Is this Normal?

Options
ToBeMe33
ToBeMe33 Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok so I'm 5'4 and weigh 170lbs and I started counting calories and exercising a week and a half ago. I am keeping my calories between 1100 - 1300 and doing cardio and strength 4 days a week total of 45min - 60mins each session. The scale has not budged. I am not expecting a big difference but I figured it should have moved a little! Yes I am counting my calories correctly. Is this normal?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's not abnormal.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you've recently started a new exercise regimen, water weight (needed to repair your newly-stimulated muscles) is masking the loss you're achieving via calorie restriction. Be patient for a few more weeks.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    do you have a food scale?
    ex: aldi wheat bran cereal
    serving is 3/4 cup, but when i weighed the 28 gram serving, it was only 1/2 cup
    weigh fruit, chicken, veggies, even candy - everything
    cost for a scale about $15 at target, bbbeyond, or walmart

Like I said I AM calculating my calories correctly - no doubt
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    ToBeMe33 wrote: »

Being accurate/correct also means using the correct entries from the database. This is a very common problem for people starting out. Because there are so many user made entries it can be very easy to pick the wrong ones and you could be calculating your calories incorrectly without even knowing it.

Make sure to read this link. It will help with accuracy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • vibrantval83
    vibrantval83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It could also be what you're eating also. Watch your sugars and carbs. It's helped me out
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Being accurate/correct also means using the correct entries from the database. This is a very common problem for people starting out. Because there are so many user made entries it can be very easy to pick the wrong ones and you could be calculating your calories incorrectly without even knowing it.

Make sure to read this link. It will help with accuracy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Ok let me explain - when I say I am calculating right.....I don't use the database, I use the package itself, if I don't have the nutrition facts, I don't eat it. Also am using a scale.....I have NO DOUBT that I am calculating correctly, that is why I put on the original post that I AM calculating correctly. I am not new to the calorie thing...the only thing I am new at is strength training...just not sure how it affects the scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But packaging can be off as much as 20%. You need to weight that as well.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It could also be what you're eating also. Watch your sugars and carbs. It's helped me out
    Is there some evidence here of a medical condition which might make this true?
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    But packaging can be off as much as 20%. You need to weight that as well.

I do....everyone says I'm a little obsessive about it all :neutral:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP open your diary, more then likely that's the culprit.
  • Serah87
    Options
    If you say you are only eating between 1100-1300 calories you would be dropping weight, unless you started a new exercise, your eating more then you think OP!!!! You can keep saying you are doing it right or you can listen to the advice and fix the problem now instead of later.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    If you say you are only eating between 1100-1300 calories you would be dropping weight, unless you started a new exercise, your eating more then you think OP!!!! You can keep saying you are doing it right or you can listen to the advice and fix the problem now instead of later.

I don't use myfitnesspal to calucate everything, I use fitbit.....I know 100% the food I am eating is not the culprit....I AM LOGGING CORRECTLY. I did just start a new exercise a week ago......I know 100% for sure I AM LOGGING CORRECTLY!!!!!....how many times do I have to say it!!
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    Maybe I didn't explain very well....I am new to strength training, I am not new to tracking calories...I am 100% for sure tracking correctly...
  • Serah87
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

I don't use myfitnesspal to calucate everything, I use fitbit.....I know 100% the food I am eating is not the culprit....I AM LOGGING CORRECTLY. I did just start a new exercise a week ago......I know 100% for sure I AM LOGGING CORRECTLY!!!!!....how many times do I have to say it!!

YOU are the one asking for help!!! We gave you good advice!!!

Good luck. ;)

Bye.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You weigh (in grams) everything that you put in your mouth? You measure all liquids?

If yes, and you are truly eating 11-1300 calories, you should give it more time. You are holding water or something I guess. It could be because you said you don't eat anything without a label (a weird strategy I might add), and labeled foods tend to have more sodium so that could cause water weight gain...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why people ask for advice and refuse to be open minded about it.

Good luck.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You weigh (in grams) everything that you put in your mouth? You measure all liquids?

If yes, and you are truly eating 11-1300 calories, you should give it more time. You are holding water or something I guess. It could be because you said you don't eat anything without a label (a weird strategy I might add), and labeled foods tend to have more sodium so that could cause water weight gain...

my thing is, if I don't know what or how much I am consuming I don't consume it. My sodium level is below 2000...that's why I'm having such a hard time with the scale not moving, I'm just new to strength training and not sure how it affects everything....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you netting 1100-1300 calories or eating 1100-1300 calories?