Is this Normal?

Options

Replies

• ToBeMe33
    ToBeMe33 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just need a little more patience. I just didn't expect to be at a standstill. I will give it a few more weeks and if I don't see a change I will reassess
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    crb426 wrote: »
    You may be gaining muscle while losing fat.

not this

In the very beginning stages of strength training and if you are a newbie to strength training, this is possible. She could gain a very small amount of muscle while losing weight within the first 4-6 weeks.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ToBeMe33 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I guess I just need a little more patience. I just didn't expect to be at a standstill. I will give it a few more weeks and if I don't see a change I will reassess

You still havent answered how you determine your exercise cals, and how much you eat back.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    If you've recently started a new exercise regimen, water weight (needed to repair your newly-stimulated muscles) is masking the loss you're achieving via calorie restriction. Be patient for a few more weeks.

Yes, I started strength training Oct 29, dropped three pounds post-menstrually, gained seven pounds by Nov 10, stopped strength training due to a cold, and lost five pounds in two days.

I started back at the gym last night and am fascinated to see what happens next.

I hear the "new exercise water weight" goes away in about four weeks.

I want the motivation to go back to the gym, can you give me some? I'm at the end of my travel season, so hopefully there will be more time for the gym. Maybe I should get those stretchy bands to keep up with resistance while traveling (sorry to derail the thread a bit).
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    If you've recently started a new exercise regimen, water weight (needed to repair your newly-stimulated muscles) is masking the loss you're achieving via calorie restriction. Be patient for a few more weeks.

Gonna requote myself here... since it might have gotten lost.

Thank you!

Thank you!

You're welcome. One question, when you "eat back" exercise calories, how do you compute/estimate them?

I wear a fitbit HR charge....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

not this

In the very beginning stages of strength training and if you are a newbie to strength training, this is possible. She could have gained a very small amount of muscle while losing weight.

No, not as a woman on a 1100 calories in 10 days. I guess if you mean small as in like .01lbs...that could be possible...but nothing measureable.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

You're welcome. One question, when you "eat back" exercise calories, how do you compute/estimate them?

do you eat all of your exercise calories back?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

If I understand correctly, you're tracking your food on Fitbit and getting your exercise burns from Fitbit. Is your calorie goal for loss also from Fitbit? If so, would it be better to ask your questions on the Fitbit support forum?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Activity trackers can be ridiculously inaccurate. Just one more thing that "could" be the issue.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

not this

In the very beginning stages of strength training and if you are a newbie to strength training, this is possible. She could gain a very small amount of muscle while losing weight within the first 4-6 weeks.

No...please stop with this 'building muscle' nonsense.

Over 4-6 weeks and eating at a small deficit...sure some could be built (but I would question whether it would even be measurable...certainly not enough to mask any fat lost).

But absolutely not averaging 1100 calories over 10 days.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options
    Activity trackers can be ridiculously inaccurate. Just one more thing that "could" be the issue.

yes I know they are for estimating only so tell me....how to you estimate your exercise calories? What would be the best way???
  • Hornsby
    edited November 2015
    Options

yes I know they are for estimating only so tell me....how to you estimate your exercise calories? What would be the best way???

I don't measure exercise calories for accuracy (other than running/cycling) so I wouldn't be the one to ask. I just know that I have had 3 activity monitors and none of them were even close on my calorie intake on what I "should" be eating.
  • ToBeMe33
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

If I understand correctly, you're tracking your food on Fitbit and getting your exercise burns from Fitbit. Is your calorie goal for loss also from Fitbit? If so, would it be better to ask your questions on the Fitbit support forum?

no my calorie goal for loss is not from Fitbit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Yes, I started strength training Oct 29, dropped three pounds post-menstrually, gained seven pounds by Nov 10, stopped strength training due to a cold, and lost five pounds in two days.

I started back at the gym last night and am fascinated to see what happens next.

I hear the "new exercise water weight" goes away in about four weeks.

I want the motivation to go back to the gym, can you give me some? I'm at the end of my travel season, so hopefully there will be more time for the gym. Maybe I should get those stretchy bands to keep up with resistance while traveling (sorry to derail the thread a bit).

Well, my motivation was the end of swimming and gardening season, the memory of being snowbound last winter, and hearing "lift heavy" a gazillion times here :)

And Stacy!

wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options

I think @rabbitjb says her Fitbit is spot on?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I tend to be pretty conservative when calculating calorie burns.

Weight lifting, I really don't count as a calorie burn at all. Not that I don't think there's probably some additional burn over just sitting at my desk, I'm of the opinion that with resting between sets, etc, it's not really all that much. I basically just count it as 'bonus' calories.

Cardio - I figure approximately 100 calories per mile run or about 100 calories for every 4 miles biked. That's about all I do for cardio.

Of course, different ages, weights, genders, etc will all factor into those estimations. It's probably overly simplistic, but it's worked for me.
  • Hornsby
    Options

No idea...hence, the "can be".
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Thank you!

no my calorie goal for loss is not from Fitbit.

Do you add exercises to your FitBit? Or just let it do it's thing?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Yes it is ...but mine is the basic pedometer and not an HRM version...I am very dubious of the HRM versions ...I use mine for steps only, not to monitor hr across the day

I overlay mine with a chest strap HRM during workouts ...polar ft4

But @kshama2001 ...you lifting the heavy things :bigsmile:

• kshama2001
    Options
    I like to pick things up and put them down :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s