Priobiotics

Options

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    OP - I just queried your discussion history. It seems that you have been struggling with weight loss since at least 2013. I've noticed a common theme in your posts - you ask a question and then dismiss the answers people have given you. It obviously isn't working. If you really want to lose the weight it has to be a lifestyle change. It is not going to be easy, and it may be frustrating, but the end results are worth it. Take some time and soberly consider you weight loss goals. Where do you want to be in five years? Do you want to be 26, happy, healthy living your life or do you want to be five years older, miserable, struggling with the same weight complaining that "nothing works", and you're always going to be over weight? Which version would you prefer? Being slender isn't about luck. Thin people don't just happen, it's physics. They burn more calories than they consume. There is no miracle weight loss solution that doesn't require you to put forth the effort, if there were, nobody would be over weight. The only solution that unequivocally works, and has been scientifically proven to work is CICO. The sooner you accept the reality of the situation the sooner you can be proactive and take steps to achieve the life you want.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    OP - I just queried your discussion history. It seems that you have been struggling with weight loss since at least 2013. I've noticed a common theme in your posts - you ask a question and then dismiss the answers people have given you. It obviously isn't working. If you really want to lose the weight it has to be a lifestyle change. It is not going to be easy, and it may be frustrating, but the end results are worth it. Take some time and soberly consider you weight loss goals. Where do you want to be in five years? Do you want to be 26, happy, healthy living your life or do you want to be five years older, miserable, struggling with the same weight complaining that "nothing works", and you're always going to be over weight? Which version would you prefer? Being slender isn't about luck. Thin people don't just happen, it's physics. They burn more calories than they consume. There is no miracle weight loss solution that doesn't require you to put forth the effort, if there were, nobody would be over weight. The only solution that unequivocally works, and has been scientifically proven to work is CICO. The sooner you accept the reality of the situation the sooner you can be proactive and take steps to achieve the life you want.

It's true. Up until this year, I was looking for all the reasons why I was overweight and dismissing CICO because I was convinced I was eating at a deficit and still not loosing. Even went to the doc and spent $1000 on tests that all showed I was completely normal. Finally buckled down and started logging everything and being brutally honest and I've lost 25 pounds so far. I looked into the obesity-gut connection and the set point theory and how it's the chemicals in our food and it's the special supplements we should be taking for weight loss. None of it worked. Counting calories and being brutally honest with myself is what worked. Now I'm on the other side of it wishing I hadn't spent all that money.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Why some people want to argue over something so simple..CICO will always be king for weight loss. Probiotics or not. Rediculous!!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Emberrise wrote: »
    Did priobiotics work for you?

I recently discovered that microbes in the gut could play a large role in obesity. They have found that those who are slim have more kinds of microbes in their gut that they believe relates to how the body controls the metabolism. I.e we all know that person who can eat 2,900 cal a day and still be itty bitty and someone who eats 1,800 cal, and is large.

I am thinking of trying pill supplements. I already know about portion control, nutrition yada yada... I am still overweight by a lot.

Any experience with this?

Probiotics are for digestive health, not for weight loss. Nothing aids in weight loss except for eating less than you burn.

Your comparison is too general, because that person who eats a lot and is slimmer is burning those calories through movement and may have a lot of muscle from working out. The person who eats lower calories and gains may be sedentary and not move much. There are other factors that come into play, but the bottom line for weight loss is a calorie deficit.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    I think the OP either had enough of the truth or got a life away from the boards for the rest of the day. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    A life away from MFP :worried: Surely you jest :tongue:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    GreenKay wrote: »
    I started using a probiotic / enzyme combo (12 listed on the bottle ) along with some other suppliments when I started a low-ish carb plan, all doctor prescribed. I've lost weight, but I'm sure that's the diet, not the probiotics.
    But I've always had constipation issues, more so when doing low carb, but not this time. For this reason. I am a fan. Look for one with a variety of bacteria and enzymes. You will probably have better luck buying on-line. I guess I am not supposed to say I like Primal Defense, eh?

You're free to mention products but not pimp products you'd benefit from financially:

14. No Advertising, Self-Promotion, or Fund-Raising

a) You may not post any links or mentions of other services, websites, or businesses from which you or an associate might benefit financially or otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to; posts that contain links to offsite blog posts and social media. You also may not solicit off-Forum contact from which you might benefit, e.g. "message me for more info", “I can get you free samples”, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I agree that probiotics would be beneficial for the majority of people. I've been taking them for YEARS, both when I was overweight, and slim. So in my situation, they did not help me to lose weight.

The one and only thing that got me where I am now is not over eating.

And the proof that they are beneficial?

Oh please don't take me down that road :wink: Any link I provide will be counteracted by another one, and on It will go.
    Given the over use of antibiotics and peoples dismal diet these days, they surely aren't going to hurt. Our gut has a delicate balance, I like to keep the odds on my side and not have the bad bacteria over run the good.

One example would be, every single time I took antibiotics I got a yeast infection. However once I started taking probiotics alongside them, and obviously before and after, zero yeast infections. For me, they are worth taking just for that beneficial side effect.

I too used to get yeast infections when taking antibiotics. Sitting around in a wet bathing suit is another risk factor. I've been taking priobiotics daily for years and while I no longer get yeast infections, priobiotics have done nothing for my weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I agree that probiotics would be beneficial for the majority of people. I've been taking them for YEARS, both when I was overweight, and slim. So in my situation, they did not help me to lose weight.

