Love cardio, but weight lifting is more important?

Options
malioumba
malioumba Posts: 132 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I love cardio, but I often neglect lifting (and I'm not even lifting heavy...just what is considered as "toning"); so basically I lift no more than 12lb dumbbells, not because I don't want to lift more, but because I'm weak. Would I like to get stronger and try to bulk up? Of course! But I don't think I could ever really accomplish that.

My main worry and purpose for creating this thread is that I'm worried I'm over-doing it with cardio and thus, making my body more adapted and leaving no room for future plateaus. Is this a very real concern, and should stop doing cardio as often?

Should I just devote more days to strength training? I hate calling it 'lifting' or 'strength training' as lifting no more than 15pounds is pathetic. I don't consider this lifting...I just don't know what to call it.

What it usually looks like:
- I use free weights maybe less than once a week, sometimes once a month. (Bench press, seated row, military press, cable press-down, and lunges, planking and bridge exercise: 3 sets/12 reps for the free weight exercises).

-Cardio is: 60 minutes a day at a steady heartbeat rate of 160

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A good fitness plan includes regular strength training - typically every 2-3 days for a full-body workout like what you described. Doing it less than once a week is rather pointless.
    Use a weight that's challenging on each set. Also add some form of squats to your routine. :+1:

Any other questions?

• malioumba
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    A good fitness plan includes regular strength training - typically every 2-3 days for a full-body workout like what you described. Doing it less than once a week is rather pointless.
    Use a weight that's challenging on each set. Also add some form of squats to your routine. :+1:

Any other questions?

Is it really pointless? Isn't "any move a good move"? (I kid, I kid).
    I'll call it "body work out" instead of lifting. I used to incorporate squats, but...I'm one of those people who has tried endlessly to do the proper form, but according to a vast number of (1) random "personal trainers" who sweep in to give me advice, (2) to the gym staff I ask to guide/correct my form and (3) the quiet gym rats who I'm guessing are staring in disappointment and shake their heads with "you're so doing it wrong... look.

The 3rd one is just a guess. Regardless, I haven't managed to do it right. I end up with knee pain while I'm doing it, and I can't get my feet on the ground while bending; that's when I discovered the "asian squat", and also discovered I can't do it.
    But this reminds me I was intending to look up an alternative move that could more or less cover the same muscles squatting does. Maybe there is something out there you could suggest?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    I love cardio, but I often neglect lifting (and I'm not even lifting heavy...just what is considered as "toning"); so basically I lift no more than 12lb dumbbells, not because I don't want to lift more, but because I'm weak. Would I like to get stronger and try to bulk up? Of course! But I don't think I could ever really accomplish that.

My main worry and purpose for creating this thread is that I'm worried I'm over-doing it with cardio and thus, making my body more adapted and leaving no room for future plateaus. Is this a very real concern, and should stop doing cardio as often?

Should I just devote more days to strength training? I hate calling it 'lifting' or 'strength training' as lifting no more than 15pounds is pathetic. I don't consider this lifting...I just don't know what to call it.

- I use free weights maybe less than once a week, sometimes once a month. (Bench press, seated row, military press, cable press-down, and lunges, planking and bridge exercise: 3 sets/12 reps for the free weight exercises).

Any movement is good. Any exercise you enjoy, this is the one you should be doing.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you can't get your feet on the ground while bending for a squat? I can't seem to picture that. What, specifically, are the trainers saying is wrong with your form? Did they give you tips to help? Are your hips tight? Tight hips can lead to poor form as you may not have the flexibility to go parallel, if this is a problem you need to work on mobility. Start with body weight squats, if you weren't already. Also, I don't think anyone is shaking their heads at you...most gym rates are so into their own workout that they don't really notice anyone else.

I think you need to start being more kind to yourself. 15 lbs can be lifting...it's lifting heavy if it's heavy to you. Nobody is going to judge you on the weight. You should just be happy with your progress. Rome wasn't build in a day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I used to incorporate squats, but...I'm one of those people who has tried endlessly to do the proper form, but according to a vast number of (1) random "personal trainers" who sweep in to give me advice, (2) to the gym staff I ask to guide/correct my form and (3) the quiet gym rats who I'm guessing are staring in disappointment and shake their heads with "you're so doing it wrong... look.

