It's only "Natural" and the FDA wants your opinion!

Options
anewstart22
anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
And they are going to get mine.

This is the thing for me. All that carageenan added to foods and for what reason? It's being added to chicken in the bag, whole raw chicken or the 10 pound bags of legs and thighs, etc. There is no need for it and I had to stop eating foods that contained carageenan because it was part of the problem I was having with my digestive system. That stuff is in everything and what it isn't in, costs more to purchase. I discovered it when I started researching the ingredients on the labels even when the label said "natural", and I discovered I wasn't the only one having problems. Now that I try very hard to keep it out of the house, I am doing far better and my stomach thanks me for it with a whole lot less pain, inflammation and bloating. I had problems with medications causing many problems with my stomach, and by stopping them completely I was far better. However, I could not get the final problems to go away until I removed carageenan from my diet.

So, the FDA wants our opinion on what the "Natural" label means to us. To me, it means it's truly natural just the way it was grown, without antibiotics, added fillers or anything else that wouldn't be natural to the food, be it produce, dairy or animal of any kind. I buy uncured bacon because I don't want the nitrates and the nitrites, if the label doesn't say that both are excluded in the product label I won't buy it. There are so many things in dairy that have carageenan, you would be amazed at that. Here is a link regarding carageenan.

Dr. Wiel MD

drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401181/Is-Carrageenan-Safe.html

Of course this company makes a lot of money by marketing carageenan for meat products.
marcelcarrageenan.com/meat.html

I bought a big 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters about a year or so back and couldn't figure out why my stomach was hurting me after eating some. I had frozen the rest and when I cooked it, I had the same problem but my husband was fine. Well the brand is country post and carageenan is not listed on the ingredient list at all. Even though it is required to be there on the label. I know it has carageenan, because I called the company directly, right from the grocery store just a couple of weeks ago, and I was told carageenan was an ingredient. I was calling them asking if there was any MSG in the product, but was surprised to hear the carageeen. I asked the man on the phone very point blank. "What does carageenan have to do with raw meat?" "Why would you put that in raw meat?, it's raw meat by golly".

I told him I wouldn't be buying his company's meat because the last time I bought it something hurt my stomach and that is why I was calling, I wanted to understand their not so clear label, now I know what that is. I told him I would be spreading the word every time I am in the store and someone picks up their chicken that isn't properly labeled. We as consumers can make an informed decision on the foods we put into our mouths, if foods are properly labeled and all the unnecessary junk is taken out of it. I informed him I wanted my input to go to the top and I think he was stunned, I thanked him for his time and said goodbye.

I buy Central Market brand uncured bacon, it's not cheap at $5.97 for 12 ounces but when it goes on sale or there is a store coupon I will buy a couple of them to toss in the freezer, I was able to get two for $3.97 each a couple of weeks ago because it was on sale for $4.97 and I had two in-store coupons for $1 off of each package. I don't use much bacon in cooking anyway.

centralmarket.com/departments.aspx#/goods/meat

Product Description

Any way you slice it, our Central Market Bacon is a cut above. It’s made from hogs that are socially raised and given a 100% vegetarian diet. There are never any added hormones or antibiotics added to our bacon, so all you get is 100% pork that’s 100% delicious.

No Nitrates or Nitrites, except for the naturally occurring nitrates in sea salt and celery powder, gluten and casein free.

Pork, Water, Sea Salt, Turbinado Sugar and Celery Powder

Here is a link for more information regarding Carageenan, and there are links within you can follow to the FDA petition page, and there is a buying guide as well.

prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/carrageenan-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

The buying guide is sorely lacking in information on products and more need to be submitted to the list, like the Country Post chicken brand. But I found that Dairy Queen ice cream has carageenan, so I do believe that is why I can't eat it. Every ice cream brand available to me in my grocery stores here are all labeled on the buying guide as to having carageenan. This has to be why I stopped buying ice cream, it just doesn't sit well with me, well it's not good for the diet either, lol. I can only buy one brand of half and half for my husband and that is Land O Lakes and their ingredient list is just milk, my understanding is there is no carageenan in it, and he uses a lot of half and half through the week for his coffee, some items you have to be careful because some of their products have carageenan like the cottage cheese and sour cream. There are many product brands like that. Cream cheese for example, Philadelphia Fat Free cream cheese has carageenan but the regular one does not. Here is another link to a list of foods that have carageenan in them, I wish they could all be added to the same database.

miami-water.com/blog/4589/carrageenan-health-risks-products-list/

And here is the original link I was going to add here regarding the FDA wanting our opinions on crageenan, but there is so much more to it, so I led you down the never ending whirlpool, lol.

food52.com/blog/14822-what-does-natural-mean-and-what-should-it-mean?src=promo_bundle

I hope I didn't just overload everyone, in my area it's hard to come by food that doesn't have carageenan in it and our pocket book pays dearly for it.

