Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    For example if I ate 1,200 calories of chocolate would I loose weight a lot lower than if I ate 1,200 calories of something healthy like fruit and vegetables? I mostly eat healthily but have had a few weeks of eating not so healthy things (still within my calorie allowance) and wanted to know what kind of effects this has.

Think of calories as the gas that makes your car run.

Now you can put in 87 octane and your car will work, but will it run optimally? no it will not (Not caring about nutrition)

Can go to 89 Octane and it runs a bit better, this is a mix of high and low grade fuel- your car will run a bit better then if it was only using the 87 octane stuff but still not running optimally. (CICO / IIFYM)

Put in 91 octane your car will run allot better!!, be quicker off the line and it will last allot longer. (this would be eating healthy) - running optimally.

Put in 94 octane your car will run great, quicker off the line, last longer and run clean as *#($ (Eating all Organic)

It's just an analogy hope it helps

I see your knowledge of cars is about as good as your knowledge of nutrition.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    For example if I ate 1,200 calories of chocolate would I loose weight a lot lower than if I ate 1,200 calories of something healthy like fruit and vegetables? I mostly eat healthily but have had a few weeks of eating not so healthy things (still within my calorie allowance) and wanted to know what kind of effects this has.

Now you can put in 87 octane and your car will work, but will it run optimally? no it will not (Not caring about nutrition)

Can go to 89 Octane and it runs a bit better, this is a mix of high and low grade fuel- your car will run a bit better then if it was only using the 87 octane stuff but still not running optimally. (CICO / IIFYM)

Put in 91 octane your car will run allot better!!, be quicker off the line and it will last allot longer. (this would be eating healthy) - running optimally.

Put in 94 octane your car will run great, quicker off the line, last longer and run clean as *#($ (Eating all Organic)

It's an absolutely false analogy, but it is an analogy...

It's actually an excellent analogy, since purchasing a fuel with a higher octane rating than your manufacturer recommends will yield absolutely no benefit (just like eating organic)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

It's an absolutely false analogy, but it is an analogy...

It's actually an excellent analogy, since purchasing a fuel with a higher octane rating than your manufacturer recommends will yield absolutely no benefit (just like eating organic)

At least there was something useful in that analogy, then.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    If I ate 5000 calories of broccoli or of Snickers....all of those excess calories would be "bad" whether it's from broccoli or Snickers. A calorie CAN NOT be good or bad individually. The entire diet is what determines if a calories good or bad. In the middle of 150 mile bike ride and you need quick energy? Guess what, that coca cola is a good calorie right then. 250 calories over your goal for the day but you are thirsty? That Coca Cola is a bad calorie at that point.

This.

Everything in moderation.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    I used to think that a calorie is just a calorie, and that the quality didn't matter if you just focused on weight loss. But I'm not so sure anymore. For instance, a can of diet coke says its only 4 calories. So you're telling me drinking a case of that will impact your weight about the same as say a single serving (2 tbsp) of an avocado which is 50 calories? Yeah right....

You guys go ahead and keep touting such CICO lines, which I'm sure the processed food industry loves.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I used to think that a calorie is just a calorie, and that the quality didn't matter if you just focused on weight loss. But I'm not so sure anymore. For instance, a can of diet coke says its only 4 calories. So you're telling me drinking a case of that will impact your weight about the same as say a single serving (2 tbsp) of an avocado which is 50 calories? Yeah right....

You guys go ahead and keep touting such CICO lines, which I'm sure the processed food industry loves.

What? You are comparing drinking a case of diet coke with eating 2 tbsp of avocado? Did I get that right? Why on earth is that a comparison? Now I really have heard everything. At least most people compare two completely disparate foods, like broccoli and doughnuts - but to compare a carbonated beverage to an avocado and talk about how that will impact your weight?

Also how would 50 calories of anything impact a person's weight? That is about 2.5% of a person's normal daily intake if on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

You're trying to tell me drinking a case of water doesn't make you fat? Yeah right, I'm onto you, Big DHMO! I'll blow this case wide open!!!
  • corpus_validum
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    What? You are comparing drinking a case of diet coke with eating 2 tbsp of avocado? Did I get that right? Why on earth is that a comparison? Now I really have heard everything. At least most people compare two completely disparate foods, like broccoli and doughnuts - but to compare a carbonated beverage to an avocado and talk about how that will impact your weight?

Also how would 50 calories of anything impact a person's weight? That is about 2.5% of a person's normal daily intake if on a 2000 calorie diet.

How on earth is that a comparison? It's effen 50 calories contrasted against another 50 calories? DUH!!!

If you really believe 12 cans of diet coke can only constitute 2.5% of person's normal daily calorie intake, then you must be a happy sucker.
  • stevencloser
    WinoGelato wrote: »

How on earth is that a comparison? It's effen 50 calories contrasted against another 50 calories? DUH!!!

If you really believe 12 cans of diet coke can only constitute 2.5% of person's normal daily calorie intake, then you must be a happy sucker.

Right!!! Every time I drink a liter of water, I'm over 2 pounds heavier! What do they put into that stuff? Can't be good for you, those chemicals!!!
  • corpus_validum
    edited November 2015
    You're trying to tell me drinking a case of water doesn't make you fat? Yeah right, I'm onto you, Big DHMO! I'll blow this case wide open!!!

