Favorite Protein Bar?

Options
I am wanting to try some type of Protein Bar in the afternoon before I exercise and dinner to hold me over and don't eat as much for dinner.

I plan on visiting GNC so I did some research and found the Quest Bars. I notice they are a little expensive, so I am hesitant on buying a lot of them.

Anyone else have a favorite bar that they use between exercise and dinner?

Replies

• sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Lenny and Larry cookies. I know it's not a bar, but they're good. Lots of protein too.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different protein bars and to be honest Quest bars are my favorite taste wise and nutritionally.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I make homemade quest bars from recipes I found on Pinterest. The secret ingredient is vitafiber (found on Amazon). Once your pantry is properly stocked, comes to about 88 cents per bar. YouTube has homemade quest bar videos.
    If your more concerned with convenience then Cliff bars are my second choice. You can get a 24 pack for under $20 at Sam's or Costco.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like Quest, Sci Mx and Pure Protein.
  • ecneal4
    ecneal4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quest are definitely worth it! White Choc Raspberry is my fave. GNC offs has buy three get one free deals and i stock up.
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Fit Crunch Bars by Robert Irvine are great. They have peanut butter, cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough. The peanut butter is the best. I like them much better than the Quest bars.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tried one Quest bar and hated it. It tasted gritty to me.
    I LOVE Clif Builders chocolate mint. Yum.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Did not care for the Quest Bars. I like the Pure Protein - buy them by the case at Sam's club. Also more economical.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I often make homemade protein/energy bites. They taste a bit like cliff bars.

Oats, peanut butter, protein powder, (ground flax, chocolate chips, cocoa powder... anything else like that, then enough water to make it mold-able). And they're all of about 10 cents per 100 calories. There's about 6g each of fat, protein and carbs. You can decrease the fat by using PB2 instead of peanut butter (but that increases the cost).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    anything by pure protein!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    DO NOT TRY QUEST BARS, they had a formula change are now disgusting. It was very recently they did this, so every good thing you've heard is about the old recipe. The new ones are horrid.

They didn't do it too recently; the formulas have been changed for at least six months now. I eat the corn fiber ones all the time and they taste just fine to me. Everyone is different but OP should decide for themselves. Personally I feel that whenever a company changes their ingredient list people will complain no matter what, but that's just me.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Quest are the only ones I've tried that I can stand. Cookies and cream and white chocolate raspberry are my favourites.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Aerocrazd wrote: »
    Fit Crunch Bars by Robert Irvine are great. They have peanut butter, cookies and cream and chocolate chip cookie dough. The peanut butter is the best. I like them much better than the Quest bars.

This is me... Quest bars are absoltely nasty..

If you do not want a crunch and want goo and chewy... then do the quest.. heat them up first though.. they have a bad after taste and this is with both the regular and the ones with stevia.. Its like eating flavored paint spackle..

the Fit Crunch are just like candy bars.. and the Combat ones are really good too..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I'm going through my favorite Quest bar flavors with the new formula and they're not completely bad so far. Just not...as pliable as they used to be (which sucks because I'm eating half a protein bar for my early after snack these days and I can't really just pull off a bit of bar to eat at a time).

So those and I like the chewy chocolate chip flavor Pure Protein bars and I'm checking out various flavors of B Up bars.

Also, the peanut butter chocolate Market Pantry (Target) bar is really good!
  • liftingwateringcan
    liftingwateringcan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I often make homemade protein/energy bites. They taste a bit like cliff bars.

Oats, peanut butter, protein powder, (ground flax, chocolate chips, cocoa powder... anything else like that, then enough water to make it mold-able). And they're all of about 10 cents per 100 calories. There's about 6g each of fat, protein and carbs. You can decrease the fat by using PB2 instead of peanut butter (but that increases the cost).

Thank you!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the Quest bars, but I also like the Luna Protein bars (which I just saw are made by the same company as Clif) for a quick pick me up for less calories than the Quest (which feels more like a meal replacement than a snack calorie-wise). I think that Clif bars have MUCH better taste but they also have much less protein for the calories (again more meal calories than snack calories). I think it depends on what you're looking for and your personal taste.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the corn fiber formulation in Quest bars now. They leave a nasty after taste for me. I think this might be an individual thing. My husband tastes it on some bars and not others. I taste it in all of them.

I no longer eat Quest bars.

I'm going to start making my own. Until then, I have some that will do (Combat Crunch and B-Up bars), but none are really favorites.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh! Forget the Quest bars! Quest chips!!!! Protein....and flavor....and....CHIPS! :)
  • arogers0541
    arogers0541 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I am hopefully I will be able to purchase a couple individual ones and see which I like better.