Why Aren't Japanese People Fat?

Options

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    What I will say is that there is a strong social pressure to not be fat in Japan and it starts with mothers teaching their children to only eat until they are 80% full. If you are a woman and an American size 10 in Japan you will not find much in the way of clothing that fits you. And it is the same for men. All of my suits that I owned there were either purchased in Hong Kong or the U.S. or were custom made. That alone provides quite an incentive for many people to stop growing.

Whereas in the U.S. it's more of a... "If you're fat you're beautiful and if you don't think fat people are beautiful then you're a degenerate waste of a human being who promotes anorexia" kind of thing. If you can't find clothing that fits you, it's because the clothing makers are perpetuating an unattainable ideal and you should definitely write a blog complaining about how Marilyn Monroe would be a size 14 today and maybe file a civil lawsuit.

I mean, whatever. Society man.

I don't think the US, or any other Western society admires being fat as much as you just said. There may be a minority of people who are accepting, that's as far as it goes. Fat is hardly ever seen as beautiful.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Edit: my post was posted twice.
  • Joocey
    Joocey Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't think the US, or any other Western society admires being fat as much as you just said. There may be a minority of people who are accepting, that's as far as it goes. Fat is hardly ever seen as beautiful.

I'm probably using "fat" in sort of... less than scientific way and possibly mean way. Reword what I wrote above where "fat" = "more overweight than what the Japanese would consider fat" which, in case of the post I was responding to, appears to be anything over a U.S. size 10.

It may be a minority, but it's a vocal enough minority that advertising, and U.S. corporations, have taken notice. I mean... we have a National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance* which is sort of weird to me since most people can stop being fat if they don't want to be.

That seems like a distinctly-American thing.

*Separate from the issue of bullying or shaming, which shouldn't take place because it's just not nice.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Are levels of consumption not the "how much" rather than the "what?"

Wouldn't they be both: relative in terms of caloric load and relative in terms of proportions to one another?

It doesn't have to be a case of solely one or the other.

And with the way it's set up as a question in the title, wouldn't it also, implicitly, be Japan relative to wherever you're comparing it to?
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    1 word, 2 syllables : Kung Fu. That's why.

jk.

it's all because of ramen, it's SUPER low calorie (to the guy that said they don't have fat in their food). /end sarcasm
  • llangstraat
    llangstraat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome article! Thanks for sharing!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    so, are Sumo wrestlers a figment of our imagination? or are they automatons?

Yes. Don't you realise there is only ONE rigid definition of what a Japanese person can be? Shame on you for suggesting that Japanese people are anything other than thin and zen-like. :laugh:

This is actually part of the point. The article is refuting a lot of the cultural "observations" that have been made by casual observers who like to compare the U.S. to other cultures, and I will grant that this is yet another somewhat casual observation. It doesn't have to be just the comparison between the U.S. and Japan. Similar arguments have been made about the Mediterranean diet, for example. The Japanese eat a variety of foods, some "healthy" in the sense that they are nutrient dense and lower in calories, and much that would not fit that description. The point is simply that while the Japanese do consume fatty, sugary, and msg laden food, they eat a lot less overall than what you see in the U.S., and if you want to point to any key input in that mix, it is fewer calories.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    "Eating less is more important than what you eat."
  • peachfigs
    Options

Yes. Don't you realise there is only ONE rigid definition of what a Japanese person can be? Shame on you for suggesting that Japanese people are anything other than thin and zen-like. :laugh:

This is actually part of the point. The article is refuting a lot of the cultural "observations" that have been made by casual observers who like to compare the U.S. to other cultures, and I will grant that this is yet another somewhat casual observation. It doesn't have to be just the comparison between the U.S. and Japan. Similar arguments have been made about the Mediterranean diet, for example. The Japanese eat a variety of foods, some "healthy" in the sense that they are nutrient dense and lower in calories, and much that would not fit that description. The point is simply that while the Japanese do consume fatty, sugary, and msg laden food, they eat a lot less overall than what you see in the U.S., and if you want to point to any key input in that mix, it is fewer calories.

I agree!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

Hara hachi bu.:smile:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Well shoot eating with chopsticks alone is like an intense cardiac exercise. Try eating rice without breaking a sweat.

lmao
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Sumo wrestlers
  • ndowns22
    ndowns22 Posts: 20
    Options
    You earn your body.... NO one is "stuck" being fat or overweight. Abs are made in the kitchen, weight loss is 70% kitchen 30% exercise. You cannot compete with a bad diet. With will power and determination anyone can achieve their health and fitness goals!!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    There is no fat in there food

I have worked with many Japanese people that came here in their twenties, They all sit at work eating candy ALL DAY, and they are all thin. I would assume its all genetic. I used to think it was related to a certain diet when they were growing up, but they all say that grew up eating traditional Japanese foods AND crap.
  • thatsbroscience
    Options
    okinawan diet

"Their overall traditional diet would be considered a very-high-carbohydrate diet by modern standards, with carbohydrates, protein, and fat providing 85%, 9% and 6% of total calories respectively.["
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Tokyo I'd generally make a stop at Starbucks on the way back to the office after lunch, and I'd see young "office ladies" having some sort of baked good along with their frozen crappuccino whatever. At some point it dawned on me--that was their whole lunch. They weren't eating a full lunch somewhere, and then having their sugary crap, they just went straight to the sugar. So yeah, it's not a nutritious well-balanced meal, but it's portion control in some odd sense of the word.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've been living in Japan for a year now and everything in this article is true. They have amazing junk food but even their junk food has less sugar than ours. Another thing to add is that they eat sitting down. It is frowned upon to be seen walking around eating and even drinking.
  • bragaswag
    bragaswag Posts: 28
    Options
    It can be the way eat and exercise and stuff, but I strongly believe it's their genetics. DNA is very sensitive and diet has a huge impact on our internal structure. The food that has been processed so much and GMO and fast food, I believe, messed up our genetics over the past decades. America wasn't always known as being fat.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Best line in the article

"You don’t go looking for scapegoats, you put less food into your pie-hole."

That pretty much sums it up.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sumo wrestlers are fat!!