Legit question. Housework....exercise or no?

Options

Replies

• XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The big question is do you eat back those calories burned from cleaning?

If you do, and are losing at a rate you are happy with, then continue on with what works.

If you eat them back and are not losing, then quit logging them or eating them back.

If you do NOT eat them back, then it is completely irrelevant.

Activity is activity. Doesn't matter how you get it in.

When I deep clean and log. I dont eat back the calories. Kinda just log it to keep track of what I do during the day. I dont log vacuuming, dishes, mopping or laundry since those I do everyday.

I starting trying to lose little over 2 weeks ago and have lost 5lbs since changing my eating habits (eating more)

Since you don't eat them back. it doesn't matter if you log it or not, and no need to get permission from the people here.
    Sounds like you are doing just fine, and what you are doing is working for you, so congrats!

I don't eat my exer cals back, as I use them to supplement my deficit, and exercise is sporadic with me. I will log my activity, whether it is biking, swimming, mowing, or weight lifting, or even power-cooking or power cleaning days, just to keep track of my activity levels.
    You keep doing what you are doing.

Perfect reply.

Thank you =)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree.
    That is your right.
    Your calories are not calculated according to what you did before or after you came to this site. They are calculated on a day of doing minimal activity and then you add exercise as you do it.
    No.
    You are able to set your activity level, if this is something you've been doing for a coon's age, then it's already figured in when you set your activity level.
    Housework is exercise.
    Considering how the olympics are going, they might be welcomed in.
    If someone rode a bike twice a week before coming to this site, they would count it.
    Again, no. That effort would be factored into the activity level that is set on a per user basis. Not everyone set their account to sedentary.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Don't log it. It's not exercise, but rather part of your normal activities. They are factored into the activity level you select when you set up MFP.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating, yeah. If it's just to lazily dust the nick nacks, no.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Since you don't eat them back. it doesn't matter if you log it or not, and no need to get permission from the people here.
    Sounds like you are doing just fine, and what you are doing is working for you, so congrats!

I don't eat my exer cals back, as I use them to supplement my deficit, and exercise is sporadic with me. I will log my activity, whether it is biking, swimming, mowing, or weight lifting, or even power-cooking or power cleaning days, just to keep track of my activity levels.

Perfect reply.

Thank you =)

Oh, I don't think we as a collective realized you were just looking for validation.

In that case.

Oh yeah, log it. Every time.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options

Perfect reply.

Thank you =)

Oh, I don't think we as a collective realized you were just looking for validation.

In that case.

Oh yeah, log it. Every time.

Will do:wink:
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I say no. Anything that is a regual life activity, such as cleaning I do not count on as calories burned, I don't count any calories I may burn walking during the day at work etc. Anything I do above and beyond my daily routine I count. So if I decided to walk to work one day (which I don't normally do) I would count that, any running, weight lifting, workout clases I do count. But I don't really think cleaning counts, sorry, just my opinion.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you're wearing your HRM, and it's showing your HR is elevated as high as a cardio workout, and you are sweating, I would call it a legit workout. I do the same thing. I'll wear my HRM if I'm doing some "super cleaning", and if it shows I'm in my "zone", I count it. If not, then, no.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I would log it. It *is* exercise. Also I hate housework, even more than 30 Day Shred, so that would be a little additional carrot. I suppose it would be different if I said that I was moderately active when I set up my profile, but since I mostly sit all day I didn't say that.

You don't necessarily have to eat up all of your exercise calories either. It's just kind of fun to collect them, at least for me it is.
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    I say no. Anything that is a regual life activity, such as cleaning I do not count on as calories burned, I don't count any calories I may burn walking during the day at work etc. Anything I do above and beyond my daily routine I count. So if I decided to walk to work one day (which I don't normally do) I would count that, any running, weight lifting, workout clases I do count. But I don't really think cleaning counts, sorry, just my opinion.

Appreciate your opinion.

