Options
124»

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I honestly cannot explain my thinking. Stubbornness? Not educated enough on the whole portion control thing? Seeing other people losing weight WITHOUT measuring and thinking I could do the same? At one point I thought just cutting out fast food and working out a couple of times a week would definitely be the key to losing weight. It wasn't. You live and you learn.

I didn't mean all of that. I totally get that.

It's the "I was eyeballing my portions and sure I was under X calories" thing. It comes up every so often around here. I totally believe the people who say it! It fascinates me. I want to understand it.

I think that there is a lot of good to be gained from understanding that. I think it might help people, understanding the hows and whys of how that works.

I don't know, though, if the "Maybe I should check" thing never crosses their mind or if it does and they think, "No, blah, blah, something blah" or what. Is it a subconscious denial or is there some thought process that guides them around actually checking?

One day, someone will have figured it out for themselves and explain how they managed to be sure without ever checking.

I understand almost everything people say. Even if it's irrational, it can make a sort of irrational sense. This is one thing that comes up sometimes that I have never understood.

I think I understand what you're saying. Before I started using a scale, every time I mashed something squishable into a measuring cup I wondered how tightly I was supposed to be packing it. So the question about accuracy came up for me all the time.

I imagine people don't have that thought process when they think they are packing correctly. I don't worry about hard things like raw rice. I assume I am doing that correctly. It doesn't occur to me to weigh it. I may be all wrong about this. (Cooked rice squishes, so I do weigh that.)

Every time I make pesto I wonder how tightly I'm supposed to pack the basil leaves.

my thought was if I can make it fit into a cup its a cup. If it's heaping over the top of the cup but not falling on the counter...its a cup.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Its also like this for me...when something bad happens to you you might think of it then have a thought process that leads to you telling yourself not to think of it. In this case you can explain how your mind led you to that conclusion. OR your mind may not allow you to think of that bad thing. It may block it out completely to the point you don't remember it happened. In which case there is no thought process you can explain. This felt more like my mind. It never reached the idea I was doing it wrong. Even when I decided to do everything humanly possible to lose it wasn't to see if that was the problem. It was to prove to my doctor i wasn't overeating
    I planned to print out my diary and show her. When I started losing it was like floodgates of understanding opened and I realized the problem.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention, I came off of the Paxil, despite my anxiety, because at one point I convinced myself that it was the reason I couldn't lose. That didn't help. Tried green extract...didn't help.

I have two sisters who took paxil..both gained so much weight.. that drug is also why you couldn't lose and most likey the biggest cause of your stall.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I thought that too and expected everything to be fixed when I came off of it. Months went by and nothing happened. It still wasn't until a calorie deficit that I lost.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I came off of the Paxil, despite my anxiety, because at one point I convinced myself that it was the reason I couldn't lose. That didn't help. Tried green extract...didn't help.

I have two sisters who took paxil..both gained so much weight.. that drug is also why you couldn't lose and most likey the biggest cause of your stall.

Drugs don't cause you to gain/not lose weight. They may change your appetite, but it still boils down to being in a calorie deficit.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great post! I had the same thing happen. I was measuring and weighing things but not losing as fast as I thought I should. My first mistake, of course, was thinking I should be losing closer to 2 pounds a week instead of 1 pound or even .5 pounds. I had the old diet mentality of needing to lose NOW. I've now realized I am eating like I will eat for the rest of my life, so as long as I'm on a downward trend, all is well with losing less per week. After asking for advice on this site, I got the usual answers from everyone of "measure, measure, measure." Even then I was skeptical, cuz I thought I WAS measuring. And I do well on weighing everything, but there were two culprits that were sabotaging my efforts: whipped cream and peanut butter. I put PB in my morning shake, and I had down half a tablespoon. When I finally measured, I was eating more like a whole tablespoon, if not more. That added a minimum of 50 calories per day. Then I decided to get serious and measure my daily whipped cream habit. I was eyeballing and thinking it had to be around 10 tablespoons per day. WC is hard to measure, right? So I decided to buy a new can and write the date on it that I started eating it. When it was finished, I took the number of days and divided it by the calories. Would you believe I was eating 225 calories a day in whipped cream, instead of the 75 I thought I was??!!! Yep, measure EVERYTHING! Oh, yeah, and I decided to quit the whipped cream cold turkey after that. It's a trigger food that I can't just eat a little. :)
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Karihappy wrote: »
    Great post! I had the same thing happen. I was measuring and weighing things but not losing as fast as I thought I should. My first mistake, of course, was thinking I should be losing closer to 2 pounds a week instead of 1 pound or even .5 pounds. I had the old diet mentality of needing to lose NOW. I've now realized I am eating like I will eat for the rest of my life, so as long as I'm on a downward trend, all is well with losing less per week. After asking for advice on this site, I got the usual answers from everyone of "measure, measure, measure." Even then I was skeptical, cuz I thought I WAS measuring. And I do well on weighing everything, but there were two culprits that were sabotaging my efforts: whipped cream and peanut butter. I put PB in my morning shake, and I had down half a tablespoon. When I finally measured, I was eating more like a whole tablespoon, if not more. That added a minimum of 50 calories per day. Then I decided to get serious and measure my daily whipped cream habit. I was eyeballing and thinking it had to be around 10 tablespoons per day. WC is hard to measure, right? So I decided to buy a new can and write the date on it that I started eating it. When it was finished, I took the number of days and divided it by the calories. Would you believe I was eating 225 calories a day in whipped cream, instead of the 75 I thought I was??!!! Yep, measure EVERYTHING! Oh, yeah, and I decided to quit the whipped cream cold turkey after that. It's a trigger food that I can't just eat a little. :)

