Priobiotics

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Emberrise wrote: »
    Morgan I've done everything you mentioned, and I don't need to because IT IS common knowledge. I wonder if you've been sheltered your entire life or something. Also no, calorie is not the same thing as another calorie. A calorie of coke does something totally different than a calorie from a carrot. That is also a myth that divides health community. So no, some of your information is wrong and errored due to you assuming it is common knowledge and not providing links and examples :) THO if you were, I could easily dispute it, with MY links and examples. *Rolls Eyes @*.

A calorie is simply a way to measure energy. A calorie of soda and a calorie of carrot are the same thing.

The NUTRITION in the two may not be the same, I think that is what you are talking about.

I do wish all this stuff was common sense, but countless posts here demonstrating about what a calorie is or how our body uses energy have shown me that they aren't. And to be honest, I didn't know all this all my life either. I used to think that a calorie from soda was different than a calorie from carrots. There's no shame in admitting that we still have stuff in life to learn. Most of us who carry or have carried extra weight also have tended to fall for a lot of myths about weight loss in our attempts to deal with it. We also tend to gravitate towards theories promoted by people who tell us that a pill or potion may fix it.

I think this thread is a unique and beautiful example of that fact that CICO, health, and true weight loss efficacy are NOT in fact, common knowledge
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Morgan I've done everything you mentioned, and I don't need to because IT IS common knowledge. I wonder if you've been sheltered your entire life or something. Also no, calorie is not the same thing as another calorie. A calorie of coke does something totally different than a calorie from a carrot. That is also a myth that divides health community. So no, some of your information is wrong and errored due to you assuming it is common knowledge and not providing links and examples :) THO if you were, I could easily dispute it, with MY links and examples. *Rolls Eyes @*.

A calorie is simply a way to measure energy. A calorie of soda and a calorie of carrot are the same thing.

The NUTRITION in the two may not be the same, I think that is what you are talking about.

I do wish all this stuff was common sense, but countless posts here demonstrating about what a calorie is or how our body uses energy have shown me that they aren't. And to be honest, I didn't know all this all my life either. I used to think that a calorie from soda was different than a calorie from carrots. There's no shame in admitting that we still have stuff in life to learn. Most of us who carry or have carried extra weight also have tended to fall for a lot of myths about weight loss in our attempts to deal with it. We also tend to gravitate towards theories promoted by people who tell us that a pill or potion may fix it.

I think this thread is a unique and beautiful example of that fact that CICO, health, and true weight loss efficacy are NOT in fact, common knowledge

+1 +1 +1... This this and all of this!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    After almost 10 years of ulcerative colitis and proctitis (currently in remission), I have discovered that at least 80% of our health starts in the gut which means daily probiotics is important. When you drink a ton of sodas, eat lots of sugar, eat artificial sweeteners and basically anything that is processed, your gut flora gets depleted. Prolonged absence of essential bacteria in the gut can lead to many health issues - not all them gut-related. Long-term medications can also cause harm to the gut.

This is purely anecdotal evidence here: my hubby is on permanent disability due to injuries from the navy. Everything in his neck is fused and he has permanent nerve damage. He has been on a variety of medications for years and the dentist discovered that some of those medications depleted his gut bacteria which in turn created an unhealthy environment in his mouth - bleeding, receding gums, tooth infections and a major loss in enamel. He also had high cholesterol and the doc wanted him to take statins. I started him on low dose probiotics at first and slowly increased it. He is now taking what I take - two doses a day of probiotics with 32 strains of bacteria at half a billion count per dose. We also added fermented foods. Guess what? Within 6 months, the bleeding, receding gums resolved themselves, his tooth enamel is much stronger and he is no longer in danger of losing any more teeth due to infection. His cholesterol level is normal now. The ONLY thing that changed in his life was the probiotics. His diet and everything else was the same.

