P90X 1 round & Body Beast 1 round

jrompola
jrompola Posts: 153 Member
One of my buddies on here asked why I did not post a success story since I've had such an amazing transformation in 6 months of time. The answer to that is I'm not a big fan of these forums because you have people bashing others because they think working out at home is dumb, or crossfit is dumb, or the gym sucks. My idea of being healthy is moving your body 5-6 times per week and weighing/measuring your food. It doesn't matter what workout program you are doing. Obviously some are better than others and I have my opinion on that too, but if you only walk I'm not going to say what's wrong with you, but if you are expecting to gain muscle only by walking there may be something wrong with you :)

I've posted these pictures on beachbody's p90x photo gallery, bodybuilding.com, facebook beachbody groups, and a few other sites. I've held off on this one, but I figure if these pictures can inspire at least 1 person I'm big enough to take the criticism and hopefully help someone out. When I 1st set off on my journey Dec 10th, 2012 I looked all over the internet for inspirations. I looked at youtube, beachbody.com, MFP, bodybuilding.com and seeing everyones transformations was one of the reasons I did not give up. I thought to myself if those people can do it I certainly can and I did and I'm going to keep going.

So now to some of my stats and the workouts I did. I'm 5'9 and I started on Dec 10th 2012 at 220lbs. I planned on doing P90X and mixing in some Insanity on cardio days. I also ran once or twice a week usually just once on the rest day. Now at 1st this was brutal....I had not worked out in at least 4 years. The workouts were very challenging and I was very sore. I knew what to expect because I've seen so many others transform and I've watched the infomercial more times than I can count. I've also started and stopped P90X at least 10 times over the past 4 years usually only making it 2 weeks. Something was different this time and I knew I had to stick it out because 220lbs was the heaviest I've ever been.

I also changed my diet drastically and I was eating between 1700-2000 calories a day and I was weighing/measuring all my food. Before I would just work out and "try" to eat healthy, but who knew since I didn't weigh or measure anything I was eating. If you want to see what I ate feel free to go back on my calendar and look at dec 10th 2012 thru March 2013. It should be open. I can account for every calories I consumed for 90 days minus 1 day which was Christmas. I didn't eat awful that day, but I didn't track anything.

I completed the 1st month of p90x and my weight dropped from 220 to 203-205 or so. I was almost below 200lbs where I had not been in quite some time. At the end of the 2nd month I weighed 190-193lbs and was starting to feel really good and actually felt like I could do all the moves. At the end of month 3 I weighed in at 178lbs for a 42lb weight loss in my 1st round of p90x. I didn't have abs, but my stomach was flat.

Now that I finished P90X I had all the energy in the world and I wanted to conquer body beast next. I did Body Beast Huge schedule, but didn't really follow the body beast nutrition guide as I was not trying to gain size. I was trying to get more definition and abs!! In the 80 some days it takes to complete Body Beast I went from 178lbs down to 168lbs.

Below is my starting picture which was taken in San Diego in November 2012...wish I would have taken a better one, but like I said I was not sure I'd stick it out.
9135248151_6c8c9cd641_z.jpg

Below is a picture with some before pictures and after pictures of p90x
8568874705_1b603e8fca_z.jpg

Below is my after picture for Body Beast with some additional after pictures
9127633023_19443c1699_z.jpg
9127633651_43fc1eae9f_z.jpg
9127634231_f6b28b0139_z.jpg
8893978078_79a1de5fcb.jpg

Replies

• delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    Great job. I'm loosely doing p90x now after completing Insanity. I gotta get on that Body Beast next.
  • jrompola
    Great job. I'm loosely doing p90x now after completing Insanity. I gotta get on that Body Beast next.

Yeah dude..Its killer. P90X is an introduction to fitness. Once you complete P90X the fitness world kinda opens up and you look for your next challenge whether its doing p90x again and crushing your numbers from the 1st round or body beast which is more traditional weight lifting, but its super fast paced. You can even take a look at the body beast sheets to track your reps if you are interested in seeing what some of the moves are. I think you can find them on beachbody's site.

I've said this numerous times I could never do a full 60 days of insanity. Insanity is awesome and extremely hard, but I like using at as cardio in a lifting program. For those that do the full 60 days of insanity congrats to you because it puts P90X cardio to shame.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    <
    you've inspired 1 person to keep going. thanks!

awesome transformation, congrats.
  • jrompola
    <
    you've inspired 1 person to keep going. thanks!

awesome transformation, congrats.

