Cereal that is filling and maybe low calorie?

ZeXea
ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
I love cereal, but havent really had any for some time. I just find that I end up not picking any up.
Im aware some contain a lot of sugar, though to be honest it doesnt bother me that much...what bothers me is I eat cereal, but feel hungry an hour or so later :(

Does anyone know any filling cereals? To have you feel satisfied for hours? I hate the idea of 'breakfast at 9am' but then hungry at 11am. :/
It would be great if its low calorie, but if its not, I just care to know :(

Thank you for reading :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Have you tried overnight oats.
  • ZeXea
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you tried overnight oats.

I dont think so. It sounds semi-familiar but I really cant place this.
  • ZeXea

wow, ive been googling and found SO MANY amazing recipes and information on this. And this article helps so much.
    THANK YOU!
    I am so pleased right now, I am going to try this this weekend! :)
  • queenliz99
    ZeXea wrote: »

wow, ive been googling and found SO MANY amazing recipes and information on this. And this article helps so much.
    THANK YOU!

I love overnight oats. You can go crazy with add ins.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea wrote: »

THANK YOU!

I love overnight oats. You can go crazy with add ins.

Im about to start learning. And it seems so simple but so many varities. One could never get bored!
  • queenliz99
    It keeps me full until lunch.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    100 gram of apple
    40 gram of instant oats
    some cinnamon and stevia

Microwave the apple with cinnamon and half a cup of water for 10 minutes
    Get it out the microwave and add the oats.
    add more cinnamon and a sweetener ( stevia)

and for around 225 calories you have a pretty good breakfast. I do sometimes with almond milk or milk and other fruits or nuts
    Chia seeds or and flax seed etc

drxwvwuzy9y4.jpg

95069916.png

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Oatmeal of some sort would be your best bet. Most cold cereals have dismally small serving sizes and leave you hungry an hour or two later. At least a serving of oats can fill a bowl.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    I dive into two of the basics that have been around for years. Cheerios and Shedded Wheat. Two servings of Cheerios with 1 cup of skim Milk is only about 300 calories and is a lot to eat. 3 biscuits of Shedded Wheat, the big ones, with a cup of milk is about 360 calories.
    Both of these do me wonders for 3-4 hours. Can't stand cereal with gobs of sugar so I stick to the basic ones. As for hot cereal, don't eat hot cereal so I have no suggestions.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    tinger12 wrote: »
    I dive into two of the basics that have been around for years. Cheerios and Shedded Wheat. Two servings of Cheerios with 1 cup of skim Milk is only about 300 calories and is a lot to eat. 3 biscuits of Shedded Wheat, the big ones, with a cup of milk is about 360 calories.
    Both of these do me wonders for 3-4 hours. Can't stand cereal with gobs of sugar so I stick to the basic ones. As for hot cereal, don't eat hot cereal so I have no suggestions.
    haha... shedded :p
  • Unsweetened, unsalted museli. It's been my go-to breakfast for years and I feel hollow without it now. It's low GI, has no sugar, is very filling and is quick to make and eat.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Oatmeal is filling for a little while. Then in a couple hrs I am watching the clock for lunch time.So a smoothie with milk & Greek yogurt is my go to breakfast.The high protein works for me.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    One dietician (diabetes educator) recommended I include some protein wwith my cereal to help me not feel hungry mid-morning. One suggestion was a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in (though I actually prefer almond butter when I can afford it)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    as "cereals" go, I only eat oats and grits.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    I stir raw oatmeal into yogurt and eat it right away. It's chewy but not at all unpleasant. My husband likes shredded wheat -- several of the varieties have no added sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Overnight oats don't fill me up at all. Go figure.

Two Weetabix with a container of Greek yogurt works pretty well for me though, and it's only 230-280 calories depending on the yogurt you use (I like using Oikos triple zero for the extra fiber). Add some fruit and you have a very high fiber breakfast.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    This is my go to for everything oatmeal http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

For wheat cereals I like weetabix but normally add something extra to it, peanut butter, jam, syrup, etc.

I love the sugary corn/rice cereals but I don't find them filling at all which is why I only eat them very occassionally as a snack on the go.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    What about zoats? I find them a little more filling than just plain old oats, and the zucchini doesn't add many calories.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I like the kashi brand cereals- they have some different flavors- and for me it is filling