I do not feel that probiotics helps in losing weight or affects metabolism. What it does is, paired with a good diet, improves your health so that you can make strides in your diet and exercise game which, in turn, boosts your opportunities to lose weight. To me, probiotics is a catalyst ...
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Coffee it is not a tantrum hahaha, I don't have to back up something that is common knowledge, thanks.

I get that you *think* this is common knowledge. But it is wrong. There are not people who eat more than they burn but lose weight and/or stay slim. Just continually claiming it's common knowledge doesn't further your argument or idea.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I agree that probiotics would be beneficial for the majority of people. I've been taking them for YEARS, both when I was overweight, and slim. So in my situation, they did not help me to lose weight.

The one and only thing that got me where I am now is not over eating.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    After almost 10 years of ulcerative colitis and proctitis (currently in remission), I have discovered that at least 80% of our health starts in the gut which means daily probiotics is important. When you drink a ton of sodas, eat lots of sugar, eat artificial sweeteners and basically anything that is processed, your gut flora gets depleted. Prolonged absence of essential bacteria in the gut can lead to many health issues - not all them gut-related. Long-term medications can also cause harm to the gut.

This is purely anecdotal evidence here: my hubby is on permanent disability due to injuries from the navy. Everything in his neck is fused and he has permanent nerve damage. He has been on a variety of medications for years and the dentist discovered that some of those medications depleted his gut bacteria which in turn created an unhealthy environment in his mouth - bleeding, receding gums, tooth infections and a major loss in enamel. He also had high cholesterol and the doc wanted him to take statins. I started him on low dose probiotics at first and slowly increased it. He is now taking what I take - two doses a day of probiotics with 32 strains of bacteria at half a billion count per dose. We also added fermented foods. Guess what? Within 6 months, the bleeding, receding gums resolved themselves, his tooth enamel is much stronger and he is no longer in danger of losing any more teeth due to infection. His cholesterol level is normal now. The ONLY thing that changed in his life was the probiotics. His diet and everything else was the same.

I do not feel that probiotics helps in losing weight or affects metabolism. What it does is, paired with a good diet, improves your health so that you can make strides in your diet and exercise game which, in turn, boosts your opportunities to lose weight. To me, probiotics is a catalyst ...

Great example, while anecdotal, of how on the individual level, we should never shun any idea (that is safe and healthy, as probiotics usually are, not like VLCDs) as it may result in great results for the individual. For me, getting over my sugar intake and ignoring it lets me drink coffee. The result of banning myself from coffee is I QUIT. So clearly a mild overabundance of sugar is the right path for me, while for others increasing sugar intake would be horrible and detrimental.

The important take away is that neither of these things (sugar intake, probiotics) have anything to do with the very simple equation of CICO. They may have side-line, indirect, non-causative influences on an individual person's weight loss journey or health in general. And that's the extent of it. People are different individually, math is math period: there's some common knowledge.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I agree that probiotics would be beneficial for the majority of people. I've been taking them for YEARS, both when I was overweight, and slim. So in my situation, they did not help me to lose weight.

And the proof that they are beneficial?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Myself is an example of it, and also almost everyone knows someone who eats well above the calorie intake daily and is slim as can be. If you do not know of it I feel like that is just denying for the sake of arguing... because it is impossible without seeing it on t.v (in documentaries) even Jennifer Lawrence for example would be evidence for. She often claims she never diets, and eats a lot of food (It is one of her favourite parts of her day) and remains slim. It's pretty common...
    Human physiology is pretty consistent from person to person when it comes to weight loss/weight gain/weight maintenance. Barring any health issues, a calorie surplus will cause weight gain, a calorie deficit weight loss, and calorie equaling calories burned weight maintenance.
    People who don't gain weight eating lots of high calorie foods are obviously burning them off. Those that don't will gain weight.
    There's really no disputing that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Oh please don't take me down that road :wink: Any link I provide will be counteracted by another one, and on It will go.
    Given the over use of antibiotics and peoples dismal diet these days, they surely aren't going to hurt. Our gut has a delicate balance, I like to keep the odds on my side and not have the bad bacteria over run the good.