I guess that's where I'm confused at. I work out everyday. I run a min of 2 miles every single day and have been for a good while now (before joining MFP) also i lift weights, hit the gym etc etc.

I run everyday....your saying I should count that.
    I deep clean 2 days out of the week, breaking a full sweat and wake up sore as if i just just squats, push ups and bicep curls.....doesn't count?

I was told I do not eat enough, so I try to log strenuous activities to fully realize the activity level and kinda base it on how much i should eat even though i dont eat back those calories...if that makes sense?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.

+1.

If house work is exercise, what about those who work manual labor, can they count that as exercise?

That should be accounted for in the activity level you set when you set up your profile. You wouldn't come here and say you are "sedentary" or "lightly active" when you know you bust your *kitten* every day would you?
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    Options
    Don't log as excersize but update your profile. There is a section that asks what you do for a living (ie, secretary - sitting all day / or laborer - running around/on feet). This should help with an accurate overview.
    This I'd change your activity level but I wouldn't log it. IF you do log it I'd log it as light cleaning and 1/2 the time I did. I just don't feel like it's legit.

Off topic but I LOVE your hair. =)
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Nope.

It's housework. If it's part of what you were doing normally when you came to the site, you've already accounted for it when you set up your tracker.

I agree with this. I do not count housework as exercise. Log it? Sure. But it's everyday activity.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Through the week, no. On Saturdays yes because I do the heavy and yucky stuff for longer periods of time. I don't count it, though.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing if it is working for you. I LOVE how many replies say "don't count it cause it is normal activity" when you have clearly stated it isn't an everyday activity.

I workout 5 days a week at the gym (elliptical and weights). Some weekends, not all, I clean like a fiend or do heavy yard work for 6-8 hours and I do log it. Although I log it as @2 hours of cleaning/gardening. Some weekends, not all, I also do a circuit training class or a DVD. If we shouldn't be logging "normal" activity I guess maybe I shouldn't log my workouts at all cause I do those a lot more regularly then I do super industrial housekeeping.

I have a desk job so my activity level is set to sedentary. I like using that setting because it takes the guess work out of "was I active enough this particular day?" - I can just add activity as I do it. And like you I only count it if I am worn out and exhausted at the end of the job - loading the dishwasher, laundry, and cooking never make the cut. I don't eat back all my calories but I do eat back some of them especially when my log reveals I have had a super active day.

Oh and Most of my MFP friends do the same and we are all having success in our weight loss journey.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    arrested-development-dont-know-what-expected.gif
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM of 3 kids, so I'm always cleaning and I don't log any of it. However, my lifestyle is set to light active..maybe you can do that instead.
  • travisbabygirl12
    Options
    deep cleaning is i feel it when i deep clean big time
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you have set your activity level at... if it's set to sedentary... then go for it... if it's set higher than that... then I would say... mmm... probably not.

Perhaps you can get an activity tracker (like fitbit) to calculate those calories for you already. I have my calorie goal set to sedentary but have a fitbit, so I don't track my cleaning calories.

no

Well that is a smart rebuttal.

I really don't feel like wasting my time - which I am doing now - on a dead horse...this one get tossed about like every other day..

Exercise is something that you do in addition to your daily activities...i.e. Cleaning...I mean my office is on the second floor I walk up and down stairs every day..but I do not "log" that..it is built into my activity level for the day.

satisfied?

You're still wrong. if you took the elevator everyday, and then the stairs two days a week as your workout, then that would be extra. Just like how she does extensive cleaning two days a week wich goes above and beyond what she normally does. I don't get why people think just because it is cleaning it doesn't count. She could be burning more calories than somebodies 4 mile walk.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If someone rode a bike twice a week before coming to this site, they would count it.
    [/quote]
    "Again, no. That effort would be factored into the activity level that is set on a per user basis. Not everyone set their account to sedentary."
    [/quote]

If what you were saying was true there would be no option to enter exercise calories, because everything one does is already set up in their activity level.