Running with dog

Options
So I was just wondering who else runs with their dogs on this site. I know i run with him because I just don't feel safe or comfortable running by myself and he's great at motivating me to keep going cause he likes to pull me along if i'm going too slow. He's also what motivates me to actually run through the day cause he's gets super excited every time i say the word and starts barking and whining in the direction his leash and harness are. By the way his name is Porky and he's a Corgi/ Pit mix.

Replies

• hmhteacher
    hmhteacher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't run with my dog but she is my walking partner. She is an American mastiff and not really built for long runs but I have to walk pretty fast to keep up with her walking strides. I think dogs are great motivators and its great for your health and his!!
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Once i get used to running with Porky i'm going to start going on walks with my dog Dolly a Chihuahua also because for obvious reasons she can't keep up with my running and I don't want her to feel left out cause me and porky are running everyday.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My pit Samson tries to run with me but he's just to stocky and his legs are too short. .. but boy can he walk .... he goes about 3.5-4.0 mph and can go as far a 6 miles though it has to be 70 degrees F or less out as he can't tolerate heat at all (I nearly gave him heat stroke once) ... this is why the next dog I get will be a greyhound so I can take him/her on long runs ...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I run with my dog Gizmo. He is an Aussie/Border Collie mix. If I start to slow down on our runs he nips my ankles and herds me along to go faster or tugs on my shorts. He's almost pantsed me more than once. He makes running.... Entertaining. But he keeps me going and is so happy and thrilled to be on a run I can't deny him.
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs but one of them Foxy really, really loves running. When my hubby is getting ready for a run foxy starts quivering with excitement and nibbles hubby's hands while he is doing up shoelaces on running shoes. When I am walking them, if I see a runner I have to hold onto him otherwise he tries to go off with the runner, strange behaviour for a rescue dog who will not let anybody other than me & hubby touch him!
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I run with my Springer Spaniel, he will can do 10k with no problems as long as there are puddles/streams to drink from. He just keeps on going and going... pity he ends up so wet and dirty or I'd take him more often!

I used to run shorter distances with one of my greyhounds but she was only walking while I was running! She only has 3 legs now though, so she can't manage the long walks any more. All the other greyhounds i have had (used to foster ex - racers before they went to pet homes) have been typical lazy greyhounds who will go a short walk and then lie around doing nothing for the rest of the day. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I take my dog Buster with me on runs sometimes. If I do take him, I always make sure to run an area that has a pond or lake. Sometimes I will run at the dog park as well, so that he doesn't have to be leashed.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I live in a questionable part of a rural neighborhood, I'm not allowed to leave without at least one dog (Have 2 german shepherds and 2 akita). Only my Shepherds get ran though, our akita are just too old lol.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a lab and german shepard who I run with. I love it and it gives them the exercise they need too!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I don't run with my dog but she is my walking partner. She is an American mastiff and not really built for long runs but I have to walk pretty fast to keep up with her walking strides. I think dogs are great motivators and its great for your health and his!!

My mastiff is itty-bitty (135lbs) and she loves running with me, but she's a little aggressive and I don't enjoy getting yanked off course if she wants to fight with someone. If I do take her out, it's late at night. :bigsmile:
  • jadeaudrey
    jadeaudrey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I ran with my American Bulldog. She is great company. Only downfalls is that she has tripped me over once (its funny now, but I was pretty annoyed at the time) and she is limited to cooler temps. She overheated badly once which was really scary
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have a dog to run with! I absolutely LOVED running with my brother's dog! I just can't afford to care for one the way a dog should be cared for, right now. :(
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    A black Labrador called Taz. He comes every time, and I don't think I could go running without him ;)
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Options
    running with your dog is great! Only thing I would say is don't take the dog if it's a warm day - it's just not fair on them, I've seen people running with their dogs at midday in the height of summer and the poor things really struggle, imagine running with a big thick fur coat on! But other than that it's great for both you and your dog, enjoy!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    When I started running last year mine 2 sheppard-lab cross dogs used to go on every run with me no matter how long, but this spring I noticed them slowing down at lot and being super tired for days after a long run. Now I just do a quick 20 mins with them and then head out on my own, they know where I am going without them and my hubby says they whine the whole time that I am gone. They were great partners to get me started with running and motivate me to get into a routine of doing it everyday, but sadly they are getting too old to do that anymore :frown:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    <

I don't as often as I used to now. My lab doesn't like to run. He pretty much tops out at 5k. Once we hit around 4k he acts like I'm dragging him but will get home and run laps around the backyard off leash.
    My older German Shepherd lives to run with me but he is almost 11 and has a some arthritis in his knee so we take it easy now.
    My other GSD is usually working when I run but if my husband is away or on vacation I'll take him.
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I also run with my dog. She is a lab and absolutely loves to go running with me. I always have her with me, since the times when I need to run (5am or 9pm) it is dark and I am not comfortable going by myself. But it's good exercise for her, too, so it works well. :)
  • kjordoyne
    kjordoyne Posts: 1
    Options
    I walk/jog about 20 min. at 7 am with my 3 year old blind and deaf Aussi, Charlie along the same route each day. The exercise ends up being intervals with occasional sniffing sessions between long walk fast and short, paced run sessions. I watch where we are going very carefully for critters, dips or nasty smelling spots. And I watch him carefully to see if he is excited or tired. After doing this for 3 weeks he seems more comfortable with the terrain and wants to run/ jog a bit more lately. I couldn't possibly keep up with him if he wanted to run full out but he seems to understand that and just jogs at my rate. We might start expanding the length of time out. I do feel much safer with him by my side and I doubt if I would go out if he weren't. I'm sure that these morning walks motivated me to get started back on my treadmill in the evening.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    My german shepherd/husky/saluki mix Glacias is my #1 running partner. She has trained with me for my 3 marathons and 8 half marathons and we are currently working on marathon training session #4. We did a 27km long run Monday morning, though I usually cap her long run efforts at 32k, by that point she's pretty tired, at least for a couple hours, then she wants to run again!

ETA: That's my crazy mutt below in my ticker :D