Dairy, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I love dairy especially yogurt so I would never give it up.

I agree that soy milk is disgusting (and I get problems with soy anyways) after that experience i have never tried any of the other alternatives.

I would say if you have no issues with dairy reintroduce it there is nothing wrong with consuming dairy.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't consume dairy for ethical reasons, but that's me.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk (unless it has chocolate in it), and too much of it will make me just feel kind of icky. I drink unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I actually enjoy the taste. If milk doesn't bother you, then don't cut it out!

So far as I can tell, ice cream, cream, and cheese don't both me (yogurt and sour cream will always be disgusting though). I think it just might be that a gigantic glass of chocolate milk has more lactose than a tablespoon of cream (in coffee).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Dairy: if you like it and react well to it, eat and drink it. (This is me.)

If you don't like it, react poorly to it, or have ethical issues with it, don't eat or drink it.

Lactose intolerance is really common, so if you suspect you might have it, you can try cutting it out for a while, but the mere fact that some people (even many people) have issues with it doesn't mean you will.

For me it's a delicious and easy source of protein, especially low fat Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Also, just because I think it's interesting, there's unsurprisingly a link between geographic origins and ability to digest lactose as an adult. People from areas where dairy became a part of the diet earlier are typically not lactose intolerant: http://nutrigenomics.ucdavis.edu/?page=information/Concepts_in_Nutrigenomics/Lactose_Intolerance

Not shocking. My husband and I are both of good mixed northern/western European stock and neither of us nor our horde of beast children have any problems with dairy.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cutting out a food because it makes you bloat is probably a good idea. Cutting out a food because other people say it makes them bloat . . . I don't really understand that.

I don't consume dairy (for ethical reasons). If you really want to avoid it, try one of the many other plant milks out there -- cashew, almond, hemp, hazelnut, oat, rice.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I love dairy but my tummy doesn't :( I recently switched to vanilla almond milk and I love it!!! Oh and there's even almond milk/coconut milk frozen desserts (like ice cream bars). My digestive system is very happy!

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options

Not shocking. My husband and I are both of good mixed northern/western European stock and neither of us nor our horde of beast children have any problems with dairy.

Lol... I'm going file that one away for future use!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions for issues with dairy that have helped me. One is to go organic. I don't know why, but I have significantly less issues with organic milk vs normal milk. The other I go with is slowing the rate of absorption. For example, when eating out, I wait until I've started eating before I drink any of the milk.

I now don't consume conventionally produced dairy for ethical reasons. In the past, I have had problems with conventionally produced dairy that I did not have with dairy from small family farms. Some of these have organic practices but are not certified organic.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Milk is good for you. Why not. ;)

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    dairy is vile
    just the smell of it makes me want to vom
    which is funny cause i use to be one of those vegetarians that was addicted to it

alternatives are way better
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    dairy is vile
    which is funny cause i use to be one of those vegetarians that was addicted to it

Looking at pictures of natto makes me want to vomit, but lots of people love it. A feeling of disgust may be a useful guide for our own food choices, but it's not really applicable to anyone else. Your disgusting food is someone else's favorite.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Love dairy, would never give it up for anything.

It's really all about how you personally react to the food. Depending on your degree of lactose tolerance, you may have significant problems with dairy or you may have none. For me personally, my one and only problem with drinking eight glasses of milk at a meal would be the 880 calories, not any other effect of what metabolizing that milk would do. I'm a mix of eastern and northern European heritage, though, so high lactase production is normal for my ethnicity, and I can enjoy all forms of dairy with no ill effects.

When you get down to it, it's irrelevant if it causes bloating in many people, it matters if it causes bloating in you. You are not "many people", you are one specific person.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it agrees with you, eat it! :)

For me, most dairy is a big No, because it doesn't agree with me. But I can - and do - eat cottage cheese and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I eat high-fat dairy, and I tolerate it very well. I eat a lot of hard cheese and high (10% or 11%) fat plain yogurt. I use full fat milk, and sometimes cream, in my coffee.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    if you have an issue with dairy, try almond milk maybe? there's a lactaid milk out there too that is good. i don't have a real dairy intolerance, but i prefer almond milk to regular. is much lower in calories, and i think it's tastier in my coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    if you don't have allergies or otherwise have issues with dairy, there's nothing wrong with it. i love dairy.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with various diets including avoiding dairy (I remember being concerned with an acceptable level of mastitis white cells). I didn't care for plain soy, but vanilla flavored soy was a great substitute.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    dairy is vile

Looking at pictures of natto makes me want to vomit, but lots of people love it. A feeling of disgust may be a useful guide for our own food choices, but it's not really applicable to anyone else. Your disgusting food is someone else's favorite.

Except people who like natto. Those people need Jesus.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If cow's milk isn't a problem for you, drink it. If it is, try goat's milk - may not be available in the store but at a farmer's market. Almond milk is my fav plant-based, can't abide soy milk.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    dairy is vile

Except people who like natto. Those people need Jesus.

I have to agree with this. I ... just can't understand it.

(I kid, I kid)

I tend to avoid milk itself because it bloats me, but other dairy products don't give me issues.

OP, if you have no issues? Enjoy.