Walking and rest days

If I'm only walking for weight loss right now do I need a rest day or is this something I can do everyday?

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    I think it depends on how intense is your walking.

I don't think you need a rest day from "normal" walking. But I don't think you need to walk everyday either, if you don't feel like it.

Personally, my only exercise is walking (I live in a place with a lot of hills, so I actually sweat even if it's -3 outside) and I try to do 10k steps everyday. But only because in doing so I can eat more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Every day
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Depends how intense. I walk at an incline now (and do some stationary bike) and after 5-6 days my legs are just too sore and I need a break. But if it's just walks in a neighborhood, you definitely don't need a rest day.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    No worries, every day!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I do it daily. However, if I need a rest, I take a rest. There's no schedule. I think my last rest day was 3 weeks ago. Do as much as you can as often as you can. Listen to your body. It'll tell you when you need to rest. The "I don't want to" feeling will become "I can't" and that's the day you rest. Schedules are good, but sometimes rest days, no matter the kind of exercise, are on their own schedule.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    You can walk every day. :)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Humans have evolved to walk. Lots and lots.

You can do it every day.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    but you may want to try something else for variety one day a week. Biking? Swimming? a class? dance? yoga?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I have a goal of 100k steps a week but also a minimum of 10k steps a day. So I only do a few 20k+ days a week but I always walk at least a few miles. I feel antsy if I don't get a little fresh air & some movement.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    I walk about 120k steps a week, often at a high incline, and today I'm taking my first rest day in months, and only because I'm sick.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    You need to give your muscles a rest in between strength training sessions, but you should walk everyday!
  • Everyday
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    you can do it everyday. it is real good for you and not hard on the joints.
    If you want to push the pace a bit and turn it into a walk/jog then you will want to give yourself a rest day where needed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Every day. You can vary the distance/step you walk& speed based on your ability. Consider a pedometer or steps tracker it's a lot of fun to see the progress & can help motivate you. Many of is do walk neatly as far as we "think" we do, efoecidlly when starting out.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    If you feel like you might need a rest day, you might need a rest day. If not, then not.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Daily please.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I aim for at least 20,000 steps 7 days a week. I don't have rest days, it's become an everyday habit now.
  • Christine_72
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I aim for at least 20,000 steps 7 days a week. I don't have rest days, it's become an everyday habit now.

This is so inspiring. I love it. I don't have a step counter because I don't like electronic devices. I'd like to progress to this^^^ level though, maybe by the end of a year and a half, two years. I like to take it very slowly.

I'm only able to start walking again after recovering from a broken foot recently. Being unable to walk for months finally got me to the place where I value walking above any other physical activity. I only realized what a blessing it really is when I wasn't able to do it at all!

:flowerforyou:

Before i got my fitbit I was averaging between 2-3,000 steps a day at the most, sometimes way less, that was just normal everyday living. Then I got the fitbit and started joining challenges every week and refused to be last all the time lol So I aimed for 10,000, then 15 etc etc and now I know if i make the effort i can get to over 20,000. Like I said, It's become and ingrained habit now and a part of everyday life.

@newmeadow There's no rush, every extra step you take counts xx
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 543 Member
    miaelissa wrote: »
    If I'm only walking for weight loss right now do I need a rest day or is this something I can do everyday?

I walk every day and was wondering the same. Thanks for starting the thread, and thanks for all the responses!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    We were designed to walk. We would be better off walking every single day & only sitting now & again! LOL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,519 Member

Every day.

In fact, just walking IS my rest day on some days. :)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Is that ~2860 a day (20,000 in a week) or is that 140,000 steps a week (20,000 per day)?

Either way is great, but if you're doing 140,000 steps a week, I may have to cry. (Joke. I cannot cry, even if I want to.)
  • Christine_72
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Is that ~2860 a day (20,000 in a week) or is that 140,000 steps a week (20,000 per day)?

Either way is great, but if you're doing 140,000 steps a week, I may have to cry. (Joke. I cannot cry, even if I want to.)

Yep 140,000 steps a week. Going by yesterday and according to fitbit, 21,120 (16kms) steps gives me 2,678 calories/TDEE
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I only take a "rest day" if my lupus is in active flare and my heart is involved. Otherwise, I'm out there walking every day. In the last year I've managed to increase my daily step count from about 2500 (major pericarditis at the time) to around 12.7K / day average this month. But I still have random days of around 2500-5000 steps when my heart is just too tired.
  • Mace49
    Mace49 Posts: 1 Member
    Yep 140,000 steps a week. Going by yesterday and according to fitbit, 21,120 (16kms) steps gives me 2,678 calories/TDEE
    That's an incredible effort Christine. It took me months to reach 10,000 steps/day (mid-September) and I've been pushing myself hard to average 15,000 over the past 2 weeks. I went all out yesterday to break 20,000 and earn the 'High Tops' badge, but my legs are aching today and it was definitely a case of 'too much, too soon'. Maybe next year. o:)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    You don't need to take rest days from walking, but you certainly can if you'd like.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member

I do intense walks (30 to 90 minutes at an average pace of 4 to 4.5 mph), and I walk 7 days a week. If I feel like I need recovery time, I do a recovery walk, which is a long walk at a much slower pace (3 to 3.5 mph). I'm an old dude so your intenseness may vary from mine... :)
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    If you are not used to regular exercise and experience joint pain after walking, you should take a rest day. It really depends on how active you were before you started.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

Not unless you think you need a rest day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Why not? @Kalikel