Discouraged about how much I have to lose...

Options
124»

Replies

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Make small goals. First aim to lose 10% of your bodyweight and reward yourself when you get there. Next, aim to lose 25% of your body weight. The first 15-20% or so will come off easily but that's good for your morale because you've shown yourself that you can do it. And don't worry about people kicking you when you're down. If you want solid, scientific, no-nonsense support and advice, this is the place to get it.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already given great advice but I'll add mine. Just NEVER GIVE UP! I have (everyone has) good days and bad days. Some days you will get it smack dab on point other days you will not eat so well and/or not exercise but just keep going. Every small thing you do will add up to help you reach your goal in the bigger picture. Like someone else posted above - the 2 years is going to pass regardless so you may as well start today. If you don't start today, chances are that you will be worse off by then. Stay connected on MFP. I learn so much here and I log in everyday to stay motivated and educated! It really helps. One other thing I thought of once: if I only gain 1 lb a month, by the end of the year, I have gained 12lbs! So, keeping my diet in check an exercising is a MUST. It's non-negotiable. Just try to stay positive and KEEP GOING! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was/am also ashamed of how far I had let myself go, needing to lose more than half my body weight, and fought the same depression cycle you described. I was fortunate in that my Mom purchased one month of nutri-system for me to try. I knew that this program worked because it worked for my mom and that was a motivator for me. I also knew that I couldn't afford to continue on nutri-system long-term. So I decided that I would use it for that first month to help my brain recognize that I could satisfy my hunger with smaller portions and overcome that particular battle.
    Years ago when I tried quitting smoking and my Mt. Dew addiction cold-turkey on the same day, it was an ugly, unsuccessful effort (I have since done both, just not at the same time), so I know that too much change at once for me wasn't going to work. I told myself that for the first 90 days, I was not going to do anything but try to stay in my calorie goal. I re-started MFP to track my calories. I immersed myself into finding recipes/foods that I liked that were healthier and started incorporating them into my plan, slowly replacing the nutri-system foods that I used to get started. Funny, I'm not at 90 days yet but find myself craving activity/exercise and that hasn't happened since I was a teenager.
    I try to focus on my daily victories of meeting my calorie goal and how much better I feel overall because I once again feel that I am in control of me. I do weigh myself weekly and really love those victories, but force myself to not make it my only goal. I have had days where I didn't succeed and I have to remind myself that I have more wins than losses in that respect and re-focus for tomorrow. I am only 75 days into a journey that is going to take a whole lot longer, but it is the farthest I have ever come in taking back my life and I know it is just the beginning. I am 20 years older than you and I beg of you to please don't waste another 20 years of 'wishing' you had started. Do it now. As hard as it is, don't worry about anyone else or what they think or don't think. It's ok for you to put yourself first and right now it's imperative that you do. It won't be easy, but you can do this.