These links may be to certain products but I am not selling anything or endorsing anything. This FDA form was brought to my attention by the website Food52 and I was interested because this carageenan thing has been a problem for me for a very long time so I decided to join in. Do as you wish!

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I'm good, at least as far as this is concerned. I've not seen any conclusive science that proves that it's bad, and much that proves that it's ok. I understand that it's considered as needing more research, but until such a time as I see some convincing science, I'm going to continue doing what I do.

More power to you, though. Especially if it causes you health problems. Almost everything causes someone health problems... we can't ban everything due to a small percentage of the population. We can, on the other hand, label it so that consumers can make their own decisions based on their own personal health needs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is there a TL:DR version?
  • anewstart22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm good, at least as far as this is concerned. I've not seen any conclusive science that proves that it's bad, and much that proves that it's ok. I understand that it's considered as needing more research, but until such a time as I see some convincing science, I'm going to continue doing what I do.

More power to you, though. Especially if it causes you health problems. Almost everything causes someone health problems... we can't ban everything due to a small percentage of the population. We can, on the other hand, label it so that consumers can make their own decisions based on their own personal health needs.

Yes, sure, but the FDA is now recognizing that carageenan is a problem additive in foods. It's banned in other countries and should be banned here. The problem with not banning an ingredient that causes health problems (even to a small percentage of people-but the list is growing) means that we suffer from the ingredient added to our foods, and it isn't needed at all. It's a useless ingredient, if we could just go back to foods that are as close to natural as possible a huge amount of the people who have cancer would go way down in counts. Also, part of the problem is some manufacturer's are not labeling it, even though they are by law required to. So people like me eat something that we think is safe and suddenly we have extreme pain in the stomach and digestive tract with then causes a lot of other problems down below. It's painful to say the least.

I'm glad you don't seem to have a problem with it, but as time goes on you might find that suddenly you have problems with your stomach and digestive tract. If that does occur you will begin tracing what the problem is, because the effects of carageenan for me, and many others, is utter daily suffering.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Which one of those links is the one that contains peer-reviewed research confirming this additive causes cancer?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

additives are bad and cause cancer; hence, you should not eat them.

that is my cliff notes version.

OP - that is fine that you believe that, but don't try to fear monger the rest of us into believing that additives are somehow evil.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - that is fine that you believe that, but don't try to fear monger the rest of us into believing that additives are somehow evil.

+1
  • anewstart22
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Which one of those links is the one that contains peer-reviewed research confirming this additive causes cancer?

Look at Dr. Weil's link and his information regarding Joanne K. Tobacman, M.D. and her studies.

Look at the link for Prevention.

• anewstart22
    Options
    i cannot believe that walmart would sell chicken that has carrageenan - shocked
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/10534304
    it's chicken for goodness sakes ! if consumers do not complain, these companies will go hogwild

i have msg allergies and have driven myself to the emergency room
    MSG hides behind 45+ names, such as Natural Flavouring.
    google the list http://www.healthcentral.com/allergy/c/25528/95017/msg-allergy/
    caregean is on that list - did not know that

At least they label it, Country Post brand doesn't.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This is the thing for me. All that carageenan added to foods and for what reason? It's being added to chicken in the bag, whole raw chicken or the 10 pound bags of legs and thighs, etc. There is no need for it and I had to stop eating foods that contained carageenan because it was part of the problem I was having with my digestive system. That stuff is in everything and what it isn't in, costs more to purchase. I discovered it when I started researching the ingredients on the labels even when the label said "natural", and I discovered I wasn't the only one having problems. Now that I try very hard to keep it out of the house, I am doing far better and my stomach thanks me for it with a whole lot less pain, inflammation and bloating. I had problems with medications causing many problems with my stomach, and by stopping them completely I was far better. However, I could not get the final problems to go away until I removed carageenan from my diet.

So, the FDA wants our opinion on what the "Natural" label means to us. To me, it means it's truly natural just the way it was grown, without antibiotics, added fillers or anything else that wouldn't be natural to the food, be it produce, dairy or animal of any kind. I buy uncured bacon because I don't want the nitrates and the nitrites, if the label doesn't say that both are excluded in the product label I won't buy it. There are so many things in dairy that have carageenan, you would be amazed at that. Here is a link regarding carageenan.

Dr. Wiel MD

Of course this company makes a lot of money by marketing carageenan for meat products.

I bought a big 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters about a year or so back and couldn't figure out why my stomach was hurting me after eating some. I had frozen the rest and when I cooked it, I had the same problem but my husband was fine. Well the brand is country post and carageenan is not listed on the ingredient list at all. Even though it is required to be there on the label. I know it has carageenan, because I called the company directly, right from the grocery store just a couple of weeks ago, and I was told carageenan was an ingredient. I was calling them asking if there was any MSG in the product, but was surprised to hear the carageeen. I asked the man on the phone very point blank. "What does carageenan have to do with raw meat?" "Why would you put that in raw meat?, it's raw meat by golly".

