Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If your body gets used to the exercise it won't be so efficient anymore .

what?

sorry that is not true…

Yes it is. You organism adapts to the stress and you burn less cal from the exercise you used to burn more. Like if I run every day 15 km at one point my body will adapt to the stress and I will burn less cal. That is why many ppl have problem with losing weight.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP and his bulking macros. Some of us don't do cardio.

@ndj1979 I'm curious what you think of the OPs protein. I think because I always overeat protein it seems low.

He has it set at .8 grams per pound of body weight, which is fine. Like you, I am a protein eating machine so I usually get one pound per pound of body weight. I was actually getting more than that for a while and I actually had a hard time getting to 50% carbs, imagine that! I actually had to cut down on protein and increase carbs...

I'm wondering if I'll have to do that. I mean I'm getting 160g of protein some days and don't think I understand the importance of carbs just yet. Anyway, don't want to derail. We can talk about that later.

its the insulin spike they create which signals your muscles to start growing….plus they are more calorie dense so helps you get into surplus...
  • ihab90
    ihab90 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I may get critized for this but I don't bother with macros
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    ihab90 wrote: »
    I may get critized for this but I don't bother with macros

Well that just opens a whole can of worms. But actually I somewhat agree with you. I've seen people bulk on very minimal protein and do just fine. And for that matter I've gained without even paying attention to what I ate at all, but more or less did a quick recomp.

And as for cardio, it just gives you more room to eat IMO. If you do 500 calories of cardio, as long as you eat the 500 calories back to support it, there is no harm done really. Cardio helps recovery when lifting as well, and it shocks me that so many people do only one or the other.
  • Ben2055
    Ben2055 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

what?

sorry that is not true…

Yes it is. You organism adapts to the stress and you burn less cal from the exercise you used to burn more. Like if I run every day 15 km at one point my body will adapt to the stress and I will burn less cal. That is why many ppl have problem with losing weight.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP and his bulking macros. Some of us don't do cardio.

@ndj1979 I'm curious what you think of the OPs protein. I think because I always overeat protein it seems low.

He has it set at .8 grams per pound of body weight, which is fine. Like you, I am a protein eating machine so I usually get one pound per pound of body weight. I was actually getting more than that for a while and I actually had a hard time getting to 50% carbs, imagine that! I actually had to cut down on protein and increase carbs...

I'm wondering if I'll have to do that. I mean I'm getting 160g of protein some days and don't think I understand the importance of carbs just yet. Anyway, don't want to derail. We can talk about that later.

Should i increase that protein grammage to 1g per body so 169? Also do you take shakes on a bulk cause that would limit your intake of whole foods like chicken etc?
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a similar goal of gaining 0.5 kg/week and MFP app gave me 2700 calories/day.
    @Ben2055 Just curious? How did you decide 4 months bulking period? Not 3 or 5? I mean I just want to know, may it help me as well. @arditarose @ndj1979 guys your feedback would be appreciated as well. Thank you!
  • Ben2055
    Options
    Was originally gonna do but as its my first bulk it will take time to get used too so someone reccomended me four haha
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Ben2055 wrote: »

what?

sorry that is not true…

Should i increase that protein grammage to 1g per body so 169? Also do you take shakes on a bulk cause that would limit your intake of whole foods like chicken etc?

I would leave your protein where it is.

As for shakes you can drink them or not, that is up to you. I prefer to eat real food and rarely ever drink shakes.

as far as calorie prioritization I would say the following..

1 - get micros and meet nutritional needs
    2 - make sure you get protein and fat minimums
    3 - fill in rest with carbs and eat calorie dense foods so that you are in a surplus.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Aani15 wrote: »
    I have a similar goal of gaining 0.5 kg/week and MFP app gave me 2700 calories/day.
    @Ben2055 Just curious? How did you decide 4 months bulking period? Not 3 or 5? I mean I just want to know, may it help me as well. @arditarose @ndj1979 guys your feedback would be appreciated as well. Thank you!

it usually takes about two to three weeks to get your calories worked out and actually start gaining so if you only run a three month bulk you are really cutting down on the time that you are actually bulking….hence four months..

in the end it is all personal preference and your goals will dictate how long you bulk. This time around I am shooting to from 175 to 190 and i am planning on doing that from September to February so just about five months….
  • Ben2055
    Options

it usually takes about two to three weeks to get your calories worked out and actually start gaining so if you only run a three month bulk you are really cutting down on the time that you are actually bulking….hence four months..

in the end it is all personal preference and your goals will dictate how long you bulk. This time around I am shooting to from 175 to 190 and i am planning on doing that from September to February so just about five months….

