Priobiotics

Options
1235»

Replies

• xmissbehaved23x
    xmissbehaved23x Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a connection between gut flora and obesity. I am a grad student studying microbiology and my research is on this topic. Results depend on the type of probiotic you take. Activia, for example, does not contain a strain of bacteria that naturally occurs in our bodies. It's actually Bifidobacterium Animalis which was renamed Bifidus Regularis and is taken from animal feces. Once you stop eating the yogurt, the bacteria is eliminated and your digestive issues come back. It's a pretty genius way to make money since people will go back to eating it once they stop due to problems returning, but it does nothing for you in the long run. The type of probiotic you take is essential to seeing results.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What strains would you recommend @xmissbehaved23x ?
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a connection between gut flora and obesity. I am a grad student studying microbiology and my research is on this topic. Results depend on the type of probiotic you take. Activia, for example, does not contain a strain of bacteria that naturally occurs in our bodies. It's actually Bifidobacterium Animalis which was renamed Bifidus Regularis and is taken from animal feces. Once you stop eating the yogurt, the bacteria is eliminated and your digestive issues come back. It's a pretty genius way to make money since people will go back to eating it once they stop due to problems returning, but it does nothing for you in the long run. The type of probiotic you take is essential to seeing results.

That is very interesting! I am alsointerested in knowing which strains are for the human gut.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know someone like that my wife lol she eats bigmacs and fries all the time she actually eats whatever the hell she wants and is 115 pounds and that's after giving birth to my 3 beautiful children! But the thing is her body has a high motabalisim and the thing is if u were to look at her eating habits from the outside u would think man she us consuming 3000 plus calories easy but she doesn't she never finishes the bigmac and fries she hardly ever finishes the junk food she eats she has an amazing ability to know when to stop eating. Also the thing to add is just because she maintains her amazing figure with eating all the junk doesn't mean she is necessarily healthy.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Deleted my comment because:
    1. Old thread.
    2. OP disappeared, and was living in fantasyland anyway.
    3. Shouldn't have bothered.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This was entertaining. And to think I only clicked on this b/c I was wondering what a "Priobiotic" was :p
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This was entertaining. And to think I only clicked on this b/c I was wondering what a "Priobiotic" was :p

Lol same
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »

Lol same

Great minds!! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    I was prescribed probiotics for digestive issues which have disappeared since taking them. They have been amazing for my tummy troubles but have done nothing for my weight. They are intended to help digestion, not make you lose weight.
    Same here--my doctor also strongly recommended that I take probitoics to help with my digestive issues/acid reflux, and the really helped. As for weight loss-they do not help at all.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The gut microflora is a very important part of our digestion. However, the probiotics on the market now are all very similar and contain mostly Lactic Acid Bacteria, the same bacteria can be found in fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, etc. The real hurdle to them making an impact on you health is that your normal flora is very resistant to change unless you do something dramatic (harsh antibiotics, radiation, etc.) So in order to keep a probiotic in your system you need to keep taking it. If you want some really interesting reading you should look into fecal transplants for patients who suffered C. difficile infection and treatment, just fascinating stuff.

I have been looking into this for over three years. I think there is a connection. the problem is that the scientists haven't figured it out yet. If they did, they would be instant billionaires. They are working on it though. Give them a few more years. And yes, there are some studies that show that if your balance of good and bad flora gets out-of-whack, you'll become obese or you can eat 1000 more (than is needed) calories a day ~ and if you have the correct gut flora, you won't gain weight...

Here is a good starter article you can read:

http://authoritynutrition.com/probiotics-101/

The above site has a more elaborate page on this, but I think you have to be a subscriber (I am).