I told him I wouldn't be buying his company's meat because the last time I bought it something hurt my stomach and that is why I was calling, I wanted to understand their not so clear label, now I know what that is. I told him I would be spreading the word every time I am in the store and someone picks up their chicken that isn't properly labeled. We as consumers can make an informed decision on the foods we put into our mouths, if foods are properly labeled and all the unnecessary junk is taken out of it. I informed him I wanted my input to go to the top and I think he was stunned, I thanked him for his time and said goodbye.

I buy Central Market brand uncured bacon, it's not cheap at $5.97 for 12 ounces but when it goes on sale or there is a store coupon I will buy a couple of them to toss in the freezer, I was able to get two for $3.97 each a couple of weeks ago because it was on sale for $4.97 and I had two in-store coupons for $1 off of each package. I don't use much bacon in cooking anyway.

Product Description

Any way you slice it, our Central Market Bacon is a cut above. It’s made from hogs that are socially raised and given a 100% vegetarian diet. There are never any added hormones or antibiotics added to our bacon, so all you get is 100% pork that’s 100% delicious.

No Nitrates or Nitrites, except for the naturally occurring nitrates in sea salt and celery powder, gluten and casein free.

Here is a link for more information regarding Carageenan, and there are links within you can follow to the FDA petition page, and there is a buying guide as well.

prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/carrageenan-natural-ingredient-you-should-ban-your-diet

The buying guide is sorely lacking in information on products and more need to be submitted to the list, like the Country Post chicken brand. But I found that Dairy Queen ice cream has carageenan, so I do believe that is why I can't eat it. Every ice cream brand available to me in my grocery stores here are all labeled on the buying guide as to having carageenan. This has to be why I stopped buying ice cream, it just doesn't sit well with me, well it's not good for the diet either, lol. I can only buy one brand of half and half for my husband and that is Land O Lakes and their ingredient list is just milk, my understanding is there is no carageenan in it, and he uses a lot of half and half through the week for his coffee, some items you have to be careful because some of their products have carageenan like the cottage cheese and sour cream. There are many product brands like that. Cream cheese for example, Philadelphia Fat Free cream cheese has carageenan but the regular one does not. Here is another link to a list of foods that have carageenan in them, I wish they could all be added to the same database.

And here is the original link I was going to add here regarding the FDA wanting our opinions on crageenan, but there is so much more to it, so I led you down the never ending whirlpool, lol.

food52.com/blog/14822-what-does-natural-mean-and-what-should-it-mean?src=promo_bundle

I hope I didn't just overload everyone, in my area it's hard to come by food that doesn't have carageenan in it and our pocket book pays dearly for it.

These links may be to certain products but I am not selling anything or endorsing anything. This FDA form was brought to my attention by the website Food52 and I was interested because this carageenan thing has been a problem for me for a very long time so I decided to join in. Do as you wish!

you list blogs as sources…please link us to peer reviewed sources that back up your claims...
  • anewstart22
    Options

There is no fear mongering here, this is simple information for you and everyone else to research on your own should you choose to. You say additives are bad and cause cancer; hence, you should not eat them. Well how can you not eat them if they are not labeled properly. Especially for those of us whom have problems with such additives? They need to be taken out of the food supply, there is no use for them.
  • anewstart22
    Options

Dr. Wiel MD

Product Description

you list blogs as sources…please link us to peer reviewed sources that back up your claims...

Read the one's on the Dr.s
  • ndj1979
    Options

There is no fear mongering here, this is simple information for you and everyone else to research on your own should you choose to. You say additives are bad and cause cancer; hence, you should not eat them. Well how can you not eat them if they are not labeled properly. Especially for those of us whom have problems with such additives? They need to be taken out of the food supply, there is no use for them.

i said that was the cliff notes version.

and where are your peer reviews scientific studies that link these additives to cancer???
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    But my point was that it's not banned in other countries. The only ban that I could find was a ban in the EU in baby formula because of uncertainties and lack of science of it being needed.

It's not banned in countries far stricter than the US.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

Look at Dr. Weil's link and his information regarding Joanne K. Tobacman, M.D. and her studies.

Look at the link for Prevention.

I did, those links don't provide any peer-reviewed studies that support the claims made.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Dr. Wiel MD

Product Description

Read the one's on the Dr.s

just skimmed it …no links to studies referenced so know way to know what was actual studies.

if you are going to make spectacular claims you should really back them up with peer reviewed studies and not articles or blogs from the internet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cancer due to additives, maybe not - but emergency room bills - yes

so now the claim is additives lead to more emergency room visits???? Studies on that claim??????
  • anewstart22
    Options
    Please read the studies regarding it, the links are there in the article, I posted for everyone's benefit to learn and do your own research if you are interested. I have provided links for you to begin the descending down the whirlpool if you choose to do so. There are links from the Dr's. regarding studies on carageenan and it's use of it in food products. I am not going to answer that question again. Do your own research if you are interested if you won't take a look at and go further with what I provided. The research is there for the outcome of the health effects caused by carageenan.