Do you weigh yourself once a week? And if you dont gain, up your kcal adjusting your macros as you get heavier?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Do you weigh yourself once a week? And if you dont gain, up your kcal adjusting your macros as you get heavier?

Yes, I weigh in every friday. If I have no gain or two weeks, then I up my calories. yes, as you get heavier you will have to re-adjust your calorie and macros. When I started I was gaining on about 2900 calories a day, as of today, I am up to 3300 calories a day.

You may want to consider automatically increasing your calories by 100 every 5 pounds you gain ….
  • Ben2055
    Options

Yes, I weigh in every friday. If I have no gain or two weeks, then I up my calories. yes, as you get heavier you will have to re-adjust your calorie and macros. When I started I was gaining on about 2900 calories a day, as of today, I am up to 3300 calories a day.

You may want to consider automatically increasing your calories by 100 every 5 pounds you gain ….

Ok. So ill weigh in on a 2500 calorie clean bulk once every friday morning if i dont gain for 2 weeks on trot ill increase the calories, by how much? 100, 200?

And ill just readjust the MFP maconutrient goal but keep with the ratios? So if my weight goes from 169 to 170 ill do, 0.8x170 etc...?

If that makes sense?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ok. So ill weigh in on a 2500 calorie clean bulk once every friday morning if i dont gain for 2 weeks on trot ill increase the calories, by how much? 100, 200?

And ill just readjust the MFP maconutrient goal but keep with the ratios? So if my weight goes from 169 to 170 ill do, 0.8x170 etc...?

If that makes sense?

yes, that makes perfect sense.

I would say no gain then increase by 100 calories a day, and then if still no gain the following week then another 100 calories a day,etc, etc..
  • Ben2055
    Options

If that makes sense?

I would say no gain then increase by 100 calories a day, and then if still no gain the following week then another 100 calories a day,etc, etc..

Okay mate ill do that. Do you meal prep with a bulk or just go with the flow and be vigilant on tracking macros? Im just looking at what i could eat when i start and im struggling with a diet plan haha
  • ndj1979
    edited November 2015
    Options

If that makes sense?

Okay mate ill do that. Do you meal prep with a bulk or just go with the flow and be vigilant on tracking macros? Im just looking at what i could eat when i start and im struggling with a diet plan haha

I usually pre log my day and see where everything is falling and then make adjustments as necessary ..

I have been at this for a while so when I pre-log everything is almost spot on ..

Also, I would not be worried about making sure you have perfect macros…just make sure you hit the protein and fat minimums….
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

what?

sorry that is not true…

Like ndj said you don't need to increase it, if you eat over it though it's fine. I'm just a protein junkie.

I drink shakes simply because my bulking calories are still rather low and I constantly want to eat MORE than my surplus...Some protein powder in water is low calorie and satisfying for me, and why I'm always so unnecessarily high on protein. That and I'll eat like 450g of Fage at once.
  • Ben2055
    Options

If that makes sense?

I usually pre log my day and see where everything is falling and then make adjustments as necessary ..

I have been at this for a while so when I pre-log everything is almost spot on ..

Also, I would not be worried about making sure you have perfect macros…just make sure you hit the protein and fat minimums….

Protein and fat minimums are a must then, not so much carbs?
  • Ben2055
    Options

If that makes sense?

I have no problem hitting 138g protein, carbs im ok with just fat is a issue haha
  • arditarose
    Options

If that makes sense?

I have no problem hitting 138g protein, carbs im ok with just fat is a issue haha

I had issues with fat in a deficit but I think you'll find in a surplus it's pretty easy.
  • Ben2055
    Options
    So..aslong as i hit the protein and fat minimums and try my best to hit carbs and eat at the surplus being 2500 calories that should be fine?
  • arditarose
    Options
    So..aslong as i hit the protein and fat minimums and try my best to hit carbs and eat at the surplus being 2500 calories that should be fine?

Of course. If you hit protein and fat, carbs go along for the ride. The only thing is if you overdo fat or protein, you might not get enough carbs. But that's probably a non-issue for most.