anyone else eating mostly carbs?

Options
13»

Replies

• JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight on a high carb diet...well, like 50-60% carbs (not sure if that qualifies but I think it does!)

I tried cutting down to 30-40% but I'm just not satisfied with that amount. I'm vegetarian if that matters and in general the foods I crave are breads and pastas. I love eggs but need to have some toast with them ;)

It works for me. Over the 4 years that I was cutting calories I did switch things up from time to time to find what works best for satiety, so really there's no harm in trying it out for awhile then reevaluating a few weeks down the line.

Good luck to you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat about 60% carbohydrates, but they're mostly from vegetables, fruit, beans, and grains. I don't think everyone feels hungry when they eat a higher level of carbohydrate. For me personally, the fiber content makes a big difference. I would probably feel hungry on the meals you describe. But that doesn't mean that YOU will feel hungry on it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    "If you keep doin' what you're doin', you're gonna keep gettin' what you're gettin'." ~Zig Ziglar

Are you currently happy with what you are gettin'? If yes, keep it up. If no, time to change something up. If you have to change something up, do it in teeny-tiny baby steps. Small changes are much more sustainable and you can build on them as you master them.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat about 60% carbohydrates, but they're mostly from vegetables, fruit, beans, and grains. I don't think everyone feels hungry when they eat a higher level of carbohydrate. For me personally, the fiber content makes a big difference. I would probably feel hungry on the meals you describe. But that doesn't mean that YOU will feel hungry on it.

Great reminder about fiber.

I guess the OP IS hungry since she opened with "cravings"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i eat a pretty balanced diet, to include carbs...but I don't eat mostly carbs
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous posters that IF might work for you, or even a version of IF where you save the majority of your calories for later in the day. I tend to do that and it works failry well for me (although I'm not high carb).

Good luck.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Personally, I love carbs. I do find however, that if I am heavy on them early in the day, that I will want to feed constantly. I think you might want to look into intermittent fasting.
    I'm struggling, I mean really struggling with cravings. Do any of you just eat mainly simple carbs, like for example, a big bowl of frosted flakes with whole or 2% milk for dinner, or fried chicken with real mashed potatoes and gravy and a biscuit and a glass of sweet tea? I would rather have a smaller portion of good food like this, than to eat a bunch of stuff that I just don't like. I'm just being as real as I can be here. If the calories in versus calories out thing is what it takes to lose weight, well why not? I'm including a multi-vitamin and exercise too. Also, I realize that I would be eating very little due to the high calorie content, but if I maybe waited til dinner, I could make it work. What you say? Go easy on me now! I'm 5'3 and I am currently 193lbs.

I agree that intermittent fasting may work for you. I do it because eating anything during the day makes me sluggish, plus carbs later in the day help this insomniac sleep. If you keep your calorie intake within a shorter window, say 8 hours, you'll get to eat more volume at one time instead of spread out, and probably feel more satisfied. IF is not for everyone, but in your case may be worth a try.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Great reminder about fiber.

I guess the OP IS hungry since she opened with "cravings"?

It's unclear from the post if she is trying to avoid all these foods and struggling with cravings to eat them or if this is what she is currently eating and is craving more.

OP, if you're struggling with cravings for some of the foods in your post, try incorporating some. You don't necessarily have to incorporate them into every meal. Personally, if I was going to have a sweet cereal for breakfast, I'd balance it with something else that has more fiber and protein. If I was having fried protein and mashed potatoes for dinner, I'd start with a big bowl of a soup (with fiber) or salad and then have my fried food and mashed potatoes almost as a side. These would be MY strategies, not that it's the only way to do it.

