Help: Diet ends in no sexdrive /Hormone resetting?

Options
Sledgehammer66
Sledgehammer66 Posts: 5 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello guys,

as the title says mine and my girlfriends sexdrive stalled to zero. We did a rather extreme diet called the "rapid fat loss" diet from lyle mcdonald. He is no fraud, but a clever guy. This is basicly a protein sparing fast. So you can imagine it is rather extreme and hard, since you barely touch any real food which can give you energy.
We stopped the diet now and had a refeed yesterday. Today as well. We want to continue with a normal diet now. But it was a challenge we wanted to do. We definatly didn't need that hard punch, but we took it. Now i am at 80 kg 17% bodyfat.
However we lost our sex drive now completly. Simply because we can't. We literally trashed our metabolism with that action.

However. What we did might be stupid, but we need help now. Seriously. This threatens us more than you might imagine.

So the question is: How long does it take to normalize all the hormones in the body again? What can we eat? What should we focus on?

Thanks for everything guys

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You stopped the diet two days ago? How long were you on it?

I'm sure you'll bounce back shortly, but if you haven't in a week or so, make an appointment with your doctor.

The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook sounds like low calorie Atkins. So, how to eat now, definitely more calories and probably more carbs. As to the exact macros that are best for you in this situation, sorry, cannot help with that. It may have been simply the low calories that messed you up, but you may do better with more carbs. I like 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein, but that's me.

For the calories, just plug your stats into MFP and eat the amount it gives you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

I think you should leave a review on Amazon about your experience.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Too bad that clever guy didn't warn you. I suggest a ten day sex fast, limiting yourself to cuddles and kind words. Eat normally, watching your portions. KY to start. Hopefully it all works out.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Go one better and actually contact Lyle on his forum here - Rapid Fat Loss

As this is both in his book and elsewhere regarding it described as an extreme, short term diet, and a PSMF(Protein Sparing Modified Fast), how long were you on it, did you change any element of it from how it was described(if so why?), and were you aware that this is an often reported side effect of extreme low calorie diets, both on Lyle's forums and in general?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I second the opinion to leave a review on the Amazon site so that future shills are duly warned.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I second the opinion to leave a review on the Amazon site so that future shills are duly warned.

FWIW, Lyle McDonald isn't a huckster. He's very clear up front that the RFL is an extreme diet involving a huge deficit. He also specifies periodic free meals, refeeds and full diet breaks (eating at maintenance) as part of the protocol - which people desperate for quick results may be prone to avoid doing.

I'd second the recommendation to contact Lyle on his support forum. He has a sub-forum specifically dedicated to RFL and regularly answers questions there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I lost my libido trying to cut my last few pounds before a bulk. I assume it was a combination of low fat intake and obsession with training. I've been reversing for the past month and it's already better. You guys will be fine.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Lyle McDonald controls his internet image, doesn't he? There is no English wiki on him, only Italian. I would check wiki first to see if there is community consensus on his work.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Lyle responds pretty quickly on his face book page as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sex toys
    Lube
    And a whole heap of other sites
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh and ice cream

Ice cream makes everything better
  • arditarose
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sex toys
    Lube

Tried. Still no substitute for being genuinely turned on unfortunately :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh and ice cream

Ice cream makes everything better

Actually, I found that a high fat meal together made it a little better lol.
  • Sued0nim
    edited November 2015
    Options
    :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    :)

Enjoy that Malbec. Have one for me lol
  • Sledgehammer66
    Sledgehammer66 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies. Especially the serious ones. I read a lot more about it now and also contacted lyle. Some of you might didn't realize that you can really kill your hormones with a bad/wrong/or intense diet. And with your hormones gone, so goes your sex drive. And of course not only that. I mean: your hormones are gone. You might look at your partner and think: Who is that? Slightly exaggerated of course, but still.
    Anyway. Looks like i have to load up on fats and carbs. For me there is an increase in my wellbeing allready. I am pretty sure, things will get back to normal.
    Just a reminder: Don't overdo it.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

FWIW, Lyle McDonald isn't a huckster. He's very clear up front that the RFL is an extreme diet involving a huge deficit. He also specifies periodic free meals, refeeds and full diet breaks (eating at maintenance) as part of the protocol - which people desperate for quick results may be prone to avoid doing.

I'd second the recommendation to contact Lyle on his support forum. He has a sub-forum specifically dedicated to RFL and regularly answers questions there.

No, he isn't a huckster. He specifically says that RFL is an extreme diet and that as some people are going to follow short-term extreme diets no matter what he's proposing an effective and safe one.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Lyle responds pretty quickly on his face book page as well.

That's good to hear.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I would give it time on a more sensible diet plan. Unless you have damaged your body to the point where death by starvation is inevitable, your body will recover in time. You can't permanently "destroy your metabolism" except by fatal malnutrition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sex toys
    Lube

Ya, this site does nothing for my libido but the discussion boards on kinky sex sites do.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    TMI