If you (soapsandropes) want to talk further, send me an IM.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 15 months on diet
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Well Meaning Diet Advice Given to You ~ That is Just Plain Wrong!
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    The gut microflora is a very important part of our digestion. However, the probiotics on the market now are all very similar and contain mostly Lactic Acid Bacteria, the same bacteria can be found in fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, etc. The real hurdle to them making an impact on you health is that your normal flora is very resistant to change unless you do something dramatic (harsh antibiotics, radiation, etc.) So in order to keep a probiotic in your system you need to keep taking it. If you want some really interesting reading you should look into fecal transplants for patients who suffered C. difficile infection and treatment, just fascinating stuff.

I have been looking into this for over three years. I think there is a connection. the problem is that the scientists haven't figured it out yet. If they did, they would be instant billionaires. They are working on it though. Give them a few more years. And yes, there are some studies that show that if your balance of good and bad flora gets out-of-whack, you'll become obese or you can eat 1000 more (than is needed) calories a day ~ and if you have the correct gut flora, you won't gain weight...

The above site has a more elaborate page on this, but I think you have to be a subscriber (I am).

I hope this helps,
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

Mmmmmkay, does that mean WHILE we give them a few more years we continue to go ahead and lose weight the only way science does support? (CICO)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to identify a weight loss effect from pro or prebiotics. If there is one it's a small signal compared to the noise.

I am still taking them to see if there is a benefit to my insulin resistance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mlboyer100 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why by PM?

I prefer using FB Messenger over this old message board system. It handles longer messages better plus you can save, copy, print, and find them later, and MFP's PM keeps information private. Anway, I take two especially for the C-Diff infections I had, Saccharomyces Boulardii and a new strain, Bacillus Coagulans. The rest are the most common probiotics found in the gut. The infection I had put me in the hospital four times until it was controlled, with probiotics, however being on powerful antibiotics for over a year destroyed my immune system. These strains gave me my gut health back. All I know is that when I slow down taking them, my intestines don't like it!

Are you interested to remain healthy or to fight off infection? As for children, you should check with a Pediatrician first.

My son is under a Paediatric Gastroenterologist but thanks.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

I hope this helps,
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs

Interesting article, and a non-subscriber(me) was able to use the link. Food choices included, yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, and a few more. I wonder if bacon(for the acids) or pork in a traditional pork and sauerkraut meal have some added benefit? Either way it is an interesting link. Thanks for sharing.
  • Emberrise
    Emberrise Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP - I just queried your discussion history. It seems that you have been struggling with weight loss since at least 2013. I've noticed a common theme in your posts - you ask a question and then dismiss the answers people have given you. It obviously isn't working. If you really want to lose the weight it has to be a lifestyle change. It is not going to be easy, and it may be frustrating, but the end results are worth it. Take some time and soberly consider you weight loss goals. Where do you want to be in five years? Do you want to be 26, happy, healthy living your life or do you want to be five years older, miserable, struggling with the same weight complaining that "nothing works", and you're always going to be over weight? Which version would you prefer? Being slender isn't about luck. Thin people don't just happen, it's physics. They burn more calories than they consume. There is no miracle weight loss solution that doesn't require you to put forth the effort, if there were, nobody would be over weight. The only solution that unequivocally works, and has been scientifically proven to work is CICO. The sooner you accept the reality of the situation the sooner you can be proactive and take steps to achieve the life you want.

