Options
2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    The message I took away was "ignore what you don't like, don't address problems".

I took it as don't let the number on the scale define you. That there is more to you than that number.

If someone thinks that their weight is the thing that defines them as a human, than that person is going to need a lot more than a feel good commercial to change that viewpoint. No your weight obviously doesn't define you, but your weight in comparison with your height, lean body mass, and body fat percentage are all good indicators of physical health. Your weight is absolutely the best tool to track changes in mass. It can be argued that attempting to diet without using a scale can absolutely be worse for you. I know that I've dieted in the past and was losing weight at a higher than optimal rate and the scale helped me see that so I ate more and corrected the problem. I'm just tired of this war against the scale, it is a tool, use it as such, stop demonizing it.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Love it -- I find it much easier to stick to my diet macros and exercise plan when I feel inspired by my life and the lives of others -- particularly those who have it so much harder than me. For example, I found it very hard to have time to exercise when I was raising a small child, but women manage to do awesome things with small children. Many men don't get it because even if they help (a lot) most women bear the brunt of all the day to day organizing, etc. That being said funny who sponsors this. -- Lean Cuisine never works for me. Not enough food! I get hungry and overeat on other things. I feel best when I eat sufficient quantities of minimally processed foods (or no process)!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    "Um...... screw you Lean Cuisine/Nestle"

was my take away from this video.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I like the ad and the sentiment, totally agree that womens' worth is not defined by the scale - to me, that's what this ad is addressing. However... come on lean cuisine. You market microwave meals that are 250-300 calories. You aren't about female empowerment. Know your lane. It's annoying when diet companies co-opt this messaging for marketing purposes.

I understand what you are saying, but empowered women with high self-esteem are more likely to take care of themselves, including managing their weight and health. Now, I personally would cook more than buying frozen meals, but many busy women who are dieting will buy them for the sake of convenience. So for those women and for the company, its a win-win to get this message home.
    For me finding that something that made me proud of myself (even if I didn't like the number on the scale) was something I had to do before I was able to make the changes I needed to make to lose weight.

Bullseye.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    The message I took away was "ignore what you don't like, don't address problems".

I took it as don't let the number on the scale define you. That there is more to you than that number.

If someone thinks that their weight is the thing that defines them as a human, than that person is going to need a lot more than a feel good commercial to change that viewpoint. No your weight obviously doesn't define you, but your weight in comparison with your height, lean body mass, and body fat percentage are all good indicators of physical health. Your weight is absolutely the best tool to track changes in mass. It can be argued that attempting to diet without using a scale can absolutely be worse for you. I know that I've dieted in the past and was losing weight at a higher than optimal rate and the scale helped me see that so I ate more and corrected the problem. I'm just tired of this war against the scale, it is a tool, use it as such, stop demonizing it.

Ah I see where you're coming from. Ok the scale had less demonic value lol when I stopped looking at it as my sole source of worth but we're friends now regardless of what it spits out.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    125goals wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Does being healthy not matter? I'm not getting the message.

I took it as ..we are more then our weight.

Sure you are, but there's very good reasons to strive for a healthy weight. First and foremost being/staying, well, healthy.

Agree. But some people think that the way you look is everything, it becomes a sick obsession. They let their worth be defined by their weight.

Well, there is some evidence that people who are described as attractive by others have different experiences with employment and discrimination, social functioning, and self esteem...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I thought the ad was decent. Kind of a good reminder to keep perspective. The women all looked like deer in the headlights at the sight of this big scale, and I'm not sure if that was because they were afraid of the truth of the scale or were afraid of being judged by others (the crew? us?) if they were forced to be weighed. The latter seems more like what was going on. Because even if we know on an intellectual level that our worth isn't defined by the number on the scale, I think I would still worry (as I suspect the ladies in the video might have) that others would determine my worth in this quantifiable way and judge me or rank me based on that, like "she's better than these women, but not as good as these other women." "Better" meaning "lighter", and "not as good" meaning "heavier".
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

Sure you are, but there's very good reasons to strive for a healthy weight. First and foremost being/staying, well, healthy.

Agree. But some people think that the way you look is everything, it becomes a sick obsession. They let their worth be defined by their weight.

Well, there is some evidence that people who are described as attractive by others have different experiences with employment and discrimination, social functioning, and self esteem...

Sorry I have a flu and I can't think too clearly so I'm failing to see your point, please explain?

Perhaps that it doesn't have to be either or? I want everyone to be healthy/want to be healthy and being overweight is just unhealthy, no argument there. But I also want a world without suicidal 12 year old kids who have been bullied because they're fat and statistics that show overweight women in particular make less money than their thinner coworkers while overweight men actually make more than their thinner peers (I point this out because of the focus on women in the video, not because men who are overweight don't have their share of challenges in the world).

I don't understand why it can't be both. No, it's not okay to just go "oh yeah I'm sure you're immune to heart attacks, feel free to keep eating at an absurd overage". No it's not okay that overweight people experience shaming, mistreatment, and often cruel judgment on a daily basis.

Both things are true. And WE can engage in both good behaviors: we can trample the hell out of anyone who body shames and we can dismantle and eliminate the excuses people use to stay overweight. It doesn't have to be black and white, and from a perspective of taking responsibility for the well being of our fellow man, it shouldn't be. (this isn't necessarily directed at you 125goals, your comment just provided a springboard for my thought :) )
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You were talking about defining worth by weight. I am suggesting there is some truth that a person's perceived "worthiness" is reconciled with the perception of worth that is reflected to them by their peers.

I can run around thinking I'm a perfect "10" all i want, but if everyone else perceives me a "5", i will only be taken as seriously as a "5". Weight changes a 5, closer to 10 if the person has a healthy physique, and downwards to a 1 if the person has completely abandoned their health.
    Protranser wrote: »

Sorry I have a flu and I can't think too clearly so I'm failing to see your point, please explain?