Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    xosarahduh wrote: »
    Ok so my problem here isn't taste, but texture. Most of the textures literally make me gag. So it's more like hiding that texture so that I can consume them.

I understand. Please see my recommendation if it's a texture thing. Each of those preparations makes different textures.

Another suggestion, do you like things like tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches? Tomatoes aren't the only things that puree into a delicious soup.

One of my favorite ways to get veggies: carrot pudding. It's an indian restaurant thing.

Recipe me?!?

• kshama2001
    Options
    Ok so my problem here isn't taste, but texture. Most of the textures literally make me gag. So it's more like hiding that texture so that I can consume them.

Puree them and make soup?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Until you've tried most veggies in 3-5 different ways, it's hard for me to believe you don't like any of them. Certainly, poorly cooked veggies are gross. Canned, soggy veggies can go die in a fire. And you may never "crave" vegetables. That's ok. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as an adult. I don't like gyno appointments or mammograms. I like death and cancer even less.

Do you like potatoes? If so, try roasting root vegetables like rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, turnips. Yes, they sound disgusting, they're probably not going to make you vomit as long as you like potatoes. Cube them in .75" cubes or approximate shape, toss them in olive oil, put as much garlic powder, salt and pepper as you want on them. Roast them in 15 minute increments until they smell like a restaurant and have some brown parts and a fork can enter them easily (but not so cooked that they get smooshy). -- Still don't like them? Top them with cheese and toast them some more. Do you like pizza without cheese? I bet not. Put some cheese on other things, they typically are more palatable.

Do you like spaghetti? Make spiralized vegetables from zucchini (or rutabaga or sweet potato), and add them to the last 3 minutes boiling the pasta. Top with your spaghetti sauce. You probably won't really notice them.

Have you tried raw crunchy veggies in dips? I don't personally like a lot of cooked vegetables for the most part. Many of them I like more raw. Dips I like are peanut butter, cheese whiz, cesar dressing, blue cheese dressing. Raw vegetables to try are slices of green/red pepper, celery, (baby) carrots, cauliflower, snap peas, cucumber, button mushrooms.

Basically until you have tried the above, you simply cannot claim you don't like vegetables. Yes, you aren't going to like all of these. But some of them will be tolerable. For now, eat the ones you find relatively tolerable. After a while, try some of them again. You might like them more.

I LOVE roasted root vegetables and get an assortment of colors from the farm stand - white potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, carrots etc.

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to try this roasted cauliflower recipe tonight: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_cauliflower/
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I understand. Please see my recommendation if it's a texture thing. Each of those preparations makes different textures.

Another suggestion, do you like things like tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches? Tomatoes aren't the only things that puree into a delicious soup.

One of my favorite ways to get veggies: carrot pudding. It's an indian restaurant thing.

Recipe me?!?

Essentially this. Or just search "Gajar Halva recipe". Obviously using some lower calorie sugar substitute and some skim milk reduces the calories. Or go full fat and full sugar and revel in the decadence.
    27cd2a30d49b995b9baeb2bf0c1e0ea8.jpg
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Im a picky eater, I don't eat fruit, except melons, I will eat a few veggies, but not many, and they have to be cooked or prepared how I like, I don't do casseroles. I won't eat, any dark meat, meat on a bone, nor seafood of any sort except tuna salad, but it has to be white chunk albacore, and I have to make it, I won't eat spinach or other leafy greens ( kale, etc) except most lettuces, any type of fungus, or milk product that isn't milk or certain cheeses, I don't do yogurt of any nationality, or type, not even mixed with something. It's tough being picky, but I manage, I did however recently discover, I do kinda like avocado in guacamole, if I can control the ingredients. I still don't like it plain. You just have to figure out what you like and work from there.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Essentially this. Or just search "Gajar Halva recipe". Obviously using some lower calorie sugar substitute and some skim milk reduces the calories. Or go full fat and full sugar and revel in the decadence.

Oh, goodness. I just watch that episode last night. Killing me.
  • rstrobridge10
    rstrobridge10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating veggies into healthy muffins, like my favorite zucchini muffins! And if you have texture issues, try grating veggies into your meals. What are things you do like and what are textures you just can't handle, to get a better idea?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options

So do things like mashing them.

I don't like the texture of eggs ... so I mash them. OK, it's kind of unusual, but it works for me.

Same with avocado. The texture is disgusting and the flavour isn't all that great either, but mash the avocado and add spices and you've got something good. :)

• kshama2001
    Options

Recipe me?!?

Now I wish I'd picked up that two pound bag of carrots Tuesday!

Looks great, thanks!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Until you've tried most veggies in 3-5 different ways, it's hard for me to believe you don't like any of them. Certainly, poorly cooked veggies are gross. Canned, soggy veggies can go die in a fire. And you may never "crave" vegetables. That's ok. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like as an adult. I don't like gyno appointments or mammograms. I like death and cancer even less.

Do you like potatoes? If so, try roasting root vegetables like rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, turnips. Yes, they sound disgusting, they're probably not going to make you vomit as long as you like potatoes. Cube them in .75" cubes or approximate shape, toss them in olive oil, put as much garlic powder, salt and pepper as you want on them. Roast them in 15 minute increments until they smell like a restaurant and have some brown parts and a fork can enter them easily (but not so cooked that they get smooshy). -- Still don't like them? Top them with cheese and toast them some more. Do you like pizza without cheese? I bet not. Put some cheese on other things, they typically are more palatable.

Do you like spaghetti? Make spiralized vegetables from zucchini (or rutabaga or sweet potato), and add them to the last 3 minutes boiling the pasta. Top with your spaghetti sauce. You probably won't really notice them.

Have you tried raw crunchy veggies in dips? I don't personally like a lot of cooked vegetables for the most part. Many of them I like more raw. Dips I like are peanut butter, cheese whiz, cesar dressing, blue cheese dressing. Raw vegetables to try are slices of green/red pepper, celery, (baby) carrots, cauliflower, snap peas, cucumber, button mushrooms.

Basically until you have tried the above, you simply cannot claim you don't like vegetables. Yes, you aren't going to like all of these. But some of them will be tolerable. For now, eat the ones you find relatively tolerable. After a while, try some of them again. You might like them more.

I LOVE roasted root vegetables and get an assortment of colors from the farm stand - white potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, turnips, carrots etc.

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to try this roasted cauliflower recipe tonight: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roasted_cauliflower/

My fiance, who doesn't like cauliflower, says this was not something he'd crave but the best he'd ever had. (I didn't make it for him, but for his mom and me.) I told him he didn't have to have any, and was surprised when he took some, and then took more, and then a little more.

I started out with 688 grams of raw cauliflower (about a half head) and ended up with 440 - so it really shrinks down in the oven. I used 1 T and 1 t of oil and next time will use more.