Options
124»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My rules are this:

1. Nothing goes past my lips unless I ((((((((((((((L.O.V.E.))))))))))))))))) it. As in, abso-freaking-lutely LOVE it. This already cuts my choices by at least 60%. For example: I hate most people's pie crust, so almost any holiday pie put out as a treat, you can guarantee I'll pass - there are only 3 pies in the world I will eat and enjoy: my mothers (she's been dead since 2000, so we're safe there), my brother's (not the same recipe, and he lives 3,000 miles away, so we're safe there) and my friend Sue's. And I get to have Sue's pie on Thanksgiving.

2. I am most definitely going to indulge on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, our office Christmas party, New Years, and any occasional party I may be invited to (not many as I'm not really a sociable person). PROVIDED:

--the day before and after, I eat more lightly,
    --before the party/festivity, I eat less than I normally would,
    --and I absolutely make it to the gym the day before and the day after. I don't see it as punishment, but as a way to "finance" my calorie expenditures. LOL

This Christmas will be tricky as we will be away visiting family in Missouri...but we'll be doing touristy things walking around a lot so..I will cut myself a break on the gym for Christmas/Christmas Eve.

3. Remember that just because it's there, doesn't mean I have to eat it. Refer to Rule #1.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My weight problem was not caused by indulging 2 days a year...it's those pesky extra 363 that give me the problems.

We're pretty busy on the holidays-cooking, chasing after the kid mob, etc.- so I probably burn more those days then I do on a normal day. Still, I'm not going to go crazy or deny myself anything if I want it. I just have to remember just because 1 thing tastes good doesn't mean eating 27 more will make it taste better.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The key to not gaining at the holidays? Not using the holidays as an excuse to over eat.

I have a rule at work - if I didn't bring the food in, I don't eat it. I don't need candy, cookies, cakes and pies.

NO ONE other than myself is in charge of what goes in my body. If I don't want it, I say no. Even if I do want it, I say NO.

I find it sad. I can't imagine saying no to something special I never get the rest of the year just because 'I don't want to use it as an excuse to overeat'.

But you only had 18 pounds to lose so I guess you don't have the love of food that some of us do, so it's probably easier for you to think this way. That must be nice.

I find it hilarious that you think overweight people 'love food' more than people with less to lose. I'm a foodie, I love food and have never been overweight. The same goes for many famous chefs and restaurant critics. Being greedy and not knowing when to stop is not the same as 'loving food'. That's a ridiculous excuse. I guess if someone blows all their money on hookers it's not their fault because they 'love sex'more than the rest of us? Jeez

Wow that's probably the worst comparison I've ever seen... As I said though, it must be nice to be able to be satisfied on a small amount of food. It's not always the case for all of us.

But anyway, I still think it's sad to say no to something because you've reached your calorie goal (which technically would be overeating), if it's something you only get once a year. Sorry, but that's what it is. I can't imagine ever saying no to something I love and won't have again for a year, when I could just eat 50 less calories the next few days to make up for it. I didn't mean necessarily go over by 1000 calories (which I've done for Holidays, and without guilt, couldn't care less if you call that being greedy or not knowing when to stop). But technically, even going over by 200 calories is 'overeating'.

If it's really such a huge deal for you to go over your calories for the Holidays that you wouldn't eat a treat that you think you love, then nope, I don't think you love food as much as I do, and sorry if it offends you but that's what it is...

You keep saying "giving up things we have 1x a year, but WE ARE ADULTS. We can make holiday food whenever we want. If I want stuffing in July, I'll make it. If I want pumpkin pie in April, I'll make that too. Last Christmas my mom brought chocolate covered macaroons. I love a macaroon, but I can love them all year long. I had a goal and it wasn't to eat all the macaroons. And I also know that if I ate one of those tasty buggers, I'd eat the whole tray.

Is it so bad that I love my size 6 pants more than I love a cookie that will put me over my calorie limit? I'm gonna go with no. But you can think otherwise...it's a free world.

Who said it's bad? I never said it's bad. I said it's probably nice for you and I wish I could do that too but I do love food too much.

I don't know why everyone's so hang up on the 'some people love food more than others' bit. You know, I love books, especially from my favorite authors. Do I love them enough to go stand in line at midnight when they are out? NOPE. And I don't get upset if people tell me I don't love those books as much as they do. That's probably true.

You love your size 6 pants more than a cookie, well, good for you. I love my size 6 pants too but you bet I'll have that cookie if I want it too (I'll just eat less tomorrow).
    susan100df wrote: »
    The key to not gaining at the holidays? Not using the holidays as an excuse to over eat.

I have a rule at work - if I didn't bring the food in, I don't eat it. I don't need candy, cookies, cakes and pies.

NO ONE other than myself is in charge of what goes in my body. If I don't want it, I say no. Even if I do want it, I say NO.

I find it sad. I can't imagine saying no to something special I never get the rest of the year just because 'I don't want to use it as an excuse to overeat'.

