P90X or Body Beast

Options
Just finished first round of Insanity, looking to get leaner but can't make mind up over which workout to choose.

I'm 5'6" and weigh 149lbs BF is 15%

I'm looking to get overall definition including showing up my abs more.

Any advice helpful. Hope I given enough information.

Replies

• wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    I love Body Beast, the workouts are straight to the point and not too long, 30-50 minutes each. Body Beast is all about muscle hypertrophy and if you get your calories right you can definitely burn fat and get ripped with it while gaining muscle mass.

Love P90X too but it as completely different program. It is a more all around fitness program that will give you a more flexible body and has less resistance training.

Whichever program you choose, if you get your nutrition right you will burn fat and get the hard-deserved 6 packs.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    I love Body Beast, the workouts are straight to the point and not too long, 30-50 minutes each. Body Beast is all about muscle hypertrophy and if you get your calories right you can definitely burn fat and get ripped with it while gaining muscle mass.

Love P90X too but it as completely different program. It is a more all around fitness program that will give you a more flexible body and has less resistance training.

Whichever program you choose, if you get your nutrition right you will burn fat and get the hard-deserved 6 packs.

This.

I'm currently on 10th week of Body Beast (+1 week of set back due to gout flare up). The avatar and signature pictures are current.
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Thanks dude for the feedback.

Just completed Insanity yesterday and it done me great, terms of CV endurance, slight muscle definition etc but now want to take it up a notch.

Do you reckon if I start Body Beast my Insanity work will be short lived or am I being totally noobish.

I just assumed carry on suit i.e either P90X or Asylum..

But Body Beast I think is more suited to my needs..

Thanks, Chris
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Do you reckon if I start Body Beast my Insanity work will be short lived or am I being totally noobish.

I just assumed carry on suit i.e either P90X or Asylum..

But Body Beast I think is more suited to my needs..

Thanks, Chris

What do you mean? If you will lose some of the CV edurance you gain with Insanity? I am sure you will lose some as Body Beast is all about muscle Hypertrophy but don't get me wrong here. You will sweat like hell and burn a lot of calories with the Beast Cardio and on Legs days.

That is really up you, Asylum is more of an Insanity follow-up but it is different from the original because It has a lot of agility moves with cardio/intervals workouts. P90X has a few resistance training days, a few cardio day and some Yoga which makes it a more all around fitness program.

If you go with Body Beast or P90X, just remember that you will likely need a Pull-up bar and some dumbells for the resistance days. If you don't have those, you will at least need to buy some resistance bands.

Did you also thought about the new Shaun T program Focus T25?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Body Beast is a bulking program. Looking to get leaner? Not the best choice.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you are worried you can always do a hybrid of P90X & Insanity (I'm on wk 3 right now), my weight hasn't changed but I'm down a pant size so no complaints. I'm also doing this combined with Leangains, 16/8 and working out fasted.

Focus T25 is a great program too. I'm not sure of the weight part as I haven't tried that yet but the results from the test group are great.
  • Fuax75
    Fuax75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should also check out Tap Out XT. I have lost 16lbs in 8 weeks and I have build back a good amount of muscle with the resistance bands. Started at 285lbs down to 269lbs.

Hope you find what will work best for you.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Body Beast is a bulking program. Looking to get leaner? Not the best choice.

Yes it is a Bulking program but you can still use it to lose weight, he just needs to adjust his calorie intake for maintenance or a little lower than maintenance and he will burn fat.

A lot of people that i coach had their body fat % drop even with a calorie surplus with Body beast.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    If you are worried you can always do a hybrid of P90X & Insanity (I'm on wk 3 right now), my weight hasn't changed but I'm down a pant size so no complaints. I'm also doing this combined with Leangains, 16/8 and working out fasted.

Focus T25 is a great program too. I'm not sure of the weight part as I haven't tried that yet but the results from the test group are great.

I'm on week 9 of this hybrid. My weight has maintained, but I have A LOT more definition in my legs, shoulders and back. I'm afraid the abs and gluts will be the last to appear....oh well. :grumble: :laugh:
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i completed p90x a few weeks ago.. and now on week 6 of body beast. I love body beast so far... but p90x was a good starting point for me.

i feel way more of a pump with BB tho. both are good. good luck
  • babychris1
    Options
    Thanks guys.

How will I need to adjust my calories. How many whilst doing Body Beast per day to get lean but also gain size.

Currently eat around 1400 calories.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    How old are you Chris?
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I also am doing the hybrid and I am on the same week as you! Go girl! It's a wonderful change of pace for me!
  • babychris1
    Options
    How old are you Chris?

• mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    with body beast - i am eating roughly 1600-1800 calories. woman, 30 yr,
    I tried lower, but had no energy what so ever

I think you will def have to increase your cal's
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options

This. I've done both as well. This poster to right on.
    Both are great programs.
  • babychris1
    Options
    I will start Body Beast on Friday.

Great advice fellow MFP'ers

x
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I've done P90X, Insanity, TapOut XT, and currently doing RushFit...all are great workouts. I had not heard of Body Beast and it might be something I do next.

Great thread and comments, thanks.

8488541.png
  • babychris1
    Options
    Just completed my first workout of Body Beast - Chest&Tris

Damn it was tough. After doing Insanity I thought I was relatively strong but Sagi destroyed me.

Whole new groups of muscle working this time round.