Am I weighing this wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    In Canada ice cream only comes in ML on the package. Which makes it a pain.

OP, find an equivalent somewhere.. what brand is it? Most ice creams serving size is 65-70g for 1/2 cup. Gelato is often 100g.
    JTick wrote: »
    Ice cream is technically a liquid. Just weigh it in grams and ignore the ml.

LOL no it's not. And 1 gram = 1 ml only when you are working with water - other liquids have a different specific gravity.

OP: How many servings are supposed to be in the container? I would weigh the entire container, divide by the numbers of servings, and use that gram weight for each serving. It's going to be a bit off, but it will be good enough to finish off the container, and then I personally would just not buy that brand again.

That wouldn't really help though because most ice cream containers don't have the right amount of servings in them... they can be off by up to 1 serving, in my experience.

But yeah... 1ml of ice cream definitely doesn't weigh 1g.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

OP, find an equivalent somewhere.. what brand is it? Most ice creams serving size is 65-70g for 1/2 cup. Gelato is often 100g.

LOL no it's not. And 1 gram = 1 ml only when you are working with water - other liquids have a different specific gravity.

OP: How many servings are supposed to be in the container? I would weigh the entire container, divide by the numbers of servings, and use that gram weight for each serving. It's going to be a bit off, but it will be good enough to finish off the container, and then I personally would just not buy that brand again.

That wouldn't really help though because most ice cream containers don't have the right amount of servings in them... they can be off by up to 1 serving, in my experience.

Or, 0 your scale with a large bowl on it, put in all the ice cream and see how much the total weighs. If it is a 900ml container 900ml= X grams, so each time you dish up a serving you can weigh it and use that % of cals/macros.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought weighing ice cream would be such a difficult thing to do! Lol. I actually ended up going onto Breyer's U.S. website and looked up the nutritional info there. They don't have the exact same flavor listed, but I figure their chocolate should be close enough for density, and they list 1/2 cup at 67 grams. So that's what I'll go with.

Thanks to everyone for the help :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Or, 0 your scale with a large bowl on it, put in all the ice cream and see how much the total weighs. If it is a 900ml container 900ml= X grams, so each time you dish up a serving you can weigh it and use that % of cals/macros.

... it's the same thing. Whether you weigh the ice cream in the container or not, it still won't have the same amount of servings that's what's written on the box, because packaged food almost never does.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

... it's the same thing. Whether you weigh the ice cream in the container or not, it still won't have the same amount of servings that's what's written on the box, because packaged food almost never does.

What I am saying is that if the full thing weighs 500 grams when you weight it and you take 75 grams you would be eating 15% (75/500) of the total container. So if 150 ml = X cals an the package is 900 mls then your package has 16.67 servince (take the service size info times it by 16.67 and you took 1/15th of that so divide the numbers by 15 to get the macros and cals of the amount you ate.

Just use algebra to solve
  • Francl27
    Options

What I am saying is that if the full thing weighs 500 grams when you weight it and you take 75 grams you would be eating 15% (75/500) of the total container. So if 150 ml = X cals an the package is 900 mls then your package has 16.67 servince (take the service size info times it by 16.67 and you took 1/15th of that so divide the numbers by 15 to get the macros and cals of the amount you ate.

Yes but no, because you don't know how many serving sizes there REALLY are. That's what I've been trying to explain... Like soup says there are 2 servings in a can, but usually it's less. So you can't do accurate math if you're missing some information.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    izerop wrote: »
    I don't mean to troll or start a flame war here but... water is water... frozen/liquid/gas. It is not liquid when it is frozen... same rule applies to... all the elements in the universe.

The real question at hand... is yogurt a liquid or a solid? :trollface:

Don't even get us started on Jell-O
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yes but no, because you don't know how many serving sizes there REALLY are. That's what I've been trying to explain... Like soup says there are 2 servings in a can, but usually it's less. So you can't do accurate math if you're missing some information.

But if there is supposed to be 10 servings in it and there is really 11, that's not going to be a huge amount of extra calories.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I second the idea of weighing the whole batch of product and math out the numbers from there. Algebra is awesome for this!

The number of servings per container will be close enough to work out a reasonable grams per serving conversion.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

That's what I'd do.