new to low carb.... headaches?

Options
So I tried to start low carb monday (11-9-15) but failed horribly at the end of the day. Yesterday I was determined and did much better. But at the end of the day I got a migraine and its now 14hrs later and I still jave it- after taking ibuprofen last night and today. So I looked it up and it says thats normal. And that drinking salt water could help. I do not want to drink salt water. So any other suggestions? ??? I drank 17 glasses of water yesterday so I know im not dehydrated, still ate my 1200 calories (barely) and got my workout in but this low carb this is much harder than I thought it would be.... please help!!!!

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The salt can help, but I wouldn't have salt water! Try broth.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How many carbs , how much sodium and how much fat are eating?

Also,while lchf can be an effective strategy for weight loss, its not a requirement. You just need a deficit. In the short term, you can slowly lower carbs if you want to use this method as a weight loss strategy.
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Broth sounds better. And im aiming for 50-60 carbs a day. Yesterday was 56gr fat. And yesterdays sodium was at 2000. Im not good at low sodium. Lol and I know low carb is not required. But after 2yrs I lost 85 pounds. Im down to my last 20 and they have not gone anywhere for 5 months. So im trying something new.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with reducing carbs, but if I were going to go low carb, I'd taper down rather than go cold turkey.

Checkout the Low Carb Group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • joel4003
    joel4003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are going low carb I'd increase your cal intake but only with Proteins, as for the head aches go they will pass with time just keep with it and drink water. Stay positive
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Not related to carbs at all, but since you said you were having problems losing your last 20, you might want to give this a read as well:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • balvis3919
    Options
    I did lower my carbs in moderation. I was doing 150 then went to 100 then 80. Its just started now that they r in the 50-60 range. And as for more calories im lucky to get to 1200 now. Lol im trying really hard to get there. Its alot of food! Thank u for the help. The broth helped a bit this morning. Not gone but I can function at least.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Probably should add more fats and sodium. It could be an electolyte imbalance. But also, 1200 calories while exercising and being lean may not be enough calories.
  • balvis3919
    Options
    Ok. Well I will try to add a bit more. Its just hard going from low cal, low fat to high fat more calories. Its weird. Lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned, up your salt and fat. I think most low carbers aim for 3,000-3,500mg sodium daily, if not more. Not enough salt will definitely equal headaches.

I've got my macros set at 20/60/20 Carbs/fat/protein. I also struggle getting in enough sodium..

Join the group kshama linked, this question comes up regularly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the info on salt. Whe you go low carb your salt needs double because your electrolyte levels are low. Drinking so much water can actually make it worse because you are diluting your electrolytes even more. Fixing low salt immediately will prevent low levels of magnesium, and potassium (and potentially calcium) as those can be leeched from your body to bring up electrolytes and make up for low sodium. If you start getting muscle cramps, you know your sodium is still too low.

Add salt to all food. One or two cups of broth per day will help. I like to add a bit of salt to coffee, and I add a 1/2 or 1 tsp of salt to a cup of water in the morning or I don't seem to get enough. It's worth it to avoid the headaches, lethargy and achyness. I feel almost sick when it gets too low.

Good luck! :)
  • balvis3919
    Options
    Ok. Well broth I can do. Lol might be the only way to get all the salt in. Didnt realize how much salt and fat were needed when I started this. Lol think im going shopping.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Ditto the info on salt. Whe you go low carb your salt needs double because your electrolyte levels are low. Drinking so much water can actually make it worse because you are diluting your electrolytes even more. Fixing low salt immediately will prevent low levels of magnesium, and potassium (and potentially calcium) as those can be leeched from your body to bring up electrolytes and make up for low sodium. If you start getting muscle cramps, you know your sodium is still too low.

Add salt to all food. One or two cups of broth per day will help. I like to add a bit of salt to coffee, and I add a 1/2 or 1 tsp of salt to a cup of water in the morning or I don't seem to get enough. It's worth it to avoid the headaches, lethargy and achyness. I feel almost sick when it gets too low.

My alternative suggestion.... bacon... ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

My alternative suggestion.... bacon... ;)

YES! :+1: So much nicer than drinking a cup of broth
  • balvis3919
    Options
    Ooooh BACON! I have not had bacon in a while because of the calories. Now I have tons! Lol
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes! Much better advice. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    balvis3919 wrote: »
    Ooooh BACON! I have not had bacon in a while because of the calories. Now I have tons! Lol

Depending on the brand you can have 3 pieces for like 120 calories or less. I call that a low carb snack.
  • balvis3919
    Options
    Lol I just went and got bacon. And broth. And zucchini, lettuce and ground turkey. Im a little more ready now!!! I was not prepared when I decided to do this. But I am now.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    When you guys talk about broth, is it like beef/chicken stock you add to soups? I don't think I've ever seen actual "broth"
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    When you guys talk about broth, is it like beef/chicken stock you add to soups? I don't think I've ever seen actual "broth"

I use beef/ or chicken bullion cube with water as my broth