what is good protein for vegetarians? (with little carbs)

Options
2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For protein/carbohydrate ratio, seitan is one of the best plant foods out there. You can also try tofu and tempeh.

Nailed it, seitan is pretty much pure protein, but if you are eating healthy you shouldn't have too much trouble with lack of protein

Yet people do need to recognize that seitan is just gluten - wheat gluten. I have no problem with that, but many people do these days.

As an ovo-lacto veg, I don't have much problem getting 75+ grams of protein daily, but that does come with (often) 175-250g carbs (I don't care - and those are gross carbs, not net, BTW).

Rather than focus on giant protein contributors (though I do eat some, but that's the easy part), I try to eat so that almost every caloric food contributes at least some protein (and many of the less caloric ones). It's amazing how a gram or two or five add up over the day, from sources like broccoli, a tablespoon of seeds on a salad, etc. These are low quality proteins, usually (in terms of their amino acid complement), but because they're varied, they balance out to some extent.

Who failed to recognize that seitan is wheat gluten?

I understand that a small number of people have a gluten allergy or intolerance, but gluten is perfectly appropriate for everyone else.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Who failed to recognize that seitan is wheat gluten?

I understand that a small number of people have a gluten allergy or intolerance, but gluten is perfectly appropriate for everyone else.

Didn't mean to sound accusatory, or to imply that anyone had posted to the contrary on this thread. I've found that veggie-newbies sometimes don't realize that seitan is gluten by another name, so I mentioned that in case anyone like that was reading this thread . . . just being chatty-like, y'know?

I personally absolutely agree with you: There's nothing wrong with it, for people who have no allergy or intolerance. It's a good protein source. I eat it myself occasionally, and would do so more often if I liked it better taste/texture-wise.