enzyme before your meal could help.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I found that when I first changed my macros to a higher level of protein I felt slightly nauseas. It took about 2 weeks of following my new macros consistently before my body got used to it, now I'm fine. Could be a case of your body getting used to the new good composition.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take an Enzymedica Digest Gold capsule with each meal. You be cured!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's news to me...
    I have to ask: there's no chance you're pregnant? That's when lots of animal proteins really got to me.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Wow! That's news to me...
    I have to ask: there's no chance you're pregnant? That's when lots of animal proteins really got to me.

No chance whatsoever, thanks to endometriosis :-(
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    never heard of that before, but sounds like others have. Weird.
    hope you sort that out or find a way to avoid the problem.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes feel a little bit nauseated if my meals are too low-carb; it's the same kind of nausea that I get when it's been way too long since I've eaten and my blood sugar tanks. Could you try adding a piece of toast or something to that same breakfast meal and see if it helps?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I experience mild nausea after eating a protein-rich meal. For example, for breakfast often I make a 3-egg scramble with sausage, peppers and onions with shredded cheese sprinkled on it. This will cause a bit of nausea after I eat it (I don't eat fast). Similarly, with eating chicken and turkey I feel a bit nauseated after my meal. Now I can't tell you exactly how many grams of protein are in these intakes because admittedly I've been slacking on my calorie counts. I'm just curious about this and if anyone else experiences it. I've ruled out some other causes by eliminating them and switching up my meal routines, and it comes down to meals with more protein (happens with protein shakes, too, and that is 30g per serving). It's not enough to really bother me or make me sick, it's just curious to me.

Has this happened all your life? I've not heard of it before.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'll sometimes feel a little bit nauseated if my meals are too low-carb; it's the same kind of nausea that I get when it's been way too long since I've eaten and my blood sugar tanks. Could you try adding a piece of toast or something to that same breakfast meal and see if it helps?

I usually do eat toast with my egg scrambles; hmmm, that's funny, the feeling is definitely the same for me too, as when I haven't eaten recently and get that nauseating low-sugar feeling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »

Maybe count calories long enough to answer this question - what are the calorie counts of these meals? Maybe it's volume of food rather than protein content.
  • becgraceevemaggie
    becgraceevemaggie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im feeling like that now. Over the last six months ive tried repeatedly to get more protein to help lower carbs slightly. I get quite sick feeling. I suppose it could be the drop in carbs but its not that dramatic but the increase in protein is more so. Sits in my stomach like a lump of lead