Meatless Thanksgiving

Options
If you don't plan to feature meat on your Thanksgiving table, mind sharing what you will be serving? Vegetarian/pescatarian here interested in your menu. Thanks.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will be buying a Field Roast (the Forager one, with pineapple mustard glaze and huckleberry stuffing). I will also prepare garlic mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, fresh cranberry relish, a pie of some sort (pumpkin or raspberry, probably), and some sort of green vegetable (greens or roasted brussels sprouts). My husband needs rolls or it isn't Thanksgiving, so I'll make some of those too.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, roasted peppers, squares of sweet potato, pears, spinach, and cranberries - with a side beet salad.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I will be buying a Field Roast (the Forager one, with pineapple mustard glaze and huckleberry stuffing). I will also prepare garlic mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, fresh cranberry relish, a pie of some sort (pumpkin or raspberry, probably), and some sort of green vegetable (greens or roasted brussels sprouts). My husband needs rolls or it isn't Thanksgiving, so I'll make some of those too.

Just googled Field Roast. Thanks!

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Field roast with dressing, mushroom gravy, collard greens, cornbread, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes. Just our usual. We also do a turkey with gravy and stuffing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Just googled Field Roast. Thanks!

I really like them. They're a bit pricey, but they're also satisfying -- I never need a huge piece.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like vegetarian pseudo-meat, so I'd go a different way. While I'm not responsible for the Thanksgiving this year, in the past I've tend to minimize the "one big ceremonial feature food" approach, and go for enhanced versions of some of the traditional side dishes.

I'm talking about things like sweet potatoes baked with fresh pineapple & walnuts (or pecans), roast root vegetables with chestnuts, maybe a whole cauliflower with an extra-special sauce and a sprinkle of fresh parsley or other herbs for pretty, some tasty baked-bean recipe, a nice greens & veggies salad with pepitas or toasted sunflower seeds, whole-grain rolls, potatoes with mushroom (and fresh sage?) gravy if you're a potato-lover, etc. (I sneak in bits of protein almost everywhere ;) .)
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    Field roast with dressing, mushroom gravy, collard greens, cornbread, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, mashed sweet potatoes. Just our usual. We also do a turkey with gravy and stuffing.

Sounds delicious. Thanks for reminding me of green bean casserole - I've made one by Claire Robinson that is so good!!

• vivmom2014
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I personally don't like vegetarian pseudo-meat, so I'd go a different way. While I'm not responsible for the Thanksgiving this year, in the past I've tend to minimize the "one big ceremonial feature food" approach, and go for enhanced versions of some of the traditional side dishes.

I'm talking about things like sweet potatoes baked with fresh pineapple & walnuts (or pecans), roast root vegetables with chestnuts, maybe a whole cauliflower with an extra-special sauce and a sprinkle of fresh parsley or other herbs for pretty, some tasty baked-bean recipe, a nice greens & veggies salad with pepitas or toasted sunflower seeds, whole-grain rolls, potatoes with mushroom (and fresh sage?) gravy if you're a potato-lover, etc. (I sneak in bits of protein almost everywhere ;) .)

I'm all for shaking up tradition... all of this sounds wonderful.

• vivmom2014
    Options

That looks impressive indeed!!
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, roasted peppers, squares of sweet potato, pears, spinach, and cranberries - with a side beet salad.

I need to try quinoa. Great suggestion. Yum.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you don't plan to feature meat on your Thanksgiving table, mind sharing what you will be serving? Vegetarian/pescatarian here interested in your menu. Thanks.

I'm Canadian and so we already had thanksgiving...this year I just bought some live lobsters, boiled them, and served with biscuits and a big green salad. No fuss, still kind of fancy and festive, suitable for a pescetarian.
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

I'm Canadian and so we already had thanksgiving...this year I just bought some live lobsters, boiled them, and served with biscuits and a big green salad. No fuss, still kind of fancy and festive, suitable for a pescetarian.

Last time I tried to prepare lobster tails was a debacle. I've been gun shy ever since. (Yeah, just the tails.) Your meal sounded superb.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Last time I tried to prepare lobster tails was a debacle. I've been gun shy ever since. (Yeah, just the tails.) Your meal sounded superb.

It's the easiest thing imaginable with live ones - literally just boil some water and throw one in a pot, put the lid on, and wait about fifteen minutes (depending on size). If you can boil an egg you can do lobster.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Tofurky is amazing

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not on my home computer, but I have a link saved from a website I found which had amazing recipes for a meatless thanksgiving - I was doing a Turducken but a friend who was coming who was vego and wanted something substantial to feed her. Have a google, there are some great sites. I'll try to remember to come back and post the one I found when I get home.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing muffin-tin quiches with butternut squash this year. Honestly, though, I just want mashed potatoes, homemade bread and cranberry sauce. I don't worry too much about this one meal being balanced -- I'm okay with just eating all the carbs.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts are a hot topic here... How do you feel about them? We made a roasted brussels sprouts, cranberry, and quinoa dish. Yum.

I've never been a big turkey fan, so I make myself pasta. My foundation will be some sort of squash-based ravioli. Gotta go with the theme, right?
  • vivmom2014
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm thinking about doing muffin-tin quiches with butternut squash this year. Honestly, though, I just want mashed potatoes, homemade bread and cranberry sauce. I don't worry too much about this one meal being balanced -- I'm okay with just eating all the carbs.

You will find no carb argument here.

• vivmom2014
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Brussels sprouts are a hot topic here... How do you feel about them? We made a roasted brussels sprouts, cranberry, and quinoa dish. Yum.

I've never been a big turkey fan, so I make myself pasta. My foundation will be some sort of squash-based ravioli. Gotta go with the theme, right?

Roasted Brussels sprouts = YES. Love them.