The 3rd one is just a guess. Regardless, I haven't managed to do it right. I end up with knee pain while I'm doing it, and I can't get my feet on the ground while bending; that's when I discovered the "asian squat", and also discovered I can't do it.
    But this reminds me I was intending to look up an alternative move that could more or less cover the same muscles squatting does. Maybe there is something out there you could suggest?

Try a wide-stance goblet squat or chair squat.

If you have problems, post a video of you squatting. If you're shy, don't show your face - from the neck down is fine.

In addition to squats, it's good to add some form of deadlift, like Romanian deadlifts. :+1:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way. Compound lifts are my foundation. What I get out of it is strength. It is as simple as being able to open a tight refrigerator door to lift out a carton of milk when I get old. Or to have more power to compete in my sport.

Lifting itself is not my passion. But I need it to do all the other stuff. And most athletes--from footballers to tennis players lift to make their game better.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is not which is more important but which is more important to YOU. Unless you are just unfit in any certain area and you are remaining healthy, it's up to you to decide where you are more fit. I know cardio freaks that have little muscle other than that which supports their cardio. And I've known people that are brutes in the gym that have no cardio fitness at all for their body weight.

Most of us find a balance somewhere in the middle. But to say that one is more important than the other, well in modern life that really mostly depends on why it's important to you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cardio and resistance training are both important to a well rounded fitness regimen.

as far as plateaus and weight loss goes...your diet is what is most important.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into any beginner lifting programs? New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, Strong Curves, etc.

If lifting 12lbs is difficult for you now, then that would be considered "heavy" lifting at your level. If you strength train 2-3 times a week, you will progressively get stronger and be able to lift more. As mentioned above, cardio and strength training are both important, but it's up to you and your goals which one you want to focus more on.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i am by no means an expert on weight lifting but I found that when I lift regularly by body shape tends to change. i look more leaner. My girlfriend and I went on a diet a couple of years of ago, we both weighed the same but I was able to wear a smaller size because I lifted weights and she did not. I usually use the machines 3 times a week. Scared of free weights.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I swam, ran, and biked for several years without ever touching any barbells or weights. I had enough LBM that I could climb a rope or lift my bodyweight over a wall/fence, or do 50 pushups. That was good enough and I looked balanced enough. So it depends on what you're looking to change (if anything).

An hour a day of cardio is far from overdoing it, but again it depends what you're trying to do - lose weight, get faster, look better, be stronger, etc.
  • malioumba
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    I usually use the machines 3 times a week. Scared of free weights.

Lol, I'm scared of machines!
    I used to incorporate squats, but...I'm one of those people who has tried endlessly to do the proper form, but according to a vast number of (1) random "personal trainers" who sweep in to give me advice, (2) to the gym staff I ask to guide/correct my form and (3) the quiet gym rats who I'm guessing are staring in disappointment and shake their heads with "you're so doing it wrong... look.

If you have problems, post a video of you squatting. If you're shy, don't show your face - from the neck down is fine.

In addition to squats, it's good to add some form of deadlift, like Romanian deadlifts. :+1:

The staff at my gym have tried using a box for me to "fall" on for my squats. I could post a video I suppose...

You guys are right that I'm not over-doing it with cardio - now that I think of it, I don't know why I thought 60 minutes a day maybe would be too much! Haha, silly me!
    A lot of you mentioned it depend what is important to me, and I'd say I definitely have a yearning to be stronger, to lift heavier and build muscle. Real muscle. It's really intimidating to go to..."that" side of the gym, even just for my current free weight light baby lifting/body work out.

Thanks guys =)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I am the complete opposite. I literally do no cardio. And that is not great either as it is good for heart health. My goals are strength and physique and I can achieve that through weight lifting and diet.

Really a well rounded fitness program should include both. Lifting should be more than once a week though if you're going to do it. At least 3x/full body, using a structured program with a progressive overload.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

You sound exactly like I did a year ago. I love my cardio, and I balked at the idea of lifting weights. I figured a little bit of dumbell moves were sufficient - I just wanted to tone up. I also was weak - 12 lb dumbbells were even tough for me.

Then I bit the bullet and started doing barbell lifting with my husband. Well, it didn't take very long to start seeing not only pleasant changes in my physique, but also improvement in my cardio ability. I was stronger, faster, and the little niggles in my legs (history of shin splints) that would crop up were nonexistent. I have since learned that, while running and biking USE the glute and hip muscles, they do not actively build them, so my weight lifting has become the way I build the strength foundation that supports and improves my cardio.