Keep at it!! I know its so cliche, but if I can do it anyone can.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    That's a great transformation! I use P90X along with some other odds and ends routines at the moment and will continue to until I can my own home gym free weights. Even then I'll still use it from time to time to change things up. It's great to see that people can make great progress using a variety of methods. Well done. Your dedication netted you some well earned and amazing results.
  • jrompola
    That's a great transformation! I use P90X along with some other odds and ends routines at the moment and will continue to until I can my own home gym free weights. Even then I'll still use it from time to time to change things up. It's great to see that people can make great progress using a variety of methods. Well done. Your dedication netted you some well earned and amazing results.

Thanks...craigslist is great for setting up a home gym. I bought all my equipment on there. Olympic bench for $125 with olympic bar, 3 ez curl bars, and 310lbs of weights. Power tower for $20. Ab Bench for $30. Bowflex selectech dumbbells 10-90lbs for $275. You can still buy fitness gear brand new, but so many people buy that stuff and never use it.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Awesome job! Your story and mine are nearly identical. Like you, I spent a few months searching different sites looking for motivating stories before deciding what I wanted to try. I went with P90X and after two rounds of never missing a P90X resistance workout, tracking everything I ate, consistently hitting all of my macros, doing my own cardio on the non-resistance days, and I lost 51 pounds in just over 6 months (225 to 179). I spent the next six months trying to add muscle without gaining back the fat. While I made some progress, it wasn't until I started following the Warrior Diet protocols and Leangains did I start seeing real results. I'm not advocating this way of eating for everyone, but it sure worked for me and I enjoy following the program. I'm doing a hybrid of P90X Classic, Body Beast, TRX and free weights -- it keeps my body guessing and it seems to be working for me. I haven't posted a current photo in awhile, but I've now got a legit 4 pack and I'm hoping to bring it home by the end of this calendar year. At nearly 50 years old, I've learned it takes awhile to change body composition. But I look and feel better now at 49 than I did at 29 -- no question about it. Plus my cholestorol is 159, my blood pressure is 105/65 and all of my other "numbers" are in the healthy range.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along my congratulations on a job well done! Keep it up....
  • jrompola
    Awesome job! Your story and mine are nearly identical. Like you, I spent a few months searching different sites looking for motivating stories before deciding what I wanted to try. I went with P90X and after two rounds of never missing a P90X resistance workout, tracking everything I ate, consistently hitting all of my macros, doing my own cardio on the non-resistance days, and I lost 51 pounds in just over 6 months (225 to 179). I spent the next six months trying to add muscle without gaining back the fat. While I made some progress, it wasn't until I started following the Warrior Diet protocols and Leangains did I start seeing real results. I'm not advocating this way of eating for everyone, but it sure worked for me and I enjoy following the program. I'm doing a hybrid of P90X Classic, Body Beast, TRX and free weights -- it keeps my body guessing and it seems to be working for me. I haven't posted a current photo in awhile, but I've now got a legit 4 pack and I'm hoping to bring it home by the end of this calendar year. At nearly 50 years old, I've learned it takes awhile to change body composition. But I look and feel better now at 49 than I did at 29 -- no question about it. Plus my cholestorol is 159, my blood pressure is 105/65 and all of my other "numbers" are in the healthy range.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along my congratulations on a job well done! Keep it up....

Thanks man. I know exactly how you feel. I just want to shake some people and say do this with me!! I don't know what any of my cholesterol or BP #'s are or were, but my last checkup I was fine. I know in a few years there would have been a good chance for diabetes and other easily avoidable diseases. That was my #1 reason for working out. I wanted to be healthy in my 50s and beyond. I didn't want to have to depend on others and I'm headed in a good direction now.

Congrats to you and keep doing what you're doing because it works. I don't know if I would have had the dedication if I was 20 years older...that is awesome and I'm sure some people will be inspired by you!!
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    I love your story! I'm currently finishing my first round of p90x, I love it.
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    So awesome! I'm on day 58 of P90X and your story and pics are a huge motivator! Thanks for sharing.
  • jrompola
    I love your story! I'm currently finishing my first round of p90x, I love it.

