Dairy, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person whether dairy works for them. If you are lactose intolerant then you can drink lactose milk (treated with an enzyme) or substitute almond/soy/cashew or another milk. I've been using more cashew and almond milk lately because I like it and it is lower in calories so helps me to stick to my calorie goal for weight loss.
  • kwisdom08
    kwisdom08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Although your body may not have any adverse reactions to dairy I would not endorse the consumption of it. Unless it is local grass fed; commercial cow milk is full of products and hormones who knows what their affects are. I would be very careful and attentive to ingredients and added fillers.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Not shocking. My husband and I are both of good mixed northern/western European stock and neither of us nor our horde of beast children have any problems with dairy.

Lol... I'm going file that one away for future use!

You're welcome!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Not shocking. My husband and I are both of good mixed northern/western European stock and neither of us nor our horde of beast children have any problems with dairy.

Lol... I'm going file that one away for future use!

Hmmm. I was caught more by
    both of good mixed northern/western European stock

and wondering what that meant.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I justgoogled natto and thought, yum it looks like homemade toffee popcorn......then I began to read about it. wow. ummm wow. I'll let somebody braver than me to try that
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes to dairy. Give me cheese, milk, butter, yogurt and ice cream please!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Almond milk: cereals, coffee drinks
    Soy milk: Mac-n-cheese, baked recipes
    Rice milk: GODIEINAFIRE
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Dairy industries have done very bad things to cows in the past and present (I'm not a vegan, but don't drink dairy for this reason) There are other options like: almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk. Try those before switching back. Don't forget just because one brand doesn't taste good doesn't mean it's not good product for others. (for almond milk don't get the skinny bottle since it's not a good flavor)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yes to dairy. All the dairy!

Except buttermilk. Because yuck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I ate 450g of Fage today :neutral:
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to Soy milk after reading that regular (cow) dairy is not that good for you and can cause bloating. I do not like the soy milk. Anyone out there with 1. facts about the true evil powers of dairy or 2. product recommendations for substitutes that won't make me gag?

I really miss my afternoon Greek yogurt, and my cheddar with crackers with my wine. :-) Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with dairy at all, nor is there anything wrong with soy. If your gut doesn't like one or the other, then that is good enough reason to eliminate those foods. But, no food is good or bad in and of itself.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love dairy but my tummy doesn't :( I recently switched to vanilla almond milk and I love it!!! Oh and there's even almond milk/coconut milk frozen desserts (like ice cream bars). My digestive system is very happy!

Yep. Try Steve's chocolate salted carmel, which is non dairy. It Soooooo good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

:open_mouth: Do you even scone? Or cake? @AnvilHead
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

@rabbitjb - I do indeed scone and cake. I pancake too. I even cottage cheese. But I don't buttermilk. God kills a kitten every time somebody drinks that nasty, clotted, sour stuff.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

@rabbitjb - I do indeed scone and cake. I pancake too. I even cottage cheese. But I don't buttermilk. God kills a kitten every time somebody drinks that nasty, clotted, sour stuff.

It's an ingredient not a drink...who on earth drinks buttermilk? Is that even a thing?

*sheltered life*
  • AnvilHead
    Options

It's an ingredient not a drink...who on earth drinks buttermilk? Is that even a thing?

*sheltered life*

Definitely NOT a thing for me. My dad used to chug the stuff, made me throw up in my mouth a little bit just watching.

As an ingredient, I'm down though.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ahh. Parental induced childhood trauma
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Trivia: in the middle ages, almond milk was often used instead of dairy milk because it kept better (and could be used during Lent).

I like almond milk and also dairy, though as ingredients rather than as stand-alone drinks.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

*sheltered life*

It's a drink here in Germany (I'm in Germany this week) - and even comes flavoured - less sour. More like a thick lassi.