You don't have to avoid any of the foods that you listed, but if you find they aren't filling you up, experiment with ways to make them "go further" by including other foods in your life. Being hungry is tiring and exhausting and it often sets us up for failure. Don't go hungry!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling, I mean really struggling with cravings. Do any of you just eat mainly simple carbs, like for example, a big bowl of frosted flakes with whole or 2% milk for dinner, or fried chicken with real mashed potatoes and gravy and a biscuit and a glass of sweet tea? I would rather have a smaller portion of good food like this, than to eat a bunch of stuff that I just don't like. I'm just being as real as I can be here. If the calories in versus calories out thing is what it takes to lose weight, well why not? I'm including a multi-vitamin and exercise too. Also, I realize that I would be eating very little due to the high calorie content, but if I maybe waited til dinner, I could make it work. What you say? Go easy on me now! I'm 5'3 and I am currently 193lbs.

I don't eat mostly carbs, but some people do. I wouldn't worry about that now, but in trying to get adequate protein and paying attention to what feels sustainable for you. (Also, that dinner doesn't sound particularly carb heavy to me. More fat heavy, if anything.)

What I find works for me more than food choice in controlling overeating was simply training myself not to eat between meals and controlling portion sizes. I definitely kept eating normal foods and did not eat foods I didn't like, but I also like lots of vegetables and fish and so on. But I don't really like boneless, skinless chicken breast that much (or at least I get tired of it), so I'll roast a whole chicken, with its skin, instead. I like roasted potatoes as well as mashed, but there's no reason to stop eating mashed if you like it. Maybe experiment with how to make it lower cal if you find the amount you get to eat for the calories is less food than you'd like.

I think focusing on calories first is a good thing -- if you cut out things and find you are craving what you think you can't have, that can be counterproductive for some. But I think many people find when they lower their calories that they shift toward adding some lower calorie foods (leaner meats, vegetables and fruit) simply to fill them up on those calories. But it's a process and often happens pretty naturally as you start understanding calories and portion sizes. So I say try it and see how you feel.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd make a few changes so I wouldn't be so hungry all the time. There's a little more protein needed in that breakfast. A hard boiled egg would do it. That will give your entire breakfast more staying power.

Sweet tea, IMO, is simply throwing calories away. Try using an artificial sweetener instead of the sugar. My daughter in law has lost twenty three pounds in the last few months simply by switching from sugar sodas.

I'd cut back how much gravy I was using (maybe even just a tablespoon!) so you get the taste you love but with a much smaller volume. Add a salad to that fried chicken dinner.

You might experiment also with baking the chicken instead of frying it sometimes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

@rocknlotsofrolls I was eating that way until Oct 2014 and am a little taller, older and heavier. When the doctors wanted me to start Enbrel injections for pain managed that new risk of cancer made me do some serious research.

In my case I learned some managed their pain successful without resorting to dangerous Rx med. 30 days after I left all forms of grains and most all forms of sugars my daily pain levels tumbled from a subjective 7-8 pain level to 2-3 and my new Way of Eating is still managing my pain levels a year later. Other health issues started to fade away as well as a lot of fat.

In your case whatever you can make work then make it work for you.

I have stopped dieting and started to eat to live longer with the goal of being walking and talking right up to the end. :)

There is nothing low calorie about my way of eating since I am eating 2500-3000 calories daily. In my case the type of calories make all the difference. If the type of calories that you eat makes no difference in your case then eat whatever macro that you prefer. We are all different.

By the way I eat NOTHING that I do not really enjoy eating. To do other wise insures long term failure at dieting I realized after failing at dieting for 40 years.

