Weight loss without exercise?

Options
laurenummy
laurenummy Posts: 31 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

Height : 5'3

I started my weight loss journey in January. Started at 175lbs, got down to 138lbs. Goal is 120lbs.

Due to having a heart problem called SVT (Superventricular Tachycardia) I can't exercise much due to my heart rate going into overdrive with no brakes lol.

This last 20lbs I have left to lose is proving to be very difficult and I know exercise would have been the answer if I didn't have SVT.

My calories are 1200 per day so decreasing them anymore isn't an option.

Any info or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thanks !!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? How accurate is your calorie counting?
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Would walking, even at a slow pace, be something you could do?
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Yea I use a food scale.
    It's very accurate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How long have you stalled for ?

You probably have issues coming into your logging after that long...tighten it up
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Yeah walking is fine, but I literally walk everywhere and I've done that all my life so I think my body is used to it lol.
    Thing is, I LOVE exercising so this couldn't have happened to a worse person :(
  • laurenummy
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How long have you stalled for ?

You probably have issues coming into your logging after that long...tighten it up

Hi,
    Probably stalled for about 3/4 weeks.
    Usually everything I eat is similar each day, and same portion size so can't be doing much wrong. I am deffs a creature of habit lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Hold tight for another 3-4 weeks then evaluate

The closer to goal I got the more my weight stuck and whooshed

Make sure you're weighing everything not eyeballing portion sizes
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Could you swim? Or maybe try yoga and Pilates?
  • laurenummy
    Options
    lil_lizt wrote: »

Hi,
    Swimming and Pilates are a big no no lol.
    Yoga may be okay but wouldnt think it would contribute much to weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    laurenummy wrote: »

Hi,

If Pilates is off the table, yoga should be too, except for gentle yoga, which would indeed not burn many calories, but does have other benefits, such as stretching and de-stressing.

How many miles per day are you walking?
  • laurenummy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    laurenummy wrote: »

Hi,

If Pilates is off the table, yoga should be too, except for gentle yoga, which would indeed not burn many calories, but does have other benefits, such as stretching and de-stressing.

How many miles per day are you walking?

Sorry,

I meant beginner style yoga.
    I can't put a number of miles on it but 4 - 5 days per week I walk for at least 80minutes per day. Sometimes more. But when I hit hills etc I do find myself having to stop regularly due to my heart condition e.g. sore chest, intense dizziness, palpitations, vision going blurry.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You might just be stuck for awhile. In your case you could try going with a low-carb eating plan. My bigger concern would be what are the long-term plans for treating/managing your condition? You are awfully young to be constantly worrying about excessive exertion.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you get symptoms that bad and have them frequently you should talk with your cardiologist about treatment? Both my father and little sister have this condition, both have been treated with medication, and then my dad finally had a cardiac ablation as he is a competitive runner and the medication was hindering his performance. If you love exercise and want to continue with it you should talk to your doctor about your options.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal, the harder and slower it is to get the weight off. I'm 5'1", down to 123lbs and it has taken since about October 1st get this last 2 pounds off. I do walk every day and try to stay at or over 1200, depending on exercise. It'll come off, it'll just take some time.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How many meals per day do you eat to get your 1200 in ? Try splitting the 1200 into 4-6 meals per day. It can help to keep your metabolism up. Good luck..
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    How many meals per day do you eat to get your 1200 in ? Try splitting the 1200 into 4-6 meals per day. It can help to keep your metabolism up. Good luck..

That won't make any difference at all..sorry
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    " Your estimated BMR is: 1,360 calories/day*

*BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only."

So given this might be 10% off, or worse, you may well be close to maintenance. If you can walk or cycle with an HRM at a steady 110 - 120 bpm you'll be contributing to fat loss.
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    You might just be stuck for awhile. In your case you could try going with a low-carb eating plan. My bigger concern would be what are the long-term plans for treating/managing your condition? You are awfully young to be constantly worrying about excessive exertion.

I've tried getting Cathater Ablation surgery but sadly was unsuccessful. So I'm currently getting a second opinion from another doctor.

I am young but when your heart rate shoots up to over 200bpm whilst putting minimal effort into exercise it gets scary. It also doesn't come down when I stop exercising it can take a long time.

• laurenummy
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    If you get symptoms that bad and have them frequently you should talk with your cardiologist about treatment? Both my father and little sister have this condition, both have been treated with medication, and then my dad finally had a cardiac ablation as he is a competitive runner and the medication was hindering his performance. If you love exercise and want to continue with it you should talk to your doctor about your options.

Hi,
    Thanks for the info :)
    I'm afraid I have already gotten a Cathater ablation surgery and it wasn't successful. Can't go on beta blockers because I have asthma.

Literally feel like this condition has destroyed my life :/