Your #1 tip to others..

Options

Replies

• AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For me (and I am a type A personality if there ever was one) it would be PLAN PLAN PLAN! Pre log your day or week. Meal plan and prep. And if you are going out to eat plan ahead by looking at the menu online and choosing a healthy option. That way you don't even have to open the menu when you get there and be tempted. Making the decisions before hand takes a lot of the guesswork out of staying on track.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't make weight loss your primary motivation. Instead, change your lifestyle in ways that result in improved health as you work toward personal goals NOT related to the number on the scale. Discover what your body can DO and find physical activities you love.
  • morgancs21
    morgancs21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you live a busy life then pre cook at least a few meals (if not all) once a week. Portion them out and put in fridge. When you get home late and want to pick up that Chinese take out it is easy to pass now because it literally takes 1 minute to heat up a full healthy meal. I also will heat them up if friends want to go out to dinner then at dinner I'll order just some veggies and a water and I'm good because I'm eating something but I am already full with my healthy meal.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    My number would tip would be a simple - DON'T GIVE UP.
    Yes it can be hard sometimes - but that feeling you get when you reach your goal is like no other. Keep at it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I had a "stop being fat fund" where if I could afford, each time I would normally reach for a takeaway or grab a single cheeseburger on the way home in my old lifestyle,I put that money in a jar instead! Nice incentive when I hit my goal, I had over £400!! Bought a new, far smaller wardrobe :)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    #1- Patience (I thought I was stuck and not losing any weight, but I looked back at the graph I had actually lost 4 pounds during the month).

#2- Brush your teeth (Right after dinner is the worst for me in terms of wanting to find more food to nibble, but when I brush my teeth right after I finish my meal then I don't seem to have that problem.)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I had a "stop being fat fund" where if I could afford, each time I would normally reach for a takeaway or grab a single cheeseburger on the way home in my old lifestyle,I put that money in a jar instead! Nice incentive when I hit my goal, I had over £400!! Bought a new, far smaller wardrobe :)

That's a great idea! It's expensive trying to rebuild a new wardrobe.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Be honest - about your intake, your shortcomings, your habits and tendencies, and your preferences. Make your plan workable for the person you actually are. Pretending foods you hate are delicious and that foods you love are gross, for example, is dishonest and probably won't serve you well.

Don't get bogged down in minutia and thereby miss the forest for the trees.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip (and personal struggle!)
    -Unlearn some of the unhealthy messages I picked up in my 40ish years. Especially 'food is a reward' or a 'soother'.
    Some days I'm successful at practicing mindful eating, other days I've resorted to old habits, namely emotional eating.
    I'm learning to uncover and confront some of those long standing beliefs that I never ever bothered to challenge.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Don't let negativity from others about your current weight be a primary motivator to lose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    be disciplined, be consistent, and be patient.
  • kimmypress
    kimmypress Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Prepare your food for the week on Sunday. Grill chicken breasts lots of them with dif no salt seasonings. Chop tons of fresh vegetables and put in several qt size ziplock bags.
    Boil a dozen EB eggs
    When you are on the go- half of a breast and a bag of veg! Dinner. Add some fresh jacks salsa on top of your chicken breast and grill or steam a bag of your prepared veggies and serve with a side of cottage cheese. It will work. If eating salads use spicy brown mustard and vinegar for your dressing. No oils.

12 oz protein
    2 fruit
    6 c veg a day. = skinny city, USA! Good luck!
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You're going to get a lot of advice from mostly well meaning people. Here and in the "real world". Listen to it but don't believe that it's all gospel. Find what works for you and go with it. What works for you now may change over time so be prepared to evolve as you go along but realize only you know what's working for you.
  • annathebitch
    annathebitch Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Planks are the best exercise for toning abdominal muscles (IMHO)
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try and add fruit and/or veggies to every meal.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Just don't quit.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Take the time to learn how MFP works by reading the guides in the announcements. There are a lot of people out there that don't understand how things work and give out bad advice based on assumptions.

In general though, be realistic and patient.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard time with eating vegetables or don't like them, try ALL different kinds of vegetables! There are so many different kinds that you are bound to find some right for you. Don't give up on veggies!!
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself......you can love your body AND make it better at the same time. You arent perfect, you will have slip ups, the scale may not budge just keep doing the right things for your body and love yourself thru the process.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things.

Eat less

Move more

Get adequate rest

Enjoy life

^This. You are reinventing yourself as a fit person who maintains a healthy weight. Embrace the process. Be positive about it. Form habits around food and exercise that are sustainable and enjoyable and love yourself through the process. It will be ongoing.