Cereal that is filling and maybe low calorie?

Options
ZeXea
ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
I love cereal, but havent really had any for some time. I just find that I end up not picking any up.
Im aware some contain a lot of sugar, though to be honest it doesnt bother me that much...what bothers me is I eat cereal, but feel hungry an hour or so later :(

Does anyone know any filling cereals? To have you feel satisfied for hours? I hate the idea of 'breakfast at 9am' but then hungry at 11am. :/
It would be great if its low calorie, but if its not, I just care to know :(

Thank you for reading :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you tried overnight oats.

I dont think so. It sounds semi-familiar but I really cant place this.
  • ZeXea
    Options

wow, ive been googling and found SO MANY amazing recipes and information on this. And this article helps so much.
    THANK YOU!
    I am so pleased right now, I am going to try this this weekend! :)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »

wow, ive been googling and found SO MANY amazing recipes and information on this. And this article helps so much.
    THANK YOU!

I love overnight oats. You can go crazy with add ins.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »

THANK YOU!

I love overnight oats. You can go crazy with add ins.

Im about to start learning. And it seems so simple but so many varities. One could never get bored!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    It keeps me full until lunch.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    100 gram of apple
    40 gram of instant oats
    some cinnamon and stevia

Microwave the apple with cinnamon and half a cup of water for 10 minutes
    Get it out the microwave and add the oats.
    add more cinnamon and a sweetener ( stevia)

and for around 225 calories you have a pretty good breakfast. I do sometimes with almond milk or milk and other fruits or nuts
    Chia seeds or and flax seed etc

drxwvwuzy9y4.jpg

95069916.png

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal of some sort would be your best bet. Most cold cereals have dismally small serving sizes and leave you hungry an hour or two later. At least a serving of oats can fill a bowl.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I dive into two of the basics that have been around for years. Cheerios and Shedded Wheat. Two servings of Cheerios with 1 cup of skim Milk is only about 300 calories and is a lot to eat. 3 biscuits of Shedded Wheat, the big ones, with a cup of milk is about 360 calories.
    Both of these do me wonders for 3-4 hours. Can't stand cereal with gobs of sugar so I stick to the basic ones. As for hot cereal, don't eat hot cereal so I have no suggestions.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    I dive into two of the basics that have been around for years. Cheerios and Shedded Wheat. Two servings of Cheerios with 1 cup of skim Milk is only about 300 calories and is a lot to eat. 3 biscuits of Shedded Wheat, the big ones, with a cup of milk is about 360 calories.
    Both of these do me wonders for 3-4 hours. Can't stand cereal with gobs of sugar so I stick to the basic ones. As for hot cereal, don't eat hot cereal so I have no suggestions.
    haha... shedded :p
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Unsweetened, unsalted museli. It's been my go-to breakfast for years and I feel hollow without it now. It's low GI, has no sugar, is very filling and is quick to make and eat.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is filling for a little while. Then in a couple hrs I am watching the clock for lunch time.So a smoothie with milk & Greek yogurt is my go to breakfast.The high protein works for me.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    One dietician (diabetes educator) recommended I include some protein wwith my cereal to help me not feel hungry mid-morning. One suggestion was a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in (though I actually prefer almond butter when I can afford it)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    as "cereals" go, I only eat oats and grits.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I stir raw oatmeal into yogurt and eat it right away. It's chewy but not at all unpleasant. My husband likes shredded wheat -- several of the varieties have no added sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats don't fill me up at all. Go figure.

Two Weetabix with a container of Greek yogurt works pretty well for me though, and it's only 230-280 calories depending on the yogurt you use (I like using Oikos triple zero for the extra fiber). Add some fruit and you have a very high fiber breakfast.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is my go to for everything oatmeal http://www.theoatmealartist.com/

For wheat cereals I like weetabix but normally add something extra to it, peanut butter, jam, syrup, etc.

I love the sugary corn/rice cereals but I don't find them filling at all which is why I only eat them very occassionally as a snack on the go.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What about zoats? I find them a little more filling than just plain old oats, and the zucchini doesn't add many calories.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I like the kashi brand cereals- they have some different flavors- and for me it is filling