Can not loose weight!

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 33 weight 250 pounds. I eat under 1200 calories a day just simply because I'm not a big eater and never have been. I have done everything including diet pills. My doc don't believe me so he said log what you eat and don't go over 1200 calories. I just laughed and said no problem for me. He just looked ate like I was lie in or some kind of closest eater. I have struggled with this since I had my first child in which I gained 100 pound. So I was 17 with a newborn and 100 heavier. Nothing and I mean nothing has helped me... can anyone explain this to me???

I'm sorry but you got 250 so you got can eat more than 1200.
    No i don't diet I eat pretty healthy. Don't eat junk. I only can Handel one small piece of chocolate when it's that time of the month. I don't drink anything . I'm never thirsty and when I try to force anything I feel nauseous but never ever get sick.

There is no way you can say you eat 400 calories and eat healthy. That right there is an oxymoron.
    Eat more

That's exactly...........the opposite of what she should be doing.
    leahbowman wrote: »
    eating less than 1200 calories a day is where you are going wrong, you need to eat this amount of calories otherwise you are practically starving yourself and by doing that your body will store your fat.

Sorry that's not the way things work.
    Trust me I don't eat much .. i have been logging my food on here for 10 days and it won't give me a change because I'm not hitting the goal of 1250 calories . Some days I'm only at 400...

I believe you when you say how much you eat. CICO (Calories in calories out) is not helpful in several ways. You have reduced your calorie intake (Which seems really low. I am a similar weight and eat around 1900 cal a day) and your body may be thinking it has to hold on to what it has, so it may be compensating by reducing energy expenditures.

In theory, you should be losing weight, but it may take time. But if you maintain this low calorie level, you will more than likely lose muscle mass and lose energy before weight disappears.

Do you know your macros? (carbs, fat, protein).
    I personally am carb sensitive and cannot lose weight with higher than 50g carbs a day, and I usually eat less than that because it raises my blood glucose, which raises insulin levels, and insulin is THE main hormone for storing fat. And it increases hunger.

MFP can tell you what your calorie intake should be based on sex, height and weight and how much you want to lose per week. I would stay closer to that. Your current level is BELOW starvation levels and would make it hard for you to get enough energy and nutrients.

Nope. Another false post. CICO is helpful because it's not a way of eating, it's the way things are. If you think CICO doesn't apply to you then you're a modern miracle.

+2
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Liz, thanks for posting this. I hope the OP watches it and sees herself in it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @booksandchocolate12 I hope she watches it too.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    wanda601 wrote: »
    Eating the way you do has essentially shut down your body's metabolic furnace! It thinks it is starving and therefore won't let go of any weight. You're killing yourself by eating so little AND you HAVE to drink liquids! I started at 256# in June. I'm 61 years old. I have an underactive thyroid and am on medication for it. I had tried all kinds of eating plans to lose weight. Then I was diagnosed diabetic, so I started the diabetic eating plan. I eat between 1200 and 1600 calories a day, with a total of 160 grams of carbs. I've lost 40# so far and am no longer diabetic! The weight is coming off at about 2# per week -- a healthy rate. PLEASE! You HAVE to eat more calories to get your metabolism charged up again!

Just so dumb.

Dumb is not the word here. The problem is these myths get started and people believe them. You may be surprised to learn things that you think are true are not really true at all. Its not because you are dumb.

It behooves the diet industry to keep folks confused. If people desperate to lose weight understood how to do it properly, there would be no need for their products.

Of course doing it properly requires a bit of effort. First you have to be honest with yourself. Then you have to be willing to change. Track your food and exercise for your health.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Trust me I don't eat much .. i have been logging my food on here for 10 days and it won't give me a change because I'm not hitting the goal of 1250 calories . Some days I'm only at 400...

You need to open your diary.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Trust me.... you do it too much. Maybe without knowing or doing this on purpose. But you do.

First of all you need to weigh ALL your food in grams on a food scale. EVERYTHING
    Create a deficit and you WILL lose weight. How fast or slow is determent how big your deficit is, gender, age, how much overweight, medication etc etc ...but you WILL lose.

the reason people maintain or not lose or gain is always (too) much calories. No exceptions.

Open your diary so people really can help you out. Because like lots of members here you also are able to do this when you really want to and let people help you.

