Weight loss without exercise?

Options

Replies

• laurenummy
    laurenummy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    " Your estimated BMR is: 1,360 calories/day*

*BMR based on the Mifflin - St. Jeor equations. Please remember that even the best BMR calculators provide only a best guess and should be used as a guide only."

So given this might be 10% off, or worse, you may well be close to maintenance. If you can walk or cycle with an HRM at a steady 110 - 120 bpm you'll be contributing to fat loss.

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't get my heart into a "target heart zone" to burn fat like a normal person can.
    My heart rate goes from 80 - 220 within seconds of low impact/intensity exercise. It's just all to do with the electrical wiring of my heart

• laurenummy
    Options
    steuartcj wrote: »
    How many meals per day do you eat to get your 1200 in ? Try splitting the 1200 into 4-6 meals per day. It can help to keep your metabolism up. Good luck..

3 meals and sometimes 1 snack.
    I don't believe in the whole 4-6 meals for higher metabolism, nor could I find the time to eat that many times everyday.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Care to open your diary?
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your doctor has told you these things, but I wanted to give you a couple of "tricks" to try if you should find yourself in SVT and before help arrives. We call them vagal maneuvers, because they stimulate the vagus nerve, which controls heart rate among other things. The first thing is bear down and try to make your face as red as possible (or blow really hard through a straw). Secondly, you can quickly douse your face in very cold water (ice water is preferable). These two activities may slow your heart rate until you can get further help (like if you're at the gym or out on a walk and you feel your HR shoot up). These are not treatments, just intermediary helps.
  • laurenummy
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Perhaps your doctor has told you these things, but I wanted to give you a couple of "tricks" to try if you should find yourself in SVT and before help arrives. We call them vagal maneuvers, because they stimulate the vagus nerve, which controls heart rate among other things. The first thing is bear down and try to make your face as red as possible (or blow really hard through a straw). Secondly, you can quickly douse your face in very cold water (ice water is preferable). These two activities may slow your heart rate until you can get further help (like if you're at the gym or out on a walk and you feel your HR shoot up). These are not treatments, just intermediary helps.

Hi,
    Yes my doctor informed me about these little maneuvers. But whilst doing them in front of doctors in a&e they realised it didn't help much and they had to give me 2 injections of adenosine, even at that my heart was still higher than normal.

Thanks for info anyways
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you can't increase your activity level or drop your calories (don't), you're going have to be extremely patient. I see you are using a food scale, but if there is anything you can do to tighten up your logging, do it. Your TDEE is lower now as you weight less and your deficit is naturally smaller. You might only lose .25 lbs per week.
  • laurenummy
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If you can't increase your activity level or drop your calories (don't), you're going have to be extremely patient. I see you are using a food scale, but if there is anything you can do to tighten up your logging, do it. Your TDEE is lower now as you weight less and your deficit is naturally smaller. You might only lose .25 lbs per week.

Okay thanks :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    No advice here. Just dropping in to give you moral support. You are fighting a tough, mean fight. Power on! I hope you find a solution to this medical problem...
  • laurenummy
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    No advice here. Just dropping in to give you moral support. You are fighting a tough, mean fight. Power on! I hope you find a solution to this medical problem...

Aw thank you :)
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Can you work with a good trainer or physiotherapist and do some light strength training? Even a gradual muscle gain would help you control your weight in the long term.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    laurenummy wrote: »
    Hello!

Height : 5'3

I started my weight loss journey in January. Started at 175lbs, got down to 138lbs. Goal is 120lbs.

Due to having a heart problem called SVT (Superventricular Tachycardia) I can't exercise much due to my heart rate going into overdrive with no brakes lol.

This last 20lbs I have left to lose is proving to be very difficult and I know exercise would have been the answer if I didn't have SVT.

My calories are 1200 per day so decreasing them anymore isn't an option.

Any info or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thanks !!
    Since the weight loss have you consulted your cardiologist? Your heart may have improved due it. But from my professional encountering with this (I worked in a Wellness Center where there were several people who suffered from it) we always collaborated with cardiologists to keep patients safe.
    One thing that we do encourage with patients is isometric exercise and stretching because of breathing maneuvers. A sample of isometric training would be like to take your hands, push your palms together as hard as you can for 15-20 seconds while breathing normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Are you able to perform weight training?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I know someone mentioned yoga, but I do DDP yoga. My instructor has a heart condition and has to wear a heart rate monitor and be careful when she's teaching, but she's lost over 40 pounds doing DDP yoga and clean eating.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is tough, and I commend you for not giving up! I'd guess in your case it is just a matter of it being a very slow process :/
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Try the Ketogenic diet.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    lifting doesn't raise the heart rate too much
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You're kidding right?
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

whaaaat?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    laurenummy wrote: »
    Hello!

Height : 5'3

I started my weight loss journey in January. Started at 175lbs, got down to 138lbs. Goal is 120lbs.

Due to having a heart problem called SVT (Superventricular Tachycardia) I can't exercise much due to my heart rate going into overdrive with no brakes lol.

This last 20lbs I have left to lose is proving to be very difficult and I know exercise would have been the answer if I didn't have SVT.

My calories are 1200 per day so decreasing them anymore isn't an option.

Any info or similar experiences would be helpful.

Thanks !!

I have SVT too. I just had an ablation for AVNRT. Do you take beta blockers? that should help your hr. I have been able to exercise even with the SVT because I take meds, but now I can't because of the ablation, as it takes three months to heal from it.
  • foreverfitforeverstrong60
    Options
    What about a lower intensity workout? Yoga or Pilates can be very rewarding and at your own pace can be challenging or just right for you....