Running with dog

Options
2»

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    running with your dog is great! Only thing I would say is don't take the dog if it's a warm day - it's just not fair on them, I've seen people running with their dogs at midday in the height of summer and the poor things really struggle, imagine running with a big thick fur coat on! But other than that it's great for both you and your dog, enjoy!

You can run with your dog in the summer as well so long as you are willing to accommodate. I always make sure that our summer runs are first thing in the morning on hot days (though that's not necessarily a "cool" period where we live as it's often 25-30C by 6am). I pick running routes that cross water so that she can wade in to cool off, and make sure to carry extra water for her and that we take water breaks. I wouldn't say she struggles any worse than I do, but if I see her flagging it's a good indication that it's time to head in!
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I run with my border collie Elvira. My hubs trained her and she is a great running partner -- she runs right next to me. Best thing she does is follow a command called "switch", if she is running on my left side (her preference) and a runner or bike is coming toward us (which means they will pass on my left side where she is), i tell her switch and she goes behind me to run on my right and stays there until i tell her release. She has started to switch on her own now. I think it makes other runners and cyclists more comfortable to have a dog on the opposite side of the runner.

The funniest thing she does is watch the bikes and she starts to get into a crouch as she watches them approach --- the classic border collie stare and posture but she never breaks stride.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I run with my border collie Elvira. My hubs trained her and she is a great running partner -- she runs right next to me. Best thing she does is follow a command called "switch", if she is running on my left side (her preference) and a runner or bike is coming toward us (which means they will pass on my left side where she is), i tell her switch and she goes behind me to run on my right and stays there until i tell her release. She has started to switch on her own now. I think it makes other runners and cyclists more comfortable to have a dog on the opposite side of the runner.

The funniest thing she does is watch the bikes and she starts to get into a crouch as she watches them approach --- the classic border collie stare and posture but she never breaks stride.

That's a neat idea. I may steal it. My Shepherds heel and I used to try to move to the other side of the sidewalk to put myself between the person approaching and the dog (not because of the dog but for the other people in case they were nervous) but people never seem to get it and try to swing wider.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have a 6mo old Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler), and she and I have been walking since she was about 2mo old. We walk about 1-2miles twice daily, but in this Texas heat and humidity, I have to really be mindful of her comfort. I walk with her, then go solo for another mile or 2.

I have started C25K, so hopefully, by the time I can run 3 miles, the weather will be cooler and Cora (my pup) and I can start running together. I can't wait.

Any training tips from other dog runners is greatly appreciated!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I have a 6mo old Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler), and she and I have been walking since she was about 2mo old. We walk about 1-2miles twice daily, but in this Texas heat and humidity, I have to really be mindful of her comfort. I walk with her, then go solo for another mile or 2.

I have started C25K, so hopefully, by the time I can run 3 miles, the weather will be cooler and Cora (my pup) and I can start running together. I can't wait.

If you can get them used to going before you run it saves a ton of hassle with doggie bags. My older GSD does, but my lab is guaranteed to poop on the run.

Keep an eye on paw pads especially when it's warm.

Just like any training be consistent. Some people use a command, I've heard of others who clip the leash to their belt and that is the cue "we are running". I also use the word "break" to let them know when they can sniff and stuff (we use that command in other ways too so they know it). When first teaching them to run, give the command and run. If the dog stops to sniff, I say "no" and keep going and pull the dog along (you can slow down, I'm not saying drag the dog but if you stop completely the dog learns "I stop, she stops"). A few repetitions and the dog should get the idea of no stopping.
    I also have gotten to know when my dogs need to go so I' stop and give them the "break" command.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    I run with my dogs!

Use to run with my amstaff, but he got a CCL injury so he is out. He would run several miles no problem. He use to outrun me. Now I outrun him.