But you only had 18 pounds to lose so I guess you don't have the love of food that some of us do, so it's probably easier for you to think this way. That must be nice.

I find it hilarious that you think overweight people 'love food' more than people with less to lose. I'm a foodie, I love food and have never been overweight. The same goes for many famous chefs and restaurant critics. Being greedy and not knowing when to stop is not the same as 'loving food'. That's a ridiculous excuse. I guess if someone blows all their money on hookers it's not their fault because they 'love sex'more than the rest of us? Jeez

Wow that's probably the worst comparison I've ever seen... As I said though, it must be nice to be able to be satisfied on a small amount of food. It's not always the case for all of us.

But anyway, I still think it's sad to say no to something because you've reached your calorie goal (which technically would be overeating), if it's something you only get once a year. Sorry, but that's what it is. I can't imagine ever saying no to something I love and won't have again for a year, when I could just eat 50 less calories the next few days to make up for it. I didn't mean necessarily go over by 1000 calories (which I've done for Holidays, and without guilt, couldn't care less if you call that being greedy or not knowing when to stop). But technically, even going over by 200 calories is 'overeating'.

If it's really such a huge deal for you to go over your calories for the Holidays that you wouldn't eat a treat that you think you love, then nope, I don't think you love food as much as I do, and sorry if it offends you but that's what it is...

Using your reasoning is why I have to eat at a deficit now. I don't trust myself yet to overeat with the intention of eating less the next day. Not sure I ever will trust myself on that. Would rather save the calories up front. I don't want to to fall back into the habit of saying I will worry about it later.

I only walk for exercise at a pace that doesn't burn many calories so I know I can't walk away the calories either.

I think it's sad that I got myself where I am. Passing on goodies is sad too but not the end of my world. I can buy, cook or bake anything I want, whenever I want.

Being able to walk up stairs without feeling like I am a minute away from a heart attack is much more yummy than any food could ever be.

I love food. Never met anyone that doesn't have their favorites.

I keep a deficit all the time too. Most days I stick to it, others I don't, but overall it evens out. That's why I don't get the 'OMG YOU'RE OVEREATING ONE DAY YOU'RE GOING TO GET FAT' comments.

Gosh I never said you have to eat like a pig to really enjoy the Holidays. I'm just saying that I absolutely can't imagine having a bit of everything I really want and not going over that day, but I also don't think it's a huge deal to go a bit over on a special occasion... and that doesn't mean people are necessarily greedy or pigs...

And yeah, I agree that 'it's not like you can't have that food another day and I can make what I want when I want', but for me, I kinda can't. There's no way I'm making a whole pie on a regular day because there's only two of us that will eat it, then I end up eating more of it... that kinda defeats the purpose (I'm only mentioning pie because I have no problem having a small serving of everything else, and there are things I don't even like). So you bet I'm going to enjoy a (small) piece of each pie. Even if it puts me over my calories (which it might not, it really only depends on how hungry I am that day, usually).

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    I recently listened to a dietitian stating that although it might feel like one gains 5-10 pounds over the holidays, the most people gain is about 1 pound. The bad news, however is that that same 1 pound gain remains with us for the rest of the year. She also said that the 5- 10 pound increase (or more) is seen, but usually in the obese demographic.
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Some of us celebrate Hanukkah. Which lasts for eight days. And the major traditional foods are fried potato pancakes and jelly doughnuts. Plus we still have Thanksgiving (well, I'm U.S., so I do) and our coworkers bringing in the Christmas goodies. Then on Christmas we go out for Chinese.

(Feel better, Christmas celebrants? :) )
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    wendymoira wrote: »
    Some of us celebrate Hanukkah. Which lasts for eight days. And the major traditional foods are fried potato pancakes and jelly doughnuts. Plus we still have Thanksgiving (well, I'm U.S., so I do) and our coworkers bringing in the Christmas goodies. Then on Christmas we go out for Chinese.

(Feel better, Christmas celebrants? :) )

How did jelly doughnuts end up being a traditional Jewish food?
  • overw8gosk8
    overw8gosk8 Posts: 457 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You wont gain 15 pounds. Its one day. Measure, log it and carry on. Stick to your goal. Pushy relatives are not going to shove food in your mouth. You control you.

This.

I will also be eating the much dreaded dessert muwahahaha. I figure, I made it, so I will enjoy my cooking for a day. Then pawn the rest off to my co-workers, children and the family :)
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've had years where I've put on up to 10lbs during the holidays and I use holidays loosely as for me, the holidays start the moment I begin to engage in holiday treats until the very last one is consumed, which can be all the way into February if no one else is helping to finish those Costco sized bags of candy.

But usually during those years, I wasn't very active at all. This year as I am physically active and will continue to eat at a deficit whenever possible, I feel that I will be able to avoid the holiday 15 and maybe end up with only a few extra pounds on my frame when all is said and done.