2 weeks off fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Sigh, I've missed almost a week of weight sessions. The three weeks before that have been very sporadic. This was due to an insane work/study/kids schedule.
    Tomorrow I'm back to it starting at 4.30am. It's gonna hurt
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think that this time of year doesn't help. The darker nights drawing in, colder outside.

It is always this time of year that my training routine gets a little sloppy. I am back at it today though! Thanks for the thread :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Right now you could describe me as a rum jello shooter.
    Been on vacation for a week and between that, and having a dose of the flu a week or two before that left me as a bag of mashed potatoes, I feel that it will take until the new year to get any fitness level back.

I have found, being older, I can feel as though I have lost all strength after a couple of weeks.

The week vacation was well worth it, just wish I hadn't had the flu before.

This week, laundry, nerdfitness, and a bit of rowing machine; next- I better get right back on the programme or I know I will make all the excuses possible. Then kick myself for slacking off.

@tomatoey sorry that your probs are so ongoing, I thought it was just a slight derailment you had. :'(

@Annie_01 best of luck with the arm. That is a long recovery period.

Cheers, h.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have heard the phrase 'muscle memory' and heard it said that it is easier to recover a level of fitness that to achieve it the first time. Is that true?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    anyway i didn't mean to derail myself, sorry lol

I didn't think it was a derailment at all. I think that it actually ties in.

We all have those times whether it be illness, injuries, vacations or all of those other life events that happen. Those events can derail us from our fitness goals.

Maybe reading the article and hearing about from some of us that have had to stop our training will motivate others to keep pushing. In six weeks my arm has gone from fairly firm to scary bag of mush. I think that there are some that think they can take a month or two off and maintain their current level of fitness. Hopefully they will learn from the article and the experiences related here...that probably won't happen.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Right now you could describe me as a rum jello shooter.
    Been on vacation for a week and between that, and having a dose of the flu a week or two before that left me as a bag of mashed potatoes, I feel that it will take until the new year to get any fitness level back.

I have found, being older, I can feel as though I have lost all strength after a couple of weeks.

The week vacation was well worth it, just wish I hadn't had the flu before.

This week, laundry, nerdfitness, and a bit of rowing machine; next- I better get right back on the programme or I know I will make all the excuses possible. Then kick myself for slacking off.

@tomatoey sorry that your probs are so ongoing, I thought it was just a slight derailment you had. :'(

@Annie_01 best of luck with the arm. That is a long recovery period.

Cheers, h.

Thank you so very much.
    I have heard the phrase 'muscle memory' and heard it said that it is easier to recover a level of fitness that to achieve it the first time. Is that true?

I am hoping it is true!

M muscles are old like me however...tend to be forgetful...

• kayakerandbiker
    kayakerandbiker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I ruptured my Achilles early last summer and it required surgery immediately. I was in a weightless cast for 10 weeks, a boot for another 8, and on a cane for about 3 weeks. The "good" thing was I was so chicken about going up and down the exterior stair case of my condo (I'm in a second floor unit) that I lifted myself up by my arms. So last summer I saw a significant improvement in my upper body strength. Up until the surgery I had been riding my bike between 30-40 miles daily. My cardio stamina returned quickly but even with PT the strength in my right leg/calf took a lot of time to restore.