Best of success and a life time of learning the way to better health.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I eat high carb some days; I really don't care about any macros except protein so I just eat what I want between carbs and fat. I do eat sweets in moderation (i.e. a lot less than before), but I eat a lot of other carbs and have lost over 55 pounds so far. My favorite carbs are pastas and breads, and I find a pasta dinner very filling.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I dont think its calories in vs calories out. I believe that large amounts of certain foods just dont help the body shed the fat like others do. every one reacts differently to carbs. Some can eat them early in the day and not in the evening. For me.....i love carbs....i eat a ton of carbs a day....i just choose them in the way of fruits , vegetables and brown over white. Simply because i can eat a ton of these things...feel full and still have the right kinds of food that wont make me feel heavy or lethargic afterwards. Dont try to look at foods as bad or good....maybe find some healthier alternatives to the heavy things you enjoy. My carb intake is close to 200 grams a day. I dont log food any longer....when you eat alot of the natural stuff you really dont have to i am finding.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice guys. Thanks for the support! :-)
  • fbg419
    fbg419 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat almost nothing but carbs. Their cheap. I am learning new ways to make them healthier, but for my budget cheap comes first. I read one post that suggested intermittent fasting. I'm planning on looking into that. I have 50 pounds to lose, and I'm going to get there before spring!
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    randomsue wrote: »
    Sit down and set some goals. What are your goals besides losing x number of pounds? Do you want to be fit, are you trying to get off of certain meds you're on right now, how are you visualizing your lifestyle in 5-10-15 years? You want to eat this way but are you looking at your long term health, is it sustainable and if it is how are you going to sustain it?

Setting goals that is long term is what will determine the longevity of your weight loss. Yes, you can lose weight on most fad diets out there but can you sustain it for the long term. Set your goals and what you can't live without. Once you have the long term goals in place, implement the changes that would get you there.

you can eat carbs and hit long term health goals.

I didn't say it wasn't. Some are for all carbs, some for no carbs but we all have different goals and how we go about it. Telling her to go all out and eat whatever without a balanced diet would be as bad as telling her to cut out carbs and sugars. We can have it all. Yes, calories in versus calories out but if that's all that you want, that's a personal choice. I suggest finding a balance and what works for you. My way of eating isn't going to be great for everyone but I do know that unhealthy eating might not be an issue now but in 10, 15 years, you WILL see the repercussions of eating things like Frosted Flakes and fried chicken with sweet tea for most of your meals than if you eat those things on occasion along with vegetables, fruit , lean meats and healthy fats along with simple AND complex carbs.
  • celinend
    celinend Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    No, I've actually been trying low carb for the last couple of months. Yea, sometimes it sucks not being able to have that slice of pizza, but I still eat other tasty food and I feel fuller on fewer calories.

I have a family member who eats a lot of cereal and other high carb foods and he's a super lean, healthy guy - but he runs marathons.

Do whatever you find works for you.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat about 50% carbs, and I love me some dessert so there's at least one meal likely to be high in simple carbs and fat every day. The rest are usually complex carbs. Non-starchy vegetables, sweet potatoes (I'm on a sweet pot. W/ Tabasco kick right now), grits/polenta, steel cut or rolled oats, rice (was just gifted a kick-*kitten* rice cooker), and bread.

To temper carb cravings (if that's what you're having, and not craving food you love), try having a larger portion of protein at every meal. Swap out fried chicken for roasted but keep the rest of the meal the same, eat eggs or Greek yogurt along with a smaller portion of cereal, that sort of thing.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    brigid_4 wrote: »
    I eat almost nothing but carbs. Their cheap. I am learning new ways to make them healthier, but for my budget cheap comes first. I read one post that suggested intermittent fasting. I'm planning on looking into that. I have 50 pounds to lose, and I'm going to get there before spring!

You sound just like me. I'm on an extreme budget. I have to pay for my food on account, on account I ain't got no money! LOL! I just can't eat like some people on here, according to their diaries. We are a family of 3, and it just can't be done. I know what you mean by carbs are cheaper. Hamburger helper, pasta, hot dogs, etc. I also have 50lbs to lose, and I aim for next spring.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    brigid_4 wrote: »

You sound just like me. I'm on an extreme budget. I have to pay for my food on account, on account I ain't got no money! LOL! I just can't eat like some people on here, according to their diaries. We are a family of 3, and it just can't be done. I know what you mean by carbs are cheaper. Hamburger helper, pasta, hot dogs, etc. I also have 50lbs to lose, and I aim for next spring.
    Frozen fruits and veggies are cheaper than fresh produce. Dried beans are way cheap. Buy meat on sale and freeze it! Use the bones to make your own stock - better (by a lot) than store-bought and costs nothing but the cost of using the stove. :)

You might already know that, but just in case you didn't. :)