When I started lifting, I couldn't even squat the 45-pound bar. I had to work up to that. Don't let weakness stop you - the strength comes, and builds even more quickly for us newbies.

Honestly, I would highly recommend looking into starting a barbell strength program (squats, dead lifts, bench press, overhead press). The benefits are truly amazing, even for us cardio bunnies. Some good ones to look at are New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, and Starting Strength.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    I usually use the machines 3 times a week. Scared of free weights.

Lol, I'm scared of machines!

The staff at my gym have tried using a box for me to "fall" on for my squats. I could post a video I suppose...

You guys are right that I'm not over-doing it with cardio - now that I think of it, I don't know why I thought 60 minutes a day maybe would be too much! Haha, silly me!
    A lot of you mentioned it depend what is important to me, and I'd say I definitely have a yearning to be stronger, to lift heavier and build muscle. Real muscle. It's really intimidating to go to..."that" side of the gym, even just for my current free weight light baby lifting/body work out.

Thanks guys =)

If the goal is to lift heavier , then there is no way around it, you need to actually lift :)
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I agree with many people above. Depends on your goals. There is a lady on our street that runs 5km every morning. I think that is too much. She doesn't.

Cardio does wonders for the heart, weight training does wonders for the muscles. It is difficult to maintain muscle with excessive cardio, so if you want to gain strength and muscle, sometimes cardio needs to be cut back. Hard to build muscle without some dedication and a plan involving progressive training though, so if your goal is to build some muscle (you refer to as toning), you do need to give it some honest effort.

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you mean that you have a difficult time keeping your heels on the ground when you squat? I love lifting, but would always get frustrated because I could only go to parallel, no deeper. I tried doing so with no weight and either my heels would lift up or I would simply fall over. My husband suggested it was calf tightness and suggested I try the motion with phone books under my heels- sure enough, form was just fine. Obviously, you don't want to work out with something under your heels, but some weightlifting shoes are made specifically with a raised platform in back to help with this issue. Also, stretching.

Sorry if this is not what you were trying to describe, it just sounded exactly like my issue and I was dumbfounded for months until I figured out the culprit was calf tightness.
  • malioumba
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Do you mean that you have a difficult time keeping your heels on the ground when you squat? I love lifting, but would always get frustrated because I could only go to parallel, no deeper. I tried doing so with no weight and either my heels would lift up or I would simply fall over. My husband suggested it was calf tightness and suggested I try the motion with phone books under my heels- sure enough, form was just fine. Obviously, you don't want to work out with something under your heels, but some weightlifting shoes are made specifically with a raised platform in back to help with this issue. Also, stretching.

Sorry if this is not what you were trying to describe, it just sounded exactly like my issue and I was dumbfounded for months until I figured out the culprit was calf tightness.

No, that's part of it. My heel does lift up, but I cannot do parallel either, without having my chest all the way next to my thighs. I have done the phonebook thing too. I continue to practice to try to have my feet completely flattened (sometimes with a book) while I'm doing trivial things - like the playing with the rabbits, or brushing my teeth.

I guess I just need to man up and give it more attention since I do want to become stronger. Someone suggested I use a barbell - but the barbells are more than 12lbs - I can't lift the barbell though - even without any weights added onto it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can lift more than 12lbs...do you lift chairs, tables, groceries, heavy bags, suitcases in your every day life?

If you want to get stronger and gain some muscle, cut down a little on the cardio, otherwise you'll be cancelling out some of your strength training.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    So I like food, but is breathing more important? ;) OK, kidding aside, it took me several months to get my squat form where it needed to be so my knees wouldn't hurt. Years of doing office work left my hips really tight (oddly, sitting down all day tightens your hips like you wouldn't believe). Plus I simply didn't know how to do it right. Not only do you have to keep your knees from bowing in, you also have to make sure all the weight of the squat is on your heels. If you push through with the balls of your feet you will route the stress of the lift through your knees instead of your hips. Here's a really good tutorial on squat form. She does the demo with no bar, which is how you should start in front of a mirror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPYCiuiB4PA Once you feel like you have it figured out, you should record yourself so you know for sure that you have it. Once you get your form right you'll be amazed at how much less stress there is on the knees. Oh yeah, don't worry about the amount of weight you can or can't do. Nobody over the age of 20 cares about that