Runners! Needing encouragement :(

Options
124»

Replies

• kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Listen to your body and just keep pushing yourself. Running is about 90% mentality so as long as you stay positive, who knows what can come of it!

One of my runner friends told me that once she learned it's okay to walk during a run, running became so much easier for her (both mentally and physically). You also have to remember that running is a sport against yourself. Races seem intimidating but in the grand scheme of things, everyone is just trying to finish/beat his or her time/etc. I'd say to go ahead and sign up! Worst case scenario you can just walk it, right?

Good luck!
  • runbreatherelax
    runbreatherelax Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with what people are posting - plus you'll get a lot of extra adrenaline from the race itself. You can do it, and there is NO shame in walking!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    The more you run (day wise), the easier it becomes.. Believe me.

Several years ago, I hated running. I could barely run a mile, let alone a 5k. I then followed the c25k program and pushed through to my first 5k. Once I finished that race, I looked back on how far I had come and felt so proud.

Now here I am years later training for my first marathon.

Just keep at it. I promise, it gets better after time.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    C25K is very strenuous for a beginner.

Here is an 8-week "Conditioning Program"
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

:-)
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, the feelings you have are completely normal. As long as you're not in pain, trust the program, and just keep running.
    If you need to slow down, slow down. If you need to repeat a week, repeat a week. As long as you push yourself to do your best and aim to do a bit better every time you go out, you're doing great and still getting a decent workout. Lots of people walk races- there is no shame in that. I also agree with the PP that acknowledging that it's okay to take a walking break made it easier to run continuously because I didn't get myself so stressed out.
    I started C25k in November 2011, I've ran numerous 5ks and 2 half marathons, and I'm training for my 3rd half. I started with a decent cardio base, but the 5 minute running intervals still felt horrible. I had to repeat that week couple times until I felt comfortable to move on. The first 5 weeks of C25k felt a lot harder than my 15 mile runs. The learning curve is steep, but it does get easier, and crossing the finish line feels incredible.