A couple other free courses (July start)

Options
13»

Replies

• sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    So glad there's a shout-out to this! I'm currently enrolled in the Nutrition for Health Promotion & Disease Prevention class. A lot of it is stuff you'd probably know if you frequently research health and nutrition, but I've learned a few interesting things from it as well. I'm also taking The Fiction of Relationship and The Social Context of Mental Health and Illness, though of course those courses are not related to MFP so closely.

Interesting choices - I think I might wishlist those for next time around, just in case ;)
    They are both wonderful! I particularly like The Fiction of Relationship, but I'm also an English literature major so that heavily contributes. There is quite a lot of reading involved, but in my opinion it is really worth it.

I'm actually downloading both of those courses and made sure I had all of the books for the literature course. :smile:
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bumpity bump.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I signed up for one or two courses. What happens if I can't keep up? Is there an auditing option?
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I signed up for one or two courses. What happens if I can't keep up? Is there an auditing option?

Yeah, I mean since you're not paying for anything, you're basically auditing it anyway. But if you complete the assignments/quizzes, you'll get the Statement of Completion. Otherwise, just watch the lectures when you can (audit for realz). Be careful though because depending on the school and the professor, the materials might be taken away a few weeks after class ends. So if you want the lectures, I suggest downloading them. You won't get any of the "in-video" quizzes (which don't count in grading anyway), but I really don't miss those. I download a bunch of courses - to the point that I ran out of memory, so now I have them on dvds or memory sticks. I'm not one to pass up free knowledge from reputable schools. Enjoy!
  • happymamabear
    Options
    Bump! Thanks:)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Yeah, I mean since you're not paying for anything, you're basically auditing it anyway. But if you complete the assignments/quizzes, you'll get the Statement of Completion. Otherwise, just watch the lectures when you can (audit for realz). Be careful though because depending on the school and the professor, the materials might be taken away a few weeks after class ends. So if you want the lectures, I suggest downloading them. You won't get any of the "in-video" quizzes (which don't count in grading anyway), but I really don't miss those. I download a bunch of courses - to the point that I ran out of memory, so now I have them on dvds or memory sticks. I'm not one to pass up free knowledge from reputable schools. Enjoy!

Thank you. I'm not doing it for the Statement, but I didn't want to seem to wimp out on it. Maybe I'll see how it goes after a lecture or two.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    The first two modules are up and ready for the Nutrition and Physical Activity course. Gogogo.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    They are both wonderful! I particularly like The Fiction of Relationship, but I'm also an English literature major so that heavily contributes. There is quite a lot of reading involved, but in my opinion it is really worth it.

I'm actually downloading both of those courses and made sure I had all of the books for the literature course. :smile:
    Awesome! I hope you enjoy ^^
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If anyone finds any other nutrition/physical fitness courses online please let us all know. I am currently taking two coursera courses, they have both been mentioned here and i'm hooked. I would love a heads up on anymore you guys can find. Thanks in advance :)
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Great to find MOOC fans on here! I'm currently enrolled in Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health. It's the first MOOC I've ever taken but I already have a big list of them I want to do.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great refreshing course for me!!
  • Anasye
    Anasye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I will check this out I've never tried MOOC before and free is good.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hate that I missed this opportunity, maybe I will catch the next ones?