Can we talk birth control ladies ?

Options
12346»

Replies

• koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    some say : doesn't matter even if you eat in moderation you will GAIN WEIGHT WHILE ON BIRTH CONTROL PILLS

I'm on birth control. Have been for years. I've lost weight.

There's nothing absolute about messing with hormone levels. If you feel like birth control is affecting your weight loss, talk to your doctor or whoever prescribed it. There are a lot of different options, and your body will react a little differently to each of them.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd Mirena IUD and it is the BEST THING EVER!!! No emotional ups & downs like with the pill, no need to remember to take a pill, NO periods with all the associated cramping and such. My libido is great, and I'm losing weight. I've had zero problems with it, have lots of friends with it who love it too. I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm on an extended cycle pill for cramps and I've noticed my appetite increases, especially in the hour or two after I take it. That's why I moved it to the night. I've lost 16.6 pounds since Jan

It's an appetite thing. If you can control your eating even with the increased appetite, you won't gain. The only form of birth control scientifically proven to actually cause weight gain is the shot.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Alesse 28 had no impact on my weight whatsoever. The only side effects I experienced were headaches, cramps, nausea and bloating which all went away after the first month. The nausea was actually bad enough that first month to make me think that i might have been already pregnant at the time i started the pills.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Words cannot express how delighted I am that birth control is no longer an issue as my fiance has had a vasectomy.

Holla!

I dont know why vasectomy is not touted as a reliable form of birth control when you're in a stable relationship.

My husband, at 24, had to go to FOUR different doctors (two in Aus, two in the UK) to refer him on for the snip, as they thought he was too young and would change his mind!...WHAT.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm an old lady (47) and no longer on birth control because I have my tubes tied, but back in my 20s when I was on them I didn't have any issues with keeping the weight off. I just simply didn't eat much anyway. My life was more fast paced back then. It's all about keeping your calories in check no matter what medications you are on. If you find that it messes with your weight then maybe you could check with your doctor about using something else. :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Urg that hormonal birth control was a nightmare for me.

First pill caused by blood pressure to collapse. Fainted in the middle of a match during a fencing competition right when my opponent had scored a point. Poor thing nearly had a heart attack and fencing teacher bared me from access to the training until I could prove I was healthy. Needless to say I quit that one real quick.

Second pill caused me to have mood swings like crazy. Happy one moment. Depressed the next. eating chocolate to cope. Thankfully I was working out A LOT so no weight gain. Quit it real quick as well.

Last one I tried made me hungry. Ravenously hungry. Together with an accident that left me unable to do sports for quite a while, I ended up 10kg heavier than before I started. Quit the birth control but kept eating like I was still working out for 2 hours 6 times a week.

Long story short. I have 40kg to lose. A sliver of that I blame on hormones, the rest on my own stupidity.

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    I lose weight easier on birth control.

This is me! I lost weight on depo provera after my first kid, gained it back when off BC even before I was pregnant with #2, lost it on depo again, tried for a 3rd kid and gained it all back (no 3rd kid came along just gained 60 pounds in 2 years). The emotional hormonal waves were too much for me so my doctor gave me the Mirena IUD and I am no longer that hormonal, emotional wreck following the moon's cycle with a variety of snacks. Lol! I don't credit BC with ability to lose weight completely, but keeping my emotions level definitely helps.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've had my 3rd mirena 6 months only as I hemoraghed so bad it caused me to get sepsis at 5 months pregnant & I lost my baby then continued to hemoraghed this was caused by mirena coil removal after 2== 9 years it's quiet common I needed 11 blood transfusions in 3 months
    So I dont recommend the mirena it slows down my weightloss I retain so much more fluid now this has been verified by my doctor but I'd prob be dead or had a hysterectomy if I didn't have another mirena.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I've had my 3rd mirena 6 months only as I hemoraghed so bad it caused me to get sepsis at 5 months pregnant & I lost my baby then continued to hemoraghed this was caused by mirena coil removal after 2== 9 years it's quiet common I needed 11 blood transfusions in 3 months
    So I dont recommend the mirena it slows down my weightloss I retain so much more fluid now this has been verified by my doctor but I'd prob be dead or had a hysterectomy if I didn't have another mirena.

This makes no sense.

you had 3 mirena and the 3rd one lasted 6 months because you were pregnant and hemorrhaged

first off no responsible doctor would insert an IUD in a pregnant woman.
    2nd if you got pregnant while using Mirena you are a rare case and it's very atypical. which you should know if it's your 3rd.

It doesn't slow down weight loss at all that is not one of the listed side effects either....I had 2 lost most of my weight while using it.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was on the Depo for two years and I loved it. I had no problem losing weight on it; in fact, when I switched doctors a while back and went to get the injection, she said, "I wish I could show you to people who think the Depo causes you to gain weight because you are proof that it doesn't!" :D lol. I also had no horrible side effects that so many people seem to have- my advice is take all the stories with a grain of salt. There are far less people that make an effort to share good/normal results than there are people who want to tell you horror stories.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo for just shy of a year now, and it's been a mixed but mostly positive experience. I have had no troubles losing weight on the shot, HOWEVER, I have definitely noticed increased food cravings, especially that week before my period. The cravings slowed down my weight loss (because I was eating closer to maintenance), but now that I've stopped getting my period(WOOHOO) everything seems to be much more stable. I'm not getting food cravings as often/intense, and any mood swings are also now negligible.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I've been on Loestrin and never had any weight gain problems (that weren't attributed to bad eating choices). But we're all like snowflakes, and the human body is a varied and complex thing.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fewer pills I take, the happier my body and I will be. No more pills for me!

I've reached the point in my life where I'm not dating men who may want children. Grandchildren, maybe, but not children. I no longer take responsibility. If they haven't had the big V, they must buy and use the birth control. Luckily, the one guy I was serious about had already had the big V, so it was cool. :)

I am sorry but forcing a guy to do this just to have intercourse with them, seems wrong to me on so many levels.

If women are expected to provide their own birth control (pill, IUD, what have you) it's completely reasonable to expect men to bring condoms if they haven't had a vasectomy. You have the equipment, you bring the protection. It's very simple.