Husband is no help

Options
124»

Replies

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My husband is a picky eater. It's hard to give him healthier food because he loves comfort food. However, he loves working out too. What is stopping him from getting healthier is he just had surgery done so he is not yet ready to jump on the band wagon yet. What i have been doing is just cooking seperate meals. YES! His looks so much better...and I would soo love to just jump off the wagon and go crazy on what he is eating but I know I will be disappointed in myself and I know I really need to lose the weight. SOO ASK YOURSELF...how much do you want this?
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ive got an husband and 2teenage boys in my house, non of which are interested in MY diet. So I make it exactly that MY diet, MY choices, even MY plate (which is smaller than everyone else's). Ive made it all about ME. Its not very often women do things for themselves when they've got a family to look after. Well now its my turn and I love it. My son said to me last night "you can't eat that your on a diet" and my reply was "oh yes I can! Its in my allowance :) so just enjoy YOUR food and make it all about YOU :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    If it's super hard, go buy a pretty lock for his pantry door at the hardware store, install it, and give your hubby the only keys :grin:

I keep my fiance's Fritos out of sight and out of reach and only dip in to them a few times a month. But once we are living together, if there were a lot of problematic foods, I would have no problem with locking them up.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mrsjmsrvrs wrote: »
    SHOULD

After losing hundreds of ugly pounds by shedding several exes (one at a time) I realize the wisdom of people who say that you can't change others to be what you want.
    You can either do a work-around (your own pantry area, etc.), or you can get rid of him, because he isn't going to live his life the way you think he should.
    He may support you, but that comes from him, not from you.

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    If it's super hard, go buy a pretty lock for his pantry door at the hardware store, install it, and give your hubby the only keys :grin:

I keep my fiance's Fritos out of sight and out of reach and only dip in to them a few times a month. But once we are living together, if there were a lot of problematic foods, I would have no problem with locking them up.

I'm a realist, so I used to have someone else hide the rest of the chocolates each day for me and they didn't even live here :lol: I have no shame.

I had a friend who used to sleepwalk to the kitchen and make and eat multiple butter sandwiches each night, leaving knife after knife in the sink!! Now they even make college-sized fridges with locks, so we can really lock both pantries and refrigerators if need be :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I stay in a large home, half of which is devoted to his business, which is a geek gaming venue. 5 days a week there are tons of gamers taking over one half of our house. There is also a snack bar. Tons of chocolate bars, bags of chips, sweets and a takeaway menu. There is a fridge full of assorted soda cans. I pretty much live in a small snack store and I am allowed to grab anything I like for free.

How I cope: I allow myself to have it if I need it and find I very seldom do. Living right on top of all that junk has actually helped my self control. I feel strong and comfortable knowing the choice is mine and I choose not to have it or to eat it in moderation.

I have my own little fridge where I store food, mostly because I don't want my boyfriend or his staff eating my yogurts and fruit by accident (they have their own and for book-keeping reasons we keep store food separate). When I cook, I might make steak, and add a potato and veg to his dish and less steak, more veg and no potato to my dish.

I weigh everything and know exactly what I consume.

It can be done. Trust yourself and be resolved.

This. So much this.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I would work on ways for him to be supportive of you WITHOUT expecting him to join in. If you push it on him he's just going to get upset and you will struggle to find any kind of support from him. If you turn it around and only focus on yourself and let him do his own thing, then you will be a lot happier. Maybe he'll lose a little just by watching you (but if he doesn't it's ok too).
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    has anyone read Thomas Bradbury & Benjamin Kerney's book - Love Me Slender. There is a youtube interview with the authors that talks about the book and the reasons why they wrote it.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSnc32CBPNM
  • foxchick27
    foxchick27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Totally in the same boat! If my husband won't get on board to eat better with me ... than all I ask is from him to encourage me to keep doin better. But he hasn't. I have started some lite cardio walking..jogging..exercise videos! It helps me just by thinking that "well I'm gonna look great this time by next year." And I can do it without him. I am challenging myself to work extra hard every day and burn thru calories. I even am adding an extra 45 mins a day to burn off calories on top of my 45 min morning workout. If he doesn't notice my change than whatever. He is an alcoholic anyways and I at this point no longer care if he sees how hard I have been working. I'll be looking fabulous in my new swim suit this upcoming summer