Thanks for the kind words. What are you planning on next? Are you doing it with your husband? My wife just started working out with me this past Saturday. She was in much better starting shape than me, so I'm expecting some great things.
  • jrompola
    So awesome! I'm on day 58 of P90X and your story and pics are a huge motivator! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats to you on getting to day 58 with all those injuries and things you had to deal with in the past. I'm sure you've heard this, but the last month is when the big changes happen because you are so much stronger and typically can do more moves.

1 big thing I forgot to mention was when I started my fitness journey back in Dec 2012 I had a pilonidal cyst if anyone knows what that is...lets just say it hurt doing ab ripper X. After finishing P90X and dropping all that weight the pilonidal cyst healed and closed and I knew dropping the weight would fix it, but I tried numerous surgeries in the past which did nothing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    I've done at least five rOunds of insanity and at least two rounds of both asylums. P90x kicks my *kitten* more then any of them. I must b the only guy that finds it harder then insanity. I will say the insanity cardio is more difficult then the p90x cardio tho. Insanity Just seems to get done faster. Which is all very weird because ive always lifted weights and I used to fear cardio. I was a lineman in highschool
    Also don't get how you guys eat less then 2000 cals and Don't starve to death. I'm only 5'8" and 2100-2400 worked good for me. I did 1800 on asylum 2 and it was hell on wheels lol
  • jrompola
    I've done at least five rOunds of insanity and at least two rounds of both asylums. P90x kicks my *kitten* more then any of them. I must b the only guy that finds it harder then insanity. I will say the insanity cardio is more difficult then the p90x cardio tho. Insanity Just seems to get done faster. Which is all very weird because ive always lifted weights and I used to fear cardio. I was a lineman in highschool
    Also don't get how you guys eat less then 2000 cals and Don't starve to death. I'm only 5'8" and 2100-2400 worked good for me. I did 1800 on asylum 2 and it was hell on wheels lol

I was a lineman in midgets if that counts!! I played baseball & basketball.

I think it depends on what you eat. I'm eating around 2800-3100 calories a day now, but I'm just trying to maintain weight. I imagine the amount of calories you ate would have worked for me too, but it may have taken a month or 2 longer. I was one of those people who would drink 3 sodas a day, eat chips, skip breakfast, 2 servings of dinner...you get the idea. Eating 5-6 small meals a day with high fiber foods kept me feeling full at all times to the point where I had to force myself to eat sometimes. That changed after a few weeks when my body adapted to the new way of eating.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    My bad lol. My text my have been a bit against the spirit of the thread. I agree that it doesn't matter that much what exercise youdo... especially if the goal is burning fat. Its by far more important (and more difficult if you ask me) controlling what you eat
  • Kurls4Daze
    Kurls4Daze Posts: 125 Member
    AWESOME JOB NEVER HEARD OF BODY BEAST I WILL BE CHECKING THAT OUT GOOD WORK!:smile:
  • jrompola
    AWESOME JOB NEVER HEARD OF BODY BEAST I WILL BE CHECKING THAT OUT GOOD WORK!:smile:

Yeah definitely check out the worksheets online before considering purchasing the program. You need some more equipment than Insanity or P90X. You can get away with a stability ball, but in my opinion a bench works better. You can find the same workout plans online, but I like the dvds because it helps me keep pace and I don't have to think too much about what is next. I used to lift in the past years ago, but until I nailed the nutrition I was just big & bulky with not a lot of definition.
  • daveymac1
    daveymac1 Posts: 784 Member
    I so want to start body beast, since I am "beast" mode!! But can't start till mid August, and I am on vacation in Paris for 2 weeks. I don't want to start, and have to start again. It looks insane! Just how I like it!
  • jrompola
    I so want to start body beast, since I am "beast" mode!! But can't start till mid August, and I am on vacation in Paris for 2 weeks. I don't want to start, and have to start again. It looks insane! Just how I like it!

I was just in Alaska for 2 weeks. Never thought it'd be 90+ in Alaska and people seeking out the shade. I did a cruise for 7 days and other hotels I stayed in had gyms, so I was able to get my workouts in. I actually lost weight on vacation(1st time I ever did that) since I was working out and walking 2-5 miles a day.

I started again on Saturday with my wife this time.

Thats quite the disgusting toe you have...thanks for posting that picture!!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    I am just finishing up TurboFire and am starting my first round of P90X next week. I have looked at body beast a bit and think I may try it after. I really would like to build some muscle after this last bit of fat is gone. Your results are incredible!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!