Help! I DON'T like water :(

Options
Hi there,
I'm trying to lose weight for quite some time but I didn't really had the motivation and I've just been to a christening and seeing the photos really got me motivated. I don't eat much usually and I try to keep my kcal on a max of 1500 a day. But my biggest problem and I think that the reason I don't lose any weight and the main reason I'm overweight is because I drink little or no water .. Like I drink just when I'm VERY thirsty, and even then I don't drink more than 100 ml. :( I drink around 500-750 ml a day which is very bad but I can't drink water if I'm not thirsty, it just doesn't work. I don't know if anyone understands my struggle. I really like tea , for example. I have at home green tea with lemon which is caffeine free, but I don't think it is a good water replacement. Any advice would be great. Thank you :*

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Calorie free drinks exist. I almost never have plain water - I'll go for a diet soda (I make my own) or I like Mio water enhancers - basically a way to make a calorie free drink one glass at a time.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You may find many people tell you it isn't the 'holy grail' for weight loss. Quite a few people drink little water and lose weight without issue.
    I like water, I have those MIO flavour additives for variety. Sipping a bit at a time may help also, not necessary to drink a glass at at time.
    In all honestly I do not drink a lot of water either. I eat a lot of fruit, drink a lot of coffee, have the odd diet pop..Im not thirsty often.
  • RoSiulia
    RoSiulia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Calorie free drinks exist. I almost never have plain water - I'll go for a diet soda (I make my own) or I like Mio water enhancers - basically a way to make a calorie free drink one glass at a time.

I don't like sodas like diet coke or those things. I just don't like water, do you use any flavourings for your drinks? If yes do you have any recommendations? Thanks x
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drink plain water to stay hydrated. Drink more tea if you like it.

But really doubt the reason you are overweight is not drinking enough water - much more likely to be because you ate too much food.
  • RoSiulia
    Options
    Thank you for all the answers I will try the MIO flavourings and see how it goes :)
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Perhaps a straw? I don't understand your struggle its true, water is life to me, I drink a large cup like 16 oz first thing each day, then throughout the day. Perhaps trying herbal teas, you can make a gallon and chill it. Those water enhancers I guess are an option. I have a morning smoothie which is kefir and fruit, both are smoothied into hydrating liquid if not straight water. I drink a veggie smoothie for lunch. The key is hydration, not necessarily straight water, fruits, veggies, milk. Caffeine dehydrates so be aware of how much of that you're taking in.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Buy flavored water, or make your own by adding fresh fruit/herbs to it and letting it seep for a few hours. Seltzer/carbonated water is another option. You can also buy those low-calorie artifical sweeteners, like Crystal-Light.

• RoSiulia
    Options
    Thank you o:)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    You are not overweight because you dont drink enough water. It is not essential for weight loss though it can help you to feel full. I like water but dont drink it. I like to drink assam tea. The only thing you need is a calorie defecit.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Not drinking water, or drinking very little long term (including of course other liquids not just water) will affect negatively your health, not your weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You don't have to drink plain water to stay hydrated. Drink more tea if you like it.

But really doubt the reason you are overweight is not drinking enough water - much more likely to be because you ate too much food.

Yup
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I only drink water to take my thyroid medicine in the morning. Other than that my fluid intake comes from coffee, tea and what's in the veggies and fruits I eat. That's the way I've been doing things for about five decades. I seem to be doing just fine.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I couldn't drink plain water when I started, so I used things like MIO or the flavor packets and just started slowly increasing my intake. Now I drink plain water and a ton of it. Granted, it needs to be cold for whatever reason, I still hate room temperature water.

As far as drinking more water to help with weight loss...Not really. It helped me stop drinking full calorie soda like I was constantly, and it does help me figure out if I'm really hungry or if I'm just bored because I'll drink a bottle of water before eating if I feel hungry outside of normal eating times for me. But it hasn't had really any sway on anything more substantial than that.
  • RoSiulia
    Options
    Ah yah I drink water in the morning when I take my thyroid medicine as well
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It has already been said that pure water is not necessary to keep yourself hydrated, but you do want to drink 1.5 to 2 litres of liquid a day. Alcohol does not count for hydration, and while sodas, whether diet or calorie containing, do, they are not good for you from a health standpoint.

I struggled with this from a different angle as a great deal of my weight gain came from drinking 2 to 3 litres of Coke a day and thought water tasted foul. If you can make it 14 to 21 days of drinking water alone, I found the taste changed for me and from that point I have enjoyed drinking water.

Also are you sure your intake is 1500 or less a day? Have you kept a strict diary for at least 7 days, including measuring butter and sauces and other small additions? A lot of calories hide in tiny places and sometimes a week or two of meticulous monitoring is needed to uncover them and understand why weight loss has stalled.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't like water either. I do drink bottled after I have been on my treadmill and sometimes before a meal, but I'll add a bit of lemon juice and splenda to it just to give it flavor. I drink a lot of tea.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I always have Crystal light or Nesfruta in my water. I also drink tea. I don't usually have just plain water.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    VisofSer wrote: »
    It has already been said that pure water is not necessary to keep yourself hydrated, but you do want to drink 1.5 to 2 litres of liquid a day. Alcohol does not count for hydration, and while sodas, whether diet or calorie containing, do, they are not good for you from a health standpoint.

Something being not good for you doesn't equal it being bad for you. We really don't need to force ourselves to drink extra fluid. We get fluid in the form of everything we eat and drink.

nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html?_r=1

• ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe squeeze a little lemon into it. Or lime or cucumber, or whatever you like. It'll add a little flavor but no calories to speak of.