The one and only thing that got me where I am now is not over eating.

And the proof that they are beneficial?

Oh please don't take me down that road :wink: Any link I provide will be counteracted by another one, and on It will go.
    Given the over use of antibiotics and peoples dismal diet these days, they surely aren't going to hurt. Our gut has a delicate balance, I like to keep the odds on my side and not have the bad bacteria over run the good.

One example would be, every single time I took antibiotics I got a yeast infection. However once I started taking probiotics alongside them, and obviously before and after, zero yeast infections. For me, they are worth taking just for that beneficial side effect.

For the immune system a decent, non food probiotic like acidophilus, particularly post antibiotics is, IMHO a good idea

For weight loss ...or as a regular dietary aid I am unconvinced
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    They are amazing at what they are designed to do, for sure. Unfortunately not helpful in weight loss from my experience. My doc recommended them for frequent stomach problems, diarrhea, and constipation. They have done miracles for all of that. But weight loss has been unchanged by them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26474235

CONCLUSION:

In both humans and animals there are characteristic changes in the gut microbiota associated with obesity. In animals but not in humans altering the microbiota can result in weight loss and weight gain which does not occur in humans. This suggests that in humans the changes in gut microbiota are an association with rather than the cause of obesity.

People who want to believe in (and peddle) woo often have no concept whatsoever of correlation vs. causation. As exemplified perfectly in this thread.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hope you are still following this thread. I'm not concerned about other people and how much they eat or don't eat right now. Your questions is about probiotics. I have researched this area extensively due to major intestinal issues two years ago. Here's what I do... I take a multi-strain probiotic, 18 strains to be exact, every day! Don't waste your money on Acidolphilus! It takes more than just one strain to balance out your gut. I also take two other strains that are specific to the type of bacteria infection I had which put me in the hospital four times! If you want particulars on brands, cost, etc, PM me and I'll be glad to share. I do know that since maintaining this regime, my acid reflux, GERD, irritable bowel and other intestinal symptoms have gone away! Ill give you the particulars via PM.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Why by PM?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Why by PM?

I imagine it has something to do with what @kshama2001 posted. Community Guidelines and the like.... :/
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I recently discovered that microbes in the gut could play a large role in obesity. They have found that those who are slim have more kinds of microbes in their gut that they believe relates to how the body controls the metabolism. I.e we all know that person who can eat 2,900 cal a day and still be itty bitty and someone who eats 1,800 cal, and is large.

I am thinking of trying pill supplements. I already know about portion control, nutrition yada yada... I am still overweight by a lot.

You are in denial. Eat less.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Interestingly .. because this thread has made me interested in gut flora for my child's stomach pains ... I've started looking for the scientific studies

And so far, the info I've scanned has said that multi-strain probiotics need care and testing to ensure that they remain live to point of ingestion ... so far, but I might be mistaken, there is no proof that that can be acheived in multi-strains of more than 6 strains which I found interesting (but not conclusive) @mlboyer100

if I find more and good links I will post
  • mlboyer100
    Options
    You are correct in your research, but I know of no way to test to see how many of the strains are still alive when you get them. I read somewhere a while back that a good rule-of-thumb is to assume that only about half survive alive when you get them. Refrigeration helps to keep it from deteriorating more. Don't know if that's true, but I keep mine in the fridge now after opening. Due to contracting severe c-Diff intestinal infections which put me in the hospital four times, my GI Dr said to take multi-strains of probiotics for a minimum of two years, and not take any antibiotics for the same period of time. Unfortunately, Antibiotics kill your good gut flora and well as the bad. I just know that my whole intestinal health has never been better then it is now. If you find anything contrary to this, please PM me the links so I can research it too!
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I take culturelle probiotics for about 3 weeks because I took antibiotics before. Makes my belly feels great and eating at a deficit so much easier than before. Works for me.
  • mlboyer100
    Options
    Why by PM?

I prefer using FB Messenger over this old message board system. It handles longer messages better plus you can save, copy, print, and find them later, and MFP's PM keeps information private. Anway, I take two especially for the C-Diff infections I had, Saccharomyces Boulardii and a new strain, Bacillus Coagulans. The rest are the most common probiotics found in the gut. The infection I had put me in the hospital four times until it was controlled, with probiotics, however being on powerful antibiotics for over a year destroyed my immune system. These strains gave me my gut health back. All I know is that when I slow down taking them, my intestines don't like it!

Are you interested to remain healthy or to fight off infection? As for children, you should check with a Pediatrician first.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options

What I have learned from first being married to a very thin man who "ate all the time" ans now being in a relationship with a very thin guy who "eats all the time" is that some people are predispositioned to put down the food when they are no longer hungry, and some of use have to fight the urge to eat the whole damn cake just because it is sitting there. My guy can sit down with a bag of chips and naturally eat one serving ans think, hmm I'm done. I do the same thing and think, if one serving tasted delicious then 3 will really hit the spot! So in his mind he does eat all the time and never gains a pound, because when he is in the mood for something he eats it (a very sensible portion) and I think, I'm so careful with what I eat because I'm constantly thinking how I want to eat more. I assure you though, at the end of the day he has eaten a lot less than me.