Actually I dismiss it because it is false for me. I.e. I have been working out Jillian Michael's 30 day shred for a month now. I have only lost 3 lbs, and been watching my diet to a T. I could talk my head off and no one listens. It is frustrating to hear the ignorance over and over.. that maybe I have something different that's causing my obesity. And no I have been big my whole life, not since 2013. That's only when I joined this site to start. I have successfully lost almost 30lbs, thanks to magnesium supplements, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with my diet or exercise. It is frustrating to tell people how much I eat (I list it out, i.e. yesterday for breakfast was 2 eggs and 1 slice of toast) which is a typical meal for me. Like it is just crazy and I'm sorry i I get angry but it is like how much can I take of people in general, telling me I am a liar and lazy when I am working my butt off and been trying my whole life and know people who stuff their faces and are slim. I was even talking to a class mate yesterday... how she even admitted that she eats a ton and cannot gain weight, my own professor is the same way.... yet I am a lot heavier and eat within the 1,500 - 1,800 cal a day. And no matter how much I type, the person on the other end reading this almost always remains in the same mindset that I am obviously still overeating/not doing enough. That is why I dismiss it because it is not helping, at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have been taking probiotics for years. I was taking them when I became overweight, and years before that when I was slim. So in my experience, they don't help with weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Emberrise wrote: »
    OP - I just queried your discussion history. It seems that you have been struggling with weight loss since at least 2013. I've noticed a common theme in your posts - you ask a question and then dismiss the answers people have given you. It obviously isn't working. If you really want to lose the weight it has to be a lifestyle change. It is not going to be easy, and it may be frustrating, but the end results are worth it. Take some time and soberly consider you weight loss goals. Where do you want to be in five years? Do you want to be 26, happy, healthy living your life or do you want to be five years older, miserable, struggling with the same weight complaining that "nothing works", and you're always going to be over weight? Which version would you prefer? Being slender isn't about luck. Thin people don't just happen, it's physics. They burn more calories than they consume. There is no miracle weight loss solution that doesn't require you to put forth the effort, if there were, nobody would be over weight. The only solution that unequivocally works, and has been scientifically proven to work is CICO. The sooner you accept the reality of the situation the sooner you can be proactive and take steps to achieve the life you want.

Actually I dismiss it because it is false for me. I.e. I have been working out Jillian Michael's 30 day shred for a month now. I have only lost 3 lbs, and been watching my diet to a T. I could talk my head off and no one listens. It is frustrating to hear the ignorance over and over.. that maybe I have something different that's causing my obesity. And no I have been big my whole life, not since 2013. That's only when I joined this site to start. I have successfully lost almost 30lbs, thanks to magnesium supplements, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with my diet or exercise. It is frustrating to tell people how much I eat (I list it out, i.e. yesterday for breakfast was 2 eggs and 1 slice of toast) which is a typical meal for me. Like it is just crazy and I'm sorry i I get angry but it is like how much can I take of people in general, telling me I am a liar and lazy when I am working my butt off and been trying my whole life and know people who stuff their faces and are slim. I was even talking to a class mate yesterday... how she even admitted that she eats a ton and cannot gain weight, my own professor is the same way.... yet I am a lot heavier and eat within the 1,500 - 1,800 cal a day. And no matter how much I type, the person on the other end reading this almost always remains in the same mindset that I am obviously still overeating/not doing enough. That is why I dismiss it because it is not helping, at all.

I am sorry you are so frustrated

We all empathise, you are not the only one who has ever felt stuck

In the absence of any medical condition it is actually not different for you than anyone else, even though you feel it is and is unfair

Read this: http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-most-important-thing-you-can-do-to-lose-weight/

Watch the linked video
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Emberrise wrote: »

Sorry you are frustrated. However, why ask weight loss questions on this site if you are just going to be combative and dismissive to what people respond with? A lot of the advice people have told you is correct, and has been backed by science. There is not a magic weight loss aide. Until you acknowledge and accept the science of weightloss, you will not reach your weightloss goal. I am going to disengage from this thread as you have stated you are not going to accept what people have to say and you do not accept the science of weight loss. It's a waste of my time and everyone else's time. As you are young, please consider going to university as you would benefit from an education, not just for a career but so you can gain a basic understanding of how things work. I suspect you get very frustrated from life in general, and I think getting an education could alleviate a lot of your frustrations.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I actually have heard this before, however I don't believe the logic is around eating 2900 kcal vs 1800 kcal. What latest nutrition research is looking in to is the satiety linked to "happy guy bacteria" i.e. if our gut bacteria is well fed (with probiotics) then we have decreased secretion of certain hunger hormones.

Certainly something that I am looking forward to seeing continued research in! So much around food we don't know. As for now, I would still recommend a healthy, well balanced diet (we all know there isn't an easy out)

As for the probiotics- stick to eating yogurt and save your money on the supplements!