One example would be, every single time I took antibiotics I got a yeast infection. However once I started taking probiotics alongside them, and obviously before and after, zero yeast infections. For me, they are worth taking just for that beneficial side effect.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Oh please don't take me down that road :wink: Any link I provide will be counteracted by another one, and on It will go.
    Given the over use of antibiotics and peoples dismal diet these days, they surely aren't going to hurt. Our gut has a delicate balance, I like to keep the odds on my side and not have the bad bacteria over run the good.

One example would be, every single time I took antibiotics I got a yeast infection. However once I started taking probiotics alongside them, and obviously before and after, zero yeast infections. For me, they are worth taking just for that beneficial side effect.

Yup, I have one of those stories too. I was on antibiotics and not taking probiotics (I didn't know I'd have a problem) and ended up with said C. diff.

My last bout of antibiotics, I was taking 3 different ones and all is good.

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    No... it didn't screw her motabolism up in that way, she was eating healthy and walking 4 hrs a day and was overweight. Plus she comes from a background of farming and eating right portions and still being heavier...those unfamiliar with farming, it is gruelling all day affair every day. So there's no reason with her diet and lifestyle that she was overweight at a young age especially when she speaks of what she ate being normal. I..e 1 egg, vedgies, and a glass of milk for breakfast for example.

It sounds like she has a thyroid condition. Those can be serious and should be treated. There are perception medications for people with hypothyroidism that will help loose the extra weight. It is a simple blood test to be diagnosed. She should see a doctor to be screened for that. It also runs in families so you too should have your doctor check your thyroid.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I like probiotics. I drink Kefir nearly every day. At least in my experience, it has helped my digestion along, keeping me regular and well-formed if you get my drift. As I began eating less, I had more problems with my digestion and regularity. Kefir really seems to help.

But as for weight loss, the Kefir does not contribute at all. All that did the trick for weight loss was a noted absence of food.

I'm going to link this every time I hear another "common" claim.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/resources/136/Ive-got-nothing-to-lose_web.pdf
  • Christine_72
    Options
    oohhh That's another thing I forgot about... Regularity :lol:
    I can definitely feel the difference in a negative way if I stop taking them for a couple of weeks :confounded:
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OP, MFP and other calorie logging apps are based entirely on CICO. Coming into a forum for those using CICO, and succeeding with it, and saying "CICO doesn't work! Please validate my wishful thinking that yogurt/kefir will make me thin!" Isn't going to get you too far. That should be common knowledge ;)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed probiotics for digestive issues which have disappeared since taking them. They have been amazing for my tummy troubles but have done nothing for my weight. They are intended to help digestion, not make you lose weight.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Well "prescribed" as in the doc told me to take them and which brand she recommended...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    Well "prescribed" as in the doc told me to take them and which brand she recommended...

It's cool that counts. You may not be prescribed weight loss either, but "my doctor says so" is the ultimate ace in the "no really, I promise I'm not anorexic" pocket;)
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

It's cool that counts. You may not be prescribed weight loss either, but "my doctor says so" is the ultimate ace in the "no really, I promise I'm not anorexic" pocket;)
    Lol I will remember that and use it as needed.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/46/Supplement_2/S96.long

This is a great article talking about the benefits of taking a probiotic. Does NOT mention weight, however.
  • GreenKay
    GreenKay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started using a probiotic / enzyme combo (12 listed on the bottle ) along with some other suppliments when I started a low-ish carb plan, all doctor prescribed. I've lost weight, but I'm sure that's the diet, not the probiotics.
    But I've always had constipation issues, more so when doing low carb, but not this time. For this reason. I am a fan. Look for one with a variety of bacteria and enzymes. You will probably have better luck buying on-line. I guess I am not supposed to say I like Primal Defense, eh?