Great idea with the whipped cream thing!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Karihappy wrote: »

Love this post!! Way to go!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you hadn't actually checked, why were you "SURE" it was 1500 calories? Could you walk me through that thought process?
    I tend to be really obsessive and would underestimate things to keep the number from being in the red. I told myself it was on because there was no way I was eating that much over my calories. I stopped eating many carbs and deserts and such. The point is that I convinced myself, wrongly, that I was staying under my calories
    . its only after I started being more strict that I was even able to admit to myself that I had been doing this.
    And you really never thought, "Well, I haven't actually checked, so maybe I'm not staying under 1500 calories"? Never, ever occurred to you that maybe you should check before being SURE? Ever?

Is there a reason you feel the need to give her the 3rd degree? Shesh. She was just sharing her experience.

It's not the third degree.

I'm genuinely interested in how that works. How does a person never say to themselves "Maybe I should check on that" before being certain of it?

Maybe someone, some day, will explain just what the heck they were telling themselves and how they came to be sure of something without ever considering seeing if it was right.

I can't really say for sure about this OP but I think the vast majority of people don't think that hard about the process like you seem to think everyone is. People don't sit and agonize over every decision, validate whether something proves their hypothesis, etc. People lead busy lives, they have their beliefs and they implement a plan that they think is going to work. If it doesn't work, it may take quite some time before they evaluate to try to determine a root cause. They may try to find an extenuating circumstances (special snowflake syndrome) to blame, rather than something that points to errors, inexperience, or ignorance on their side...

Kudos to OP for having the self awareness to try to change your approach to one that improves your logging accuracy and gives you the results you are looking for.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I give up. I'm not trying to badger you or make you feel dumb. I'm sure it makes sense, in some way. I'm just trying to figure out how it makes sense. You're not the first person I asked and failed to understand. You probably won't be the last!

One day, someone will explain it so that it makes sense.

If you felt badgered, I apologize.

No worries, I get it now. I wish I could explain it better.

@taracan25....please don't feel the need to explain yourself in any more depth than you have everyone else on this thread has understood your reasoning and many have spoken up and said that your experience resonated with them.

I am glad you have you found your way honey....onwards and upwards to successfully achieving your goals and major respect for coming out with such honesty and integrity to to admit the error in your thinking and tracking in the hopes it will help others that's really cool.

@Kalikel ..... seriously stop with the probing already. The lack of comprehension is a problem on your end. Leave enough alone. You have asked enough questions and not in a very nice way either. You say you fail to comprehend the lady's reasons....time to look inwards at your own stuff not project such fake interest, when it really comes across as belittling to the OP. We have all made mistakes, fooled ourselves with untruths at one or more point in our lives that doesn't make us stupid....just human.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I give up. I'm not trying to badger you or make you feel dumb. I'm sure it makes sense, in some way. I'm just trying to figure out how it makes sense. You're not the first person I asked and failed to understand. You probably won't be the last!

One day, someone will explain it so that it makes sense.

If you felt badgered, I apologize.

No worries, I get it now. I wish I could explain it better.

@taracan25....please don't feel the need to explain yourself in any more depth than you have everyone else on this thread has understood your reasoning and many have spoken up and said that your experience resonated with them.

I am glad you have you found your way honey....onwards and upwards to successfully achieving your goals and major respect for coming out with such honesty and integrity to to admit the error in your thinking and tracking in the hopes it will help others that's really cool.

@Kalikel ..... seriously stop with the probing already. The lack of comprehension is a problem on your end. Leave enough alone. You have asked enough questions and not in a very nice way either. You say you fail to comprehend the lady's reasons....time to look inwards at your own stuff not project such fake interest, when it really comes across as belittling to the OP. We have all made mistakes, fooled ourselves with untruths at one or more point in our lives that doesn't make us stupid....just human.

Agreed that it doesn't make her stupid and actually said that. If you read the thread, you'll see that I agree with much of what you said, with the exception of it being "fake interest."
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I found a big discrepancy in measuring with measuring cups (even one brand to another) vs food scale amounts.. and was surprised at how much overeating I was doing because of it. TBH I bought a food scale on a whim, just to see and have been using it since. It's no more or less "inconvenient" than cups and much more accurate. I will say.. I was heartbroken over the difference in cereal portions lol.