SLIM FAST?!

Is anyone on slim fast right now? I'm using it because it is very good for the fast life I have. The shakes and snacks help me then I'm home for my dinner meal. Curious if it's helped anyone or am I wasting my time.!

Replies

• dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    I used slimfast before when I lost 50+ lbs. I liked the simplicity of it. I stil get the mix and drink a shake when I'm in a hurry or don't want to cook.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Not necessarily your time, but your money. You can achieve a calorie deficit with food, you know.
  • I used it for two months now and have lost 16lbs. I'm going to stop using it once I run out of these last 3 cans of powder I have though. Why?, well because I see it now as a waste of money. In the beginning it was great because I have a sweet tooth so I was able to fulfill that need during breakfast and lunch and it helps with calorie control. Now I'm at the point where this is not what I want to drink twice a day anymore so it's time to learn how to fit a "real" breakfast and lunch into my calorie goal and use that slim fast money on something else.

I'm not knocking it....it has helped me lose weight and I'm very happy about that. I'm just saying it gets old fast. I add fruits or peanut butter, etc to my shakes and I'm still bored at this point. Good luck on your goals.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    I tried it and I was hungry all the time so I ended up overeating.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Some people might not like it because of the trans fats and sweeteners etc. But if it works for you, great!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    How will you eat once you've lost the weight?

what habits will you have made?

I can think of far better things to fill my body with for the calories personally

Slimfast was one of my arsenal of dieting fads when I was in the yo-yo years...for me it was a short term, unsustainable fix
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    If it works for you and your lifestyle, then fantastic! :]

Many of us don't like to 'drink our calories' and my personal opinion is - it isn't sustainable for the long-term as a 'diet plan'.
  • JVS1
    JVS1 Posts: 20 Member
    It can be a good starting point and very convenient for some, but it's not for me.

Even though they've recently reduced the sugar content of the shakes by 30%, there's still 18g in one shake and it triggered sugar cravings in me. Not surprisingly I've returned to portion control of real food.
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    I love having a Slim Fast for breakfast with a banana mixed in. I do it in the blender with ice.

I think it's so silly when people ask if Slim Fast or whatever program you use is "sustainable for life." Just take it a day at a time and make adjustments when needed. You don't need to make a lifelong commitment to any program or lifestyle. I'm so sick of reading that on here.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    I love having a Slim Fast for breakfast with a banana mixed in. I do it in the blender with ice.

I think it's so silly when people ask if Slim Fast or whatever program you use is "sustainable for life." Just take it a day at a time and make adjustments when needed. You don't need to make a lifelong commitment to any program or lifestyle. I'm so sick of reading that on here.

The people who advocate lifelong changes are the ones who've been down this route, gained all the weight and then seen the error of their ways, myself included. Weight loss is a process of retraining your body and your brain to understand appropriate portion of food based on your activity level.
  • gatorsong
    gatorsong Posts: 7,000 Member
    I tried Slim Fast when I started out, but I quickly realized it wasn't going to work for me. I was hungry all the time, and then there was the smell. The chemicals in there must really not agree with me. My urine was really acrid all the time. Even after stopping them, it still smelled for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it wasn't anything natural in there.

I know people that have used it and have had no issues at all, it just didn't work for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Is anyone on slim fast right now? I'm using it because it is very good for the fast life I have. The shakes and snacks help me then I'm home for my dinner meal. Curious if it's helped anyone or am I wasting my time.!

I used slim fast years ago. It did not slim me fast, and it was a waste of my money because what I did lose came back very quickly once I started eating normally.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If you must have a shake for ease of use, you would be better served making your own. SlimFast has pretty piss pour ingredients in the overall scheme of things.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited November 2015
    I sometimes have a low carb protein shake for lunch. I would never use Slimfast, the sugar would act to make me hungry in an hour.
  • Sued0nim

Right so to the 200 calorie shake you add a 110 calorie banana which is higher calories than my scrambled egg white with cheese and ham on toast and coffee

And the issue is the learning curve and forming habits ...if you're not interested in the rest of your life then fine

I yo-yoed for 3 decades using crap like this ...I'm delighted to no longer do that
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Hornsby wrote: »
    If you must have a shake for ease of use, you would be better served making your own. SlimFast has pretty piss pour ingredients in the overall scheme of things.

These are my two biggest criticisms of slimfast and similar shake-based weight loss tools.

I believe many people successfully drop some weight if they are able to use them, but long-term, most people tend to put it right back on as soon as they stop taking the shakes, as they've learned no sustainable habits on how to manage weight.