What I'm trying to illustrate with such an outrageous comparison is that saying a calorie is just a calorie as long as IIFYM can be awfully deceiving. I tend to believe that how one gets to their arbitrary caloric goal (be it 1,200 or 2,000) matters.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Good calories= food that you like.
    Bad calories= Burnt food, spoiled food, food that you dislike.
  • stevencloser

What I'm trying to illustrate with such an outrageous comparison is that saying a calorie is just a calorie as long as IIFYM can be awfully deceiving. I tend to believe that how one gets to their arbitrary caloric limit matters.

There is one absolute known fact about weight loss. You can't store energy that isn't there.
    If something only contains 5 calories, you only get 5 calories of energy out of that. And 5 calories is 0.15% of a pound of fat or 0,7 grams.
  • corpus_validum
    edited November 2015
    There is one absolute known fact about weight loss. You can't store energy that isn't there.
    If something only contains 5 calories, you only get 5 calories of energy out of that. And 5 calories is 0.15% of a pound of fat or 0,7 grams.

I get that. But does every food/drink of equal calorie count have the same impact on your body? Of course not. Some can cause bloating, inflammation, etc. In addition to monitoring daily caloric input, people should also try to better understand the impact of certain foods on their bodies.

Which goes back to the OP's question: is there such things as good and bad calories? Depends on your particular body. For many, it doesn't matter. For others, it does.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I get that. But does every food/drink of equal calorie count have the same impact on your body? Of course not. Some can cause bloating, inflammation, etc. In addition to monitoring daily caloric input, people should also try to better understand the impact of certain foods on their bodies.

So you didn't read the thread? Because that's exactly what people have saying. Calories are identical. Foods are not. Different foods have different nutritional profiles and different impacts on satiety, macros/micros, overall health, etc. but some foods (and drinks - like Diet Coke and wine, two of my favorites) have other benefits including personal enjoyment and encouraging adherence.

I'm not sure where you saw someone say otherwise?

• stevencloser

Which goes back to the OP's question: is there such things as good and bad calories? Depends on your particular body. For many, it doesn't matter. For others, it does.

You're moving the goalposts here, you said "impact on your weight" initially. And it most definitely does not, aside from the joking gaining of 2 pounds after drinking a liter of water.
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    "For example if I ate 1,200 calories of chocolate would I loose weight a lot lower than if I ate 1,200 calories of something healthy like fruit and vegetables? I mostly eat healthily but have had a few weeks of eating not so healthy things (still within my calorie allowance) and wanted to know what kind of effects this has. "

yes,there is a significant difference with different foods

the energy(calories) in food is measured in the same way as energy in other products-in a bomb calorimeter

this tells us the calories a food contains-but not how many of those the body absorbs.

for instance carbs have 4cal/g
    25 g of glucose will be fully absorbed by the body as 100cals,
    whereas 25g of fibre(another carbohydrate) will not be absorbed at all,so you could discount all fibre calories in your diet.
    protein also has 4cal/g but the energy required to digest it means that 100 cal of protein ends up as 75 absorbed.
    alcohol has 7cal/g but is immediately metabolised by the body,as well as excreted unchanged so hard to know net effect of those calories.
    fat has 9cal/g and gasoline has 10cal/g,but i wouldnt recommend swallowing gasoline-unless you are a fire eater.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2015

What I'm trying to illustrate with such an outrageous comparison is that saying a calorie is just a calorie as long as IIFYM can be awfully deceiving. I tend to believe that how one gets to their arbitrary caloric goal (be it 1,200 or 2,000) matters.

What you're demonstrating instead is a complete and total misunderstanding of context and dosage.

The comparison itself is so ridiculous as to not even warrant comment.
  • corpus_validum
    edited November 2015
    deleted
  • hooltwl1957
    hooltwl1957 Posts: 31 Member

U would lose the same amount of weight no matter what u eat but remember weight loss is just one part of the puzzle. If u continued to eat junk all day, your body will eventually run sluggish. You could end up with heart disease, liver disease, poor autoimmune response to name a few. Think of your body as a car that will run on any grade gas but will run at its best on high octane fuel. Eat a balanced diet to feel your best. Don't get taken in by dieting fads such as no carb or high protein diets. U will end up weaker and possibly destroy your health. Just do what people have been doing all along, eat a well balanced diet and reward yourself with your favorite foods as a snack. Exercise is also a necessary part of the equation. U don't have to become obsessed with exercise but don't sit around all day watching cable and expect to feel your best. Good luck, you can do this!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    The macros matter, and that's to losing fat, not just health. If you don't eat protein, you won't keep the same body composition, because you'll end up losing existing muscle from your body to make up for the protein you don't get through your diet.

Then you could extrapolate that out and see a metabolism difference after losing muscle, so it would affect your weight later, too (all other things remaining the same).

[Then there are probably similar effects from various vitamin deficiencies. I got muscle wasting from a prolonged case of vitamin b-12 deficiency (not because of diet) and it was because of that disease one way or another (I don't understand the mechanism). I went from at least 125 lbs to 85 and didn't mean to at all!]