Legit question. Housework....exercise or no?

Options
Now, I have a bit of OCD.

I clean everyday but 2 days out of the week I go crazy with cleaning. and when I do that. I log it in as exercise. Because for me it is, I sweat more those 2 days than i do for my normal work outs, wake up with arms and legs sore as crap and all that mess.
I'm not talking taking a mop and doing the floors, folding laundry and all that.

As an example, when I go crazy cleaning I do all my floors on my hands and knees, packed with a toothbrush to get the nooks and crannies, and scrub every inch.

Log it or no?

***EDIT***
I am saying to log the 2 days where I deep clean, not everyday housework. I do wear an HRM and it levels out the same as when I'm working out.

Replies

• fidgit813
    fidgit813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it counts...maybe not the general straightening up sort of cleaning, but what you're describing sounds like a legit workout to me!
  • SlimdownMommie
    SlimdownMommie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually log my house cleaning in the exercise I usually down play my time though. For instance, if I know I have cleaned for 4 hours with out taking a break, i will only log 2 hours of it because some of those times I could be standing to do the dishes or folding the laundry. Everything thing else I am up and walking from one end of the house to the other sweeping mopping bending and so on.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    No
  • jbronowski
    jbronowski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't log as excersize but update your profile. There is a section that asks what you do for a living (ie, secretary - sitting all day / or laborer - running around/on feet). This should help with an accurate overview.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.

+1.

If house work is exercise, what about those who work manual labor, can they count that as exercise?
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    would you like my address. just kidding. if it's out of the ordinary and a killer workout, I might log it but down play my time.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    That's my thinking too (not to log it), although admittedly I don't get as crazy as you about cleaning. Is your house really that dirty? I don't log housework, laundry, sex. Honestly I wouldn't log mowing the lawn, washing the cars or picking weeds if I just decided to do that for hubby either. But that's just me. Before surgery I worked out m-f and usually got in a hike or tennis on the weekend. Those got logged and I ate back half my burned calories just because it seems you can never really tell how many calories you've actually burned.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have set your activity level at... if it's set to sedentary... then go for it... if it's set higher than that... then I would say... mmm... probably not.

Perhaps you can get an activity tracker (like fitbit) to calculate those calories for you already. I have my calorie goal set to sedentary but have a fitbit, so I don't track my cleaning calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have set your activity level at... if it's set to sedentary... then go for it... if it's set higher than that... then I would say... mmm... probably not.

Perhaps you can get an activity tracker (like fitbit) to calculate those calories for you already. I have my calorie goal set to sedentary but have a fitbit, so I don't track my cleaning calories.

no
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input =)

And no, my house isn't that dirty. I normal clean everyday. and then twice a week I get every inch. I have a toddler, 3 cats and 2 dogs in the house. Needless to say if i dont clean every inch, I'd rather not find hidden cheerios that have been chilling in a corner for a month.
  • fanakar
    fanakar Posts: 23
    Options
    It sounds like you have two days out of the week where you do more than your normal amount of housework. I would suggest buying a heart rate monitor or a podometer. Track your activity on a normal day and then on a "super clean" day. If you notice there is a significant difference on the superclean days, I would count that activity as extra.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Nope.

+1.

If house work is exercise, what about those who work manual labor, can they count that as exercise?

Those who work manual labor should have set a higher activity level to automatically get more calories allotted anyway... and just because cleaning is something you had been doing when you got fat doesn't really mean anything... because you weren't tracking everything you were doing/eating before.

Because I use a fitbit to track most of my activities, my cleaning calories are counted because I am moving... not because it can tell what exactly I am doing... your body doesn't care how or why you are moving, it just cares that you are.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

no

Well that is a smart rebuttal.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Btw, I have had plenty of friends that have logged their cleaning as exercise and have lost a great deal of weight.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I log my cleaning one day a week even though I am cleaning throughout the week.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also just to clarify I don't log it everyday.

Only the 2 days :smile:
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a sedentary job and do not deep clean my house everyday. I usually do a deep clean once a week and will log that (using my HRM reading). I do not count daily cleaning like a quick vacuum, doing dishes or folding laundry.