And if you feel you can be successful, there are simply much better alternatives out there than slimfast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Why would you NOT make a lifetime committment to weight management? To me, health is a top priority.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    I understand wanting fast easy food. I prefer to make my own smoothies though. Takes all of five minutes, max. Just throw the ingredients in the Ninja (I buy frozen fruits for this), hit the auto button, and finish getting ready while it gets tasty.
  • fitnicole21
    fitnicole21 Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2015
    I have done it years ago and lost a good amount of weight. I tried it a while back and only lost 1 lb but wasn't drinking enough water. Now it's been almost a week and I'm not hungry at all because I am drinking half my body weight in water.No it is not for long term but it is a start for me to push myself in the right direction. I will slowly add small meals to my diet after this 30 days. I want to prove to myself that I can stick to something. I tried the healthy chicken and that got very old very quickly. I hate chicken now because of that lol but I will continue this for the rest of my 30 days
  • Sued0nim
    I have done it years ago and lost a good amount of weight. I tried it a while back and only lost 1 lb but wasn't drinking enough water. Now it's been almost a week and I'm not hungry at all because I am drinking half my body weight in water and lose atleast 1 lb a day sometimes .5 a lb. Which is fine. No it is not for long term but it is a start for me to push myself in the right direction. I will slowly add small meals to my diet after this 30 days. I want to prove to myself that I can stick to something. I tried the healthy chicken and that got very old very quickly. I hate chicken now because of that lol but I will continue this for the rest of my 30 days

Oh streuth

Losing a lb a day and you don't realise this is water weight?
  • fitnicole21

Thanks! I used it years ago and it worked. I'm doing it for 30 days to prove to myself I can stick to it. I do go to the gey daily. I will be adding small meals in after my 30 days is up. I'm excited to where It can help get me started weight wise.
  • fitnicole21
    I have done it years ago and lost a good amount of weight. I tried it a while back and only lost 1 lb but wasn't drinking enough water. Now it's been almost a week and I'm not hungry at all because I am drinking half my body weight in water and lose atleast 1 lb a day sometimes .5 a lb. Which is fine. No it is not for long term but it is a start for me to push myself in the right direction. I will slowly add small meals to my diet after this 30 days. I want to prove to myself that I can stick to something. I tried the healthy chicken and that got very old very quickly. I hate chicken now because of that lol but I will continue this for the rest of my 30 days

Oh streuth

No,I "did not realize" that Since this is the first time I've actually had to try to lose weight after have a second C Section. So no I do not know anything about losing weight or getting back into shape since my normal range is from 110 - 115 lbs. I have google and that's it lol
  • Sued0nim

Oh streuth

No,I "did not realize" that Since this is the first time I've actually had to try to lose weight after have a second C Section. So no I do not know anything about losing weight or getting back into shape since my normal range is from 110 - 115 lbs. I have google and that's it lol

Want a quick basics lesson?
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    I never really had it regularly but i do keep the chocolate shakes on hand for those busy days when im in and right back out the door and don't have any time to make something. It tastes pretty good and keeps me full until snack time
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Every time I have tried this, 4 times in the last 30 years, I end up getting ill after a week or ten days. I have a friend that used to drink the shakes for lunch, four or more days a week, she ended up getting diverticulitis. I am very suspicious of vitamin fortified products with little fiber. You may be able to get away with these kinds of diets when you are young, but they are usually not sustainable and can have consequences to your health.
  • This content has been removed.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

I can think of far better things to fill my body with for the calories personally

Slimfast was one of my arsenal of dieting fads when I was in the yo-yo years...for me it was a short term, unsustainable fix

This^

I've done Slim Fast in the past....yet here I am (again).

Slim Fast is great for a temporary fix, not for permanent weight loss. I'm fat because my portions are too big. My breakfast portions....my lunch portions.....my snacks. Slim Fast doesn't give you any tools needed to deal with the foods you will eat during maintenance.

At least dial down the number of meals replaced. Learn what a healthy lunch is & log it. Then learn what a healthy breakfast is, and log that too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I lasted about 36 on it. It tasted bad and I was really hungry.

It's fun for people who like to crash diet, losing and gaining the same same five or ten pounds over and over again, but it's not a great idea for people who are serious about losing weight and keeping it off.

People who are serious about long-term weight loss and keeping that weight off need something they can do for a long time. They need to develop healthy eating habits and learn to eat in a way that keeps the weight coming off and then stable.

TLDR: Slimfast is for crash dieters, not serious ones. IMO, anyway.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member

Well, Its a fact. You have to change and commit to keep weight off.

It's sad, I know, the truth always hurts.

No way...I control me. Not a suppressant. Also, its a waste of money, and dependancy. Because you are HANGRY you cant control you and slim fast will do it for you??? Pfffff.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Just eat food.

Slimfast isn't a lifestyle. You need to learn how to eat food in moderation.