Another one of my pups is a beagle/basset hound mix ..., "bagle hound".. so he's a bit frumpy. He gets a mile every morning and on a nice cool day he can go three miles with me. He has quads that would make you blush. Looks like a fatty though

My pug is just a puppy and loves to run with us. He can outpace the beagle on sprints. I may be one of the very few owners of a fit pug LOL.
  • phw426
    phw426 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    our shelter in memphis is full of wonderful running partners that need rescue fast....come and get one and save a life and gain a firend and running companion..........you will not be sorry.
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Also check with your vet on when it is OK to run with your puppy. With our border collie, they recommended not running with her until she was a year old to allow her body to grow properly and be ready to handle the exercise. Then I built up her miles as we started just like I do for myself. I did walk her and hike with her until she was 1. Now she is 3 and runs and also hikes with a backpack with no issues. During the hot months, i try to run in the morning or evening on dirt trails to protect her pads. She also has booties for rocky terrain. She has super tough pads so we have not had any issues but our last border collie had very sensitive pads so we watch them pretty closely.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Also check with your vet on when it is OK to run with your puppy. With our border collie, they recommended not running with her until she was a year old to allow her body to grow properly and be ready to handle the exercise. Then I built up her miles as we started just like I do for myself. I did walk her and hike with her until she was 1. Now she is 3 and runs and also hikes with a backpack with no issues. During the hot months, i try to run in the morning or evening on dirt trails to protect her pads. She also has booties for rocky terrain. She has super tough pads so we have not had any issues but our last border collie had very sensitive pads so we watch them pretty closely.

Yes, the recommendation for my Lab was 1 - 2 years so I erred on the side of caution and waited the 2.
    Running with us at our pace is different then running on their own. You can even see the different gait.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    So I was just wondering who else runs with their dogs on this site. I know i run with him because I just don't feel safe or comfortable running by myself and he's great at motivating me to keep going cause he likes to pull me along if i'm going too slow. He's also what motivates me to actually run through the day cause he's gets super excited every time i say the word and starts barking and whining in the direction his leash and harness are. By the way his name is Porky and he's a Corgi/ Pit mix.
    D'awww!! Corgi mixes are so sweet... I run with my dog Brizbee (Briz, Spice Weasel, Pepper Mouse, and Bean Rat are alternate names). She's a Corgi/Blue Heeler cross. Her short little legs keep pace perfectly with my (also short) legs. Early in the morning, if it looks like no one else is out in my part of town, I'll let her off the leash and she'll run with me without getting too far ahead. By the end of a solid jog, we're both dog-tired.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

I have checked with my vet, in fact, the clinic is on our walking route. On occasion, he is out with the large animals (I live in a rural community) and waves us down, asking how the walks are progressing and how far we go.

And in Texas, it won't get cool until about November. Cora will be 10months by then. I don't anticipate really running with her on a consistent basis until next spring.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My husband used to take our collie x out for his runs. Last fall he took her out on a long run in the warm weather. Within an hour of being home she had a seizure. She does have Epilepsy. Since I'm much slower than my husband and just learning to jog with lots of walking in between I take her out now but only on cool days. My husband has recently started to take our bullmastiff out for his runs. There would be no way I can control a 125lb dog who is not well socalized.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I run my Puggle in cooler weather. He loves it! But when it's hot, he can barely stand to go outside in our yard for more than a minute, so I don't run him in the summer.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started running so I could tired out my siberian husky in less time (now I've actually grown to like it!). I live in Minneapolis and in the winter I am definitely the limiting factor (he can keep up with a 4 wheeler going 20mph no problem). Now that its nasty and humid I have to be careful not to over do it with him.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    running with your dog is great! Only thing I would say is don't take the dog if it's a warm day - it's just not fair on them, I've seen people running with their dogs at midday in the height of summer and the poor things really struggle, imagine running with a big thick fur coat on! But other than that it's great for both you and your dog, enjoy!

OMG thisss......I live in Houston and the temp index gets to be 100+ during the day and this starts in MAY......it pains me so much to see dogs struggling along the run trail at Memorial Park! ugh
  • katarina236
    katarina236 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love running with my dog. He is a 15 pound terrier mix. When we rescued him he was scrawny where you could see his ribs poking out. Now he is a lean mean running machine! We go in the morning since it is cooler and if I don't get up when the alarm goes on he will come in and make me get up. I made my own version of a hands free leash by tying one leash around my waist and tying the other leash to that so he is always by my side since he has a tendency to dart after small critters.