Women 5'6-5'8 165-185 lbs., What Size are you?

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wow I totally don't get these sizes. I'm 5"7" and when I was at 130 many years ago I was 12 on top to get the shoulder width and 10 on bottom. Having gone up to 301 over the next 25 years and now back to 185 I'm again M on top--but clearly sizes are different now-- but still 16 on pants. I can't conceive how someone this weight or more can be size 10 or 12!! Where is all the fat hiding??
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    5'8" about 175 and I wear a 14 or sometimes a 12 if I search hard enough and find just the right brand. Even at my goal weight I know I'll still be ginormous. Ah well.
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Wow I totally don't get these sizes. I'm 5"7" and when I was at 130 many years ago I was 12 on top to get the shoulder width and 10 on bottom. Having gone up to 301 over the next 25 years and now back to 185 I'm again M on top--but clearly sizes are different now-- but still 16 on pants. I can't conceive how someone this weight or more can be size 10 or 12!! Where is all the fat hiding??

Lol I'm 214 and wear mostly size 14. At 130 I'd be all bones. In this picture (I'm the middle girl years and years ago) I have was 165 and wore a 5/7. No one ever believes I was 165
  • Sasha1776
    Sasha1776 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'8" and weigh 162. I'm a size 12/14. hilariously, I carry almost all excess weight on my mid section. I'm like a marshmallow with toothpick arms and legs. And I have a difficult time buying clothes. My legs are very long and most pants are too short. Also, although a size 12 pant fits my waist, they are billowy around my thighs. I need to lose weight just to better fit into off the rack clothing, lol.
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My height is 5' 5.5" I'm at 150 now and all my 8's are lose fitting except for one. I guess I need a 6? I have a 6 that is fitting but an 8 that is too small. I was 168 a few months ago... and about an 8/10. My goal is to fit a specific pair of pants... but they are from Japan and there are no sizes there really, well this is from the brand's "plus" line. I live in Korea now, haven't tried to buy jeans yet but own shorts that are a Korean size 95... I think I now need a 90...
  • AumillerA
    AumillerA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and before I started my weight loss journey, I weighed about 170. I was wearing clothes sized 12/14 (but then again I have a big ol' booty). I am down to about 138 now and wear size 8 in most jeans, depending on the brand, size 4-6 tops, size 4 dress. Sizing is all weird nowadays though, I can wear an 8 in gap jeans and a 4/6 in old navy jeans.
  • Cats2626
    Cats2626 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Hm. That's interesting. Nowadays my mother is 5'10" and 249 pounds, and she wears a size 16 in pants (but XL in tops). And it's not even tight. Her jeans fall down even. She's in between a 14-16. It sounds like you're just very hippy, as a M on top and 16 on bottom is very different, which isn't a bad thing. I myself carry most of my weight in my middle (which is probably how I can fit an 8, as my hips are actually classified as a size 4/6 according to most size charts. It's mainly high waisted bottoms that I need a 10 in because of my stomach).
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 167. I am a 12 for pants (sometimes a 14 in dress pants especially since I do not want those tight on my butt!) and a medium or large for shirts.

At my thinnest (~158) in high school and college, I was still an 8 or 10 in pants, because I tend to carry all my weight in my hips/thighs.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I agree with others, sizing is just so random these days. I can wear a size 4 (US) from Old Navy but any other shop I am a 10, maybe an 8. Right now, I am 5'6.5 and around 145lbs on average. My goal weight is 128lbs and even than I could still lose more weight. I carry all my weight around my stomach and based on my measurements, my McCalls pattern I am a size 14. At 165lbs to 185lbs I was a 12-14 at Old Navy and probably a size up anywhere else, so 14-16.
    Also, I can wear, snug, a girls XL shirt and loose a boys XL shirt. Absolute silliness on cloth sizing. I mean, I can wear a size bigger than my 12 year old son. o.O And I am not a thin woman, at all! I wear my clothes a bit on the tighter side, so when I loose more weight they last longer.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Height 5'6"
    Weight 159
    Pants 9/10
    Pull over shirts medium
    Button up shirts large (boobs)
    Bra size 34DD

I still carry a lot of weight in my midsection, so I have a hard time finding pants.
  • sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 6.5", and at my largest I was 164 pounds and a size 10 or 12 depending on the brand (I only had a couple 12s....but that was my rock bottom, having to purchase that size at all!!). I am currently 141-ish, and am wearing a size 4 or 6 depending on the brand. Like others have said, vanity sizing is a real thing!
  • chelseaerem
    chelseaerem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our bodies sound very similar. I'm also 5'7 and I weight 178 lbs. I wear a size 10 in bottoms and a medium in tops. I'm a 34DD. I can fit into a pair of size 8 pants, but I can't get them past my butt. If you're someone with a smaller butt, that's probably why you can fit into a size 8 while women who are the same size as you can only wear a size 10 and up.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am 5"6", 165lbs, and fluctuate between US sizes 8 and 10, depending on the brand.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am 5'8" currently 173 lb and wear size 10, generally. In some brands I need size 12 because I have very wide hips. However, that's tricky because the majority of size 12 pants and jeans are way too large for me. I definitely have to try everything on.

My lowest weight was 166 and I still could not get into a size 8 ever. I do have a couple of size 8 dresses that fit because they're more forgiving in the hip and bum areas, but that's only possible for me if they have a stretchy or knit top because I am also busty (DD cup). Just different body types and variations, I'm sure. A friend of mine is 5'10" 190 lb and wears size 10. She doesn't have wide hips.
  • patientome
    patientome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I once saw a sign that said, "Just because you can zip it doesn't mean it fits!" My rule of thumb is to look in the mirror and be sure the fit is pleasing and speaks well of the person you want to be - no matter what size is on the tag.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    patientome wrote: »
    I once saw a sign that said, "Just because you can zip it doesn't mean it fits!" My rule of thumb is to look in the mirror and be sure the fit is pleasing and speaks well of the person you want to be - no matter what size is on the tag.

So true. Ha! I just said this last night about a pair of vintage jeans I paid a dollar for...they do zip, but they aren't working for me whatsoever, and are going into the donation pile immediately.
  • CTRLplusZ
    CTRLplusZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    5'5.5" 165.

If I wear my clothes that I've had since I've gained I could think I'm an 8 but purchasing clothes from the store have to be 10/12. I.e. I stretched out my clothes with my growing bottom.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    5'7" 160-163lb currently and a size 8/10. At my smallest adult weight (last time I lost) I was 140-145 and a size 6/8. My goal this time around is to get and stay in the 150s with a body fat percentage below 25%.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    5'7". At that weight I was a UK 12.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Im 5'8.5" and weigh 159lbs. Im in between size 11-13 right now. When i was 190lbs I was wearing size 17-18 pants. I think I might have less muscle than yall lol. Ideally, I want to get back down to a size 7!!