The Quorn Should be Outlawed.

Options

Replies

• scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just had Quorn mince this evening and it states in the allergy warning on the back of the packet that mycoprotein is a member of the fungi/mould family. I'm in the UK. Is the wording different in the US? Since the law suit is claiming it didn't state mould on the packaging.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    42firm03 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There may be a distinct marketing difference ..quorn has been available here since mid 90s ..it's well know. And available in all supermarkets

Middle aged American here. I shop and cook a lot. I wonder if it's new or newish here.
    I've never heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue what mycoprotein is till you guys talked about.
    Seems It should have an allergen statement on it.

Young American here, and I agree, I have only heard of this because my sister in law went vegan and likes it when we all go to vegan/vegetarian restaurants together (she's desperately trying to convert us). That one time in that one place was the only time I have ever even heard of it, I don't shop at whole foods, cause $$$$$$$$ so I have never encountered it in the package.

I just want to point out to your sister in law that Quorn is not a vegan food.

It was something I was considering at a vegan SLASH vegetarian restaurant. I think she knew. She doesn't approve of meat substitutes, as well as animal products in general.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Yeah, y'all go back and read my photo comment.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There may be a distinct marketing difference ..quorn has been available here since mid 90s ..it's well know. And available in all supermarkets

Middle aged American here. I shop and cook a lot. I wonder if it's new or newish here.
    I've never heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue what mycoprotein is till you guys talked about.

Young American here, and I agree, I have only heard of this because my sister in law went vegan and likes it when we all go to vegan/vegetarian restaurants together (she's desperately trying to convert us). That one time in that one place was the only time I have ever even heard of it, I don't shop at whole foods, cause $$$$$$$$ so I have never encountered it in the package.

It was something I was considering at a vegan SLASH vegetarian restaurant. I think she knew. She also doesn't approve of meat substitutes.

Just wanted to say since one of the ingredients are eggs. I obviously don't care what your sister chooses to do, since it's her life, but it might be an emotionally negative experience if she were thinking she was doing well on a vegan diet only to discover she'd been consuming eggs on a regular basis.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The list of ingredients is there for a reason. I'm allergic to egg whites and celery. Celery is not one of the "big 8" so allergy warnings are not common. Instead of pushing for banning celery I simply, you know, read the ingredients.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

It was something I was considering at a vegan SLASH vegetarian restaurant. I think she knew. She doesn't approve of meat substitutes, as well as animal products in general.

My only issue with meat substitutes is that actual meat tastes much better. I'd be okay with this stuff if they'd be up front about the potential allergic reaction in large print. Something like the Surgeon General warning on cigarette packages.
  • DaddieCat
    edited November 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

My only issue with meat substitutes is that actual meat tastes much better. I'd be okay with this stuff if they'd be up front about the potential allergic reaction in large print. Something like the Surgeon General warning on cigarette packages.

So, again, do you think this Surgeon General's warning should be on peanut butter? Shellfish? All other allergens?

I haven't really weighed in on this issue which is heartbreakingly sad, but the company has labeled everything correctly including the statements that Mycoprotein is from the fungi family and bolded it on the ingredient label as an allergen.

*edited to fix a typo

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    when I see 'chicken style' on the package, that pretty much tells me that this is not chicken. Especially when I've always only seen Quorn in the vegetarian/organic/specialty sections in the store and not the meat section.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

I find it odd that they didn't look into it

Do you think that the onus is solely on the consumer or do you think that companies have a duty to be transparent in their labeling of products?

Incidentally the complaint outlines that the child's mother did check the label but was unaware that it contained mould given how it is worded.

If this was peanuts these guys would have been arrested already. Yeah, companies have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to list this stuff, not just a moral responsibility. Somebody's baby died for godssakes...

The problem with your argument is it was labeled. They just didn't realise that the name they were reading was a fungi.
    The onus to label it was fullfiled but a lack of knowledge led to this tragic death. Should it be dumbed down to prevent this happening again. I'd say yes. However you should educate yourself so you always know what you and your child is eating
    I know in the UK allergens now have to be bolded on labels, so it'd be interesting to know if it's bolded.

The ingredients listing listed "mycoprotein". I'm just saying, if something is labeled as having "quiche" in it, we would still requires the company to list "contains eggs*" at the bottom. We ask them to list "this product was manufactured in a facility that also manufactures products containing soy, eggs, gluten, etc*". I dunno why we let a company say "mycoprotein" and not list "*contains fungus" under the ingredients list like literally every other product out there is required to do. I had NEVER seen that word before in my life. I googled it, so yay me, but how hard is it to just put a little asterisk and the word "fungus" which the general non-vegan population actually are familiar with?

I feel like the parents weren't careful enough, but this company wasn't careful enough at best, and they were negligent/purposefully manipulative at best. I mean it's a quarter inch of ink.... sounds to me like they didn't want people to hear the word fungus.

Because fungus isn't a common allergy. People are allergic to LOTS of things, but there are only a handful of common allergens. Those are the ones that are targeted with labeling laws.

Right now, if a person has an uncommon allergy, the onus is on them to educate themselves about the forms their allergen could appear on labels as.

My daughter had issues with corn when she was little. With that not being a common allergen, we were on our own.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

So, again, do you think this Surgeon General's warning should be on peanut butter? Shellfish? All other allergens?

I haven't really weighed in on this issue which is heartbreakingly sad, but the company has labeled everything correctly including the statements that Mycoprotein is from the fungi family and bolded it on the ingredient label as an allergen.

*edited to fix a typo

Why not. It's more deadly than cigarettes if you're allergic to it. Mostly I just think that shaping a food into the shape of a food it is not and marketing it as a food it is not should be labeled. If someone made chicken looking peanut butter patties and had them depicted as grilled chicken on the front I think that should be declared.