So...trust me :) because you can do it too

95069916.png

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Maybe you mean no more than 1200 cals since you started your latest diet, in which case it may take the scale a while to catch up. As for gaining to 250 without consuming many calories - I'm sorry, no. Add it all up. Eating, drinking - alcoholic bevarages, free refills, shakes, all count too. Some innocent looking foods could also have lots of calories due to oils, butter, rich sauces and the likes. If you really want testing done, you may have to firmly insist on it, just to get it out of your mind. I believe the doc suggested the logging as an exercise to show you where your calories were coming from, so if you go back with this same story, I don't know that they'd be spurred into action

Anyway, read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Katieusa68
    Katieusa68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recommend thyroid testing. TSH, T3 and T4. Simple blood tests.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    you didn't get to 250lbs by struggling to hit 1200 calories.
    This is really condenseding and unhelpful.

On my good days I struggle to eat 1200 calories. On my not so good ones I can eat over 3000. My diary is all over the place. Quality of food plays a part. My 400 calorie dinner often consists of a fuller plate then my brothers 800 calorie one. Because I eat more filling calorie dense foods. I'm not a big carb or fat eater so my calories go a long way. I got talked into a cheesesteak and ended up eating the whole thing. I was still hungry. Give me my normal healthy food and im stuffed. That being said I am still losing weight, even with my bad days and my love of alcohol. You have to measure and log everything. A serving of salad dressing is a lot less then you think. Butter or oil or wine you cook with is more calories. If you're gaining weight you have to be over eating. A lot of this is mental. You have to be true and honest to yourself. Don't worry about what others think. Its about you doing better for you and reaching your own personal goals. No one knows your story, no one knows your struggle. Its no ones business. I'm surprised I'm not a raging alcoholic, I think I do pretty good stopping when I do, but I still get called out by people who know nothing. I don't care. I do what I can to reach my own goals. That's what you need to do. I suspect you already know all this though. No one can help you but you.
  • coleykiins
    coleykiins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing get your thyroid checked. TSH and T4free along with antibodies. If you have hypothyroidism then yes absolutely this would explain your weight and low metabolism, no matter how little you eat. Also vitamin deficiencies such as iron, b12 and even vit D can contribute. Depression is also a big factor in why patients carry excess body weight. Def look into adding cardio. Start off reasonable-a 15 min walk 2 times week and then increase as you feel comfortable.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options
    coleykiins wrote: »
    First thing get your thyroid checked. TSH and T4free along with antibodies. If you have hypothyroidism then yes absolutely this would explain your weight and low metabolism, no matter how little you eat. Also vitamin deficiencies such as iron, b12 and even vit D can contribute. Depression is also a big factor in why patients carry excess body weight. Def look into adding cardio. Start off reasonable-a 15 min walk 2 times week and then increase as you feel comfortable.

Right. Look into all this, but don't look into weighing your food and logging accurately. It can't possibly be that.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I only read the first post so forgive me if I am repeating what others have said. I did this same thing for years. You are eating more than you think. You must weigh every bite in grams not ounces. At 250 you should be somewhere near 1600 a day. Get some exercise in. Not possible for the human body to not lose at 1200.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    coleykiins wrote: »

Right. Look into all this, but don't look into weighing your food and logging accurately. It can't possibly be that.

Op can do both
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited November 2015
    Options
    And I hope she does. But it seems to me that she'd be more receptive to one than to the other. Since, you know, she's doing everything 100% right and is 100% positive that she doesn't eat enough to make it to 1200 calories.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    These discussions wear me out. Watch the short film clip above. It's very very very easy to eat wayyyy more than you think you are eating. Case closed!! You only need to involve a medical team once you have created an utterly thorough 30 day food diary in which every sip & morsel you ingest can be matched to a weight based measurement & its corresponding nutritional info. Without that kind of data set this is just a huge circular discussion about nothing!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    These discussions wear me out. Watch the short film clip above. It's very very very easy to eat wayyyy more than you think you are eating. Case closed!! You only need to involve a medical team once you have created an utterly thorough 30 day food diary in which every sip & morsel you ingest can be matched to a weight based measurement & its corresponding nutritional info. Without that kind of data set this is just a huge circular discussion about nothing!

why does it wear you out? This is a forum with never ending posts. its not the first and wont be the last of this type of post.
    It takes some people more time than others for things to click. Sometimes you can really believe something is really true until you are really are ready to open your eyes and then make changes.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I hope OP comes back and lets us know if she figured it out!
  • tufas
    tufas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    If you're 250lbs then you must eat more than you think, overeating makes you gain weight and nothing else. Enter your stats on here for 1-1.5lb loss a week, buy a food scale, weigh and log everything. Try this for 3-4 weeks and see if you lose then :)

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You're right... I'm just jaded by the people who want to tell themselves fairy stories about weight issues and insist every one play along. The person who reaches 250 lbs eating 400 calories a day doesn't exist.