increasing carbs when gluten free

Options
I need some ideas in how I can increase my Carbs while being gluten free. I have a wheat intolerance/allergy where I come out in a rash and end up with migranes. Until I started lifting heavy weights it wasn't an issue now I struggle to get more than around 100g of Carbs daily without eating lots of dried fruit and nuts. My protein is already high at 150gmin and usually I get more than that. Rice and corn based foods also out as give really bad reflux. I eat mainly apples and green veg but am starting to find my lifting is struggling.
Peanuts also bring me out in a rash if I eat to often.
Gluten free breads etc also give me reflux, think it's the rice flour in them.
Any ideas or advice would be great

Replies

• youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    Oatmeal. Quinoa. Meds for your reflux.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes
    I use almond flour to make these muffins - http://www.chatelaine.com/health/healthy-recipes-health/flourless-cranberry-muffins/
    Quinoa
    Millet
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Beans, potatoes, teff could also be good.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Been to see both dr and naturopath and there suggestion is to "just avoid those things that make you feel unwell". Yes do take meds for reflux but some days those don't help much.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I second the oatmeal and quinoa. Maybe try more potatoes and starchy vegetables, like parsnip, turnip, rutabaga? Can you tolerate barley?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, fruits, quinoa, root vegetables.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, how do you know you should not eat gluten?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would go for fruits or starchy vegetables if I wanted more carbs. I'm GF too but I prefer low carb.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought was potatoes and beans. I had less problem with reflux if I kept my carb portions fairly small at a sitting and always eating it with vegetables and a little protein. Try that. It might extend the number of starchy vegetables you can eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Like stir fries.
  • christch
    Options
    @Luvee_Dove5 I've had many years of sinus like headaches/migranes and after 3month course of antibiotics that made no difference, seeing ENT, and Neurologist both MRI and ct scan to rule out anything. It was the elimination diet I was put on that showed wheat was the likely cause of it all. After taking wheat out of my diet I have had no sinus headaches. If I eat wheat within an hr I end up with a rash, and within 2hrs I develop a migraine. I've also got a pretty good allergy to grasses which my gp said is linked to wheat. So it's just not worth eating it.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you're on mfp to lose weight, as far as the reflux, losing weight might help with that too. As you lose, you might feel a little better with your reflux . Doctors usually advise to lose some weight to help alleviate symptoms if you're overweight.

Have you totally cleaned up the gluten in your diet? You said you get plenty of protein. Are your sources free of traces of gluten, wheat? Why aren't you eating dried fruits and nuts? Are you also allergic to tree nuts? You can be allergic to peanuts but still be able to eat tree nuts. A trail mix with healthy fats , protein and carbs before workouts might help your lifts if you don't have these allergies. Have you gotten tested to know for sure what your allergies are? You might or might not have a reaction to rice or corn or other ingredients in gf breads or...see where I'm going with this? Get an allergy test done and if your tests prove you are allergic to these things, you can get help from a nutritionist/dietician.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't do well with gluten also so I avoid it. Lots of things give me acid reflex but rice has never been one of them. Are you sure it is rice and not maybe some additive in foods made out of rice? Maybe if you cook plain rice you won't have that problem? I guess it is different for everyone, bananas give me reflex which isn't very common.

Other carbs I eat are: yams, potatoes, gf oatmeal (not sure if this one is good for people with severe gluten problems), buckwheat, quinoa,
  • christch
    Options
    Yes have had several allergy tests over years, highly allergic to grasses, cow dander, the cat, dust, mites, and some others. At 68 kg/150lb 5'10 I'm not over weight and as long as don't drink to much coffee,or eat rice, corn reflux seems to be easily dealt with. I can get away with ¼ cup rice every couple of months but no rice or corn crackers or substitutes for bread.
    Protein sources dairy - milk, yog, cheese, lots of chicken breast, eggs and I do use protein shake. I do eat dried fruits and nuts with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, it's an actual gluten free product. I've been eating them to'fill up' the carb gap but I wanted to know if there were other things I could eat instead.
    I have been tested for Celiac's thru blood tests but they were negative.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pure apple or orange juice, bananas grilled with a squeeze of honey over the top.

Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, turnip, swede, squashes.

Porridge oats with honey

• randomsue
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Yes have had several allergy tests over years, highly allergic to grasses, cow dander, the cat, dust, mites, and some others. At 68 kg/150lb 5'10 I'm not over weight and as long as don't drink to much coffee,or eat rice, corn reflux seems to be easily dealt with. I can get away with ¼ cup rice every couple of months but no rice or corn crackers or substitutes for bread.
    Protein sources dairy - milk, yog, cheese, lots of chicken breast, eggs and I do use protein shake. I do eat dried fruits and nuts with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, it's an actual gluten free product. I've been eating them to'fill up' the carb gap but I wanted to know if there were other things I could eat instead.
    I have been tested for Celiac's thru blood tests but they were negative.

Stop eating the rice altogether then. You're just playing a game of Russian Roulette with your health. The allergy testing don't always include tests for food. Sometimes you have to ask for it. You can't assume it's being tested.Were you tested for dairy? You weren't taking your allergy medicine for your allergy tests but had you already eliminated the foods you suspected were giving you reactions? You saying the doctor saying wheat would be an allergen because you reacted to grass on your panel suggested to me you hadn't been tested for it. Wheat, barley, rye are all in the grass family. I wasn't there so I wouldn't know.

There's plenty of things you can eat. Like others posted, quinoa is one. Replace that rice with quinoa. If you know that you will eventually get sick with it, why eat it? Just stop putting yourself through that. If you want some noodles, I would check whole Food Market. It's going to be a little pricey but there you go. Make zucchini noodles insted. There's a trade off. The same with the bread. Gluten free, corn and rice free bread. It might be pricey if you can find it or you might have to bake a loaf yourself using bean flours. Variety is needed to get the nutrients that would not be available in just what you're eating.

Theres plenty of vegetables that provides carbs. Root vegetables like sweet potatoes, yucca, rutabagas, jicama. Eat legumes, peas, squash,edamame, carrots. You don't have to just eat apples and green vegetables. A jicama salad paired with wilted spinach. The vitamin c from the jicama will help you absorb the iron in spinach better.

• christch
    Options
    I am at the stage where both the Dr and Naturopath have said I might not get a definitive answer to why wheat makes me feel headachy and brings me out in hives, or why rice gives me reflux. I don't eat it, end of story and if I choose to then I have the headache and feel like rubbish for next few days.

Thank you for all the suggestions for other things I can eat. You have all given me something to work with.
  • randomsue
    Options
    I am at the stage where both the Dr and Naturopath have said I might not get a definitive answer to why wheat makes me feel headachy and brings me out in hives, or why rice gives me reflux. I don't eat it, end of story and if I choose to then I have the headache and feel like rubbish for next few days.

Thank you for all the suggestions for other things I can eat. You have all given me something to work with.

This definitely sucks. I feel for you. I went for decades being told my symptoms was from my 'sensitive ' stomach or 'nerves' . I found a recipe for cloud bread. It's not really a bread per se but it's a great vehicle for sandwiches especially when I don't want to spend the money on gf breads. You can add add nutrition by using hummus. It's another source of carbs and tasty.

Good luck
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    randomsue wrote: »

This definitely sucks. I feel for you. I went for decades being told my symptoms was from my 'sensitive ' stomach or 'nerves' . I found a recipe for cloud bread. It's not really a bread per se but it's a great vehicle for sandwiches especially when I don't want to spend the money on gf breads. You can add add nutrition by using hummus. It's another source of carbs and tasty.

Good luck

Cloud bread....can you freeze them?
  • christch
    Options
    Thanks just some days feels like you're hitting your head against a wall. Yes love hummus, make my own, only problem is that I could eat a cup at a time on its own!