If this food was sold as it really was and not as pretend meat then it would require no warning.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

*edited to fix a typo

Why not. It's more deadly than cigarettes if you're allergic to it. Mostly I just think that shaping a food into the shape of a food it is not and marketing it as a food it is not should be labeled. If someone made chicken looking peanut butter patties and had them depicted as grilled chicken on the front I think that should be declared.

If this food was sold as it really was and not as pretend meat then it would require no warning.

But several screenshots of the packaging have shown that there is a warning. Can be specific what kind of warning it is you'd like to see?

Consumers looking at the package can tell that that this is not meat, that is involves fungus, and that some people have reported an allergic reaction. If people really think, like you related, that they are buying beef when they purchase this product, what do you suggest to make them read what is already on the package?

It seems like you're upset with this product because it is faux meat and this has less to do with the ingredient. Are you saying that if this was a can of soup made with mycoprotein and it had the same disclosures and warning language on it, you'd be fine with it because it wasn't faux meat?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    There's also the risk that packaging becomes so wordy as to not help anyone!

As a consumer you have a responsibility to yourself, if you know you have allergies then perhaps avoid products with unfamiliar ingredients until you know more? We can't be spoon fed absolutely everything and then sue because we're incapable of a little self education.

^This, to the bolded. A lot of ingredients in food products are sources of potential allergens for a subset of the population. If manufacturers were to be required to list them all, the entire ingredient list would end up being redundant in some cases.

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

*edited to fix a typo

You're are aware it's not sold as meat. Not marketed as meat. Not kept with meat. Not labeled as meat. It does not say on the box it's meat. It is in fact marketed and sold amongst the vegetarian products. It is even labeled with what it is. So unless you just looked at the picture you'd know. So even with a large warning like you proprose they'd still have missed what it was.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

It was something I was considering at a vegan SLASH vegetarian restaurant. I think she knew. She also doesn't approve of meat substitutes.

Just wanted to say since one of the ingredients are eggs. I obviously don't care what your sister chooses to do, since it's her life, but it might be an emotionally negative experience if she were thinking she was doing well on a vegan diet only to discover she'd been consuming eggs on a regular basis.

I'm sure she'd get over it, but thanks:) You probably spared me a rant on the evils of the meat farming industry complete with photos *shudder* (buy local grass fed free range y'all)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    People who have severely anaphylactic children simply don't take chances with unknown ingredients IME

Do you think that the onus is solely on the consumer or do you think that companies have a duty to be transparent in their labeling of products?

Incidentally the complaint outlines that the child's mother did check the label but was unaware that it contained mould given how it is worded.

If this was peanuts these guys would have been arrested already. Yeah, companies have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to list this stuff, not just a moral responsibility. Somebody's baby died for godssakes...

The problem with your argument is it was labeled. They just didn't realise that the name they were reading was a fungi.
    The onus to label it was fullfiled but a lack of knowledge led to this tragic death. Should it be dumbed down to prevent this happening again. I'd say yes. However you should educate yourself so you always know what you and your child is eating
    I know in the UK allergens now have to be bolded on labels, so it'd be interesting to know if it's bolded.

The ingredients listing listed "mycoprotein". I'm just saying, if something is labeled as having "quiche" in it, we would still requires the company to list "contains eggs*" at the bottom. We ask them to list "this product was manufactured in a facility that also manufactures products containing soy, eggs, gluten, etc*". I dunno why we let a company say "mycoprotein" and not list "*contains fungus" under the ingredients list like literally every other product out there is required to do. I had NEVER seen that word before in my life. I googled it, so yay me, but how hard is it to just put a little asterisk and the word "fungus" which the general non-vegan population actually are familiar with?

I feel like the parents weren't careful enough, but this company wasn't careful enough at best, and they were negligent/purposefully manipulative at best. I mean it's a quarter inch of ink.... sounds to me like they didn't want people to hear the word fungus.

Because fungus isn't a common allergy. People are allergic to LOTS of things, but there are only a handful of common allergens. Those are the ones that are targeted with labeling laws.

Right now, if a person has an uncommon allergy, the onus is on them to educate themselves about the forms their allergen could appear on labels as.

My daughter had issues with corn when she was little. With that not being a common allergen, we were on our own.

I really like your new photo:) We've been over this. Check out my photo comment, I believe it's page 2
  • DaddieCat
    Options

I'm sure she'd get over it, but thanks:) You probably spared me a rant on the evils of the meat farming industry complete with photos *shudder* (buy local grass fed free range y'all)

Those rants suck. I'm a vegan and even I find them tiresome. I tend to not get along with "those" vegans. It's a lifestyle choice, not a religion... and we don't need to prosthelytize... just let people do their own thing. No one thing is right for all, or even most.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Mine too!! She's of the opinion that even trying to mimic meat taste is morally objectionable because reasons.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I really like your new photo:) We've been over this. Check out my photo comment, I believe it's page 2

I must have misread or something. I swear I have the attention span of a 2 year old sometimes.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Those rants suck. I'm a vegan and even I find them tiresome. I tend to not get along with "those" vegans. It's a lifestyle choice, not a religion... and we don't need to prosthelytize... just let people do their own thing. No one thing is right for all, or even most.

I'm with you. I feel the same way about omnivores who feel the need to tell vegans all about vitamin B12 and whatnot. Leave other people alone jeez. Like, you think any rational vegan didn't research this? They know, let them eat Seitan and chillax. Ideally (and for the sake of avoiding derail) they are also educated enough to READ THE PACKAGE
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

I must have misread or something. I swear I have the attention span of a 2 year old sometimes.

Nah you're good, yours are some of my favorite posts. They make me feel like a 2 year old sometimes (like a 2 year old with